“Unusual museum” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Maerkisches Museum

Maerkisches Museum
Am Koellnischen Park 5 | 10179 Berlin, 10179 Berlin, Germany (Mitte)
+49 30 24002162
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #315 of 999 things to do in Berlin
More attraction details
Owner description: This 40+ room museum has a large variety of exhibits of Berlin city history, including art, theater history and mechanical musical instruments.
Crowborough, UK
29 attraction reviews
“Unusual museum”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

This is an eclectic mix of all sorts of exhibits in a building that looks like a large church or monastic buiilding. The best exbits are the barrel organs, the toys, the religious artefacts and some Secessioist paintings. The signage is mostly in German; there is no audio-guide - there needs to be more explanations in English to appeal more to foriegn visitors. The staff are quite abrupt except the two at the entrance doing the tickets and the cloakroom.

Visited January 2013

Berlin, Germany
6 attraction reviews
“Nice old building, quite friendly staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

I was there with my 3.5 years old daughter. Unlike other people her, I didn't have any negative "adventures" with the staff of museum - they were very friendly all the time(I don't speak German very good). One of them even shown working hurdy-durdy to my kid. My kid an I enjoyed much stereo photo machine, with pictures of old Berlin. The only thing I was missing there was some story behind - they collections seemed to me not connected in some sequence. Dominating part were things from XIX/beginning of XX century - paintings, photos, few things from communism time, then there were some excavations from middle ages (knights armours and weapons).
I was only not informed at the entrance, that to make photos, you have to buy extra ticket/permission.

Visited November 2012
Buenos Aires, Argentina
19 attraction reviews
“beautiful building, great museum to understand germany history”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2012

enjoy it, is worth a visit. Very interesting collections and objects. not very well known, but beautiful

Visited March 2011
Limerick, Ireland
8 attraction reviews
“Some nice things to see (no translations)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

It is very easy to find as it is 250m down the road from the Markisches Museum U-Bahn

The entry fee is very good value. Although it doesn't have the ancient Greek or Roman artefacts that larger more well known museums have it's quite still interesting.

I really enjoyed upstairs where they had a photo machine. When you looked in you saw photos from 1800's - 1900's of Berlin and they were 3d. It was strange but felt like you could almost reach out and touch the people in front of you.

I found the staff to be polite and helpful. One man showed us different items and told us about them. He let us hold some of the toys and use a cash register from the 1800's.

**None of the items are translated so you need to have German to read about them** But they are worth looking at even if you can't read the descriptions.

Visited September 2011
the highlands
60 attraction reviews
“save your time”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2010

soon as we entered the building i was pushed into giving them my bag AND coat as they wouldnt let me in with them! i felt quite intimidated by the female staff and got only dirty looks from them when i and my husband asked why other females where walking in with their bags and coats, we finally got told that my bag was too big! but they never gave an answer to why i had to leave my coat, even though other women had theirs! everything in the museum was in german only and to be honest there was nothing fantastic in there.

Martin S, Leiter Öffentlichkeitsarbeit at Maerkisches Museum, responded to this review, March 10, 2014
We want to apologize for your trouble! Thank you for the feedback, we will deliver it to the costumer service department. We hope you come back and have a better experience in the future.