“Fun and stylish” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
London, United Kingdom
“Fun and stylish”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

I was wary of this restaurant from the other reviews, but it proved to be a good bet. Portions were generous , and staff were warm and friendly (not so often does that happen in this city). It's nice having an oasis of Britishness in Berlin's coolest district. Amazingly easy to reach too, with Mehringdamm U-Bahn just outside the door.

The outdoor seating to the side is a real suntrap and a nice place to get some rays on one of Berlin's rare sunny days.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Berlin, Germany
“Shocked by poor quality”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

Went for lunch today for 20th anniversary. Chips and dip ok, tomato soup poor quality. Decided not to stay for anything else. Place smells like a bad chippie (old fat), staff member very unfriendly. Staff member sat on tables when delivering bill and getting money to patrons - never seen that before (yuck). Paid our bill, expected change but staff member said thanks and walked off to kitchen with change - I had not indicated there was a tip (and I would not have given a tip voluntarily). Would not recommend this restaurant. If this is authentic Brit food and place then not a good look for GB.

• Visited January 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Berlin, Germany
“I wish I could say it was great, but it was only ok...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012 via mobile

I've been to East London a couple of times before for lunch with friends and also at tea time and found both food and atmosphere very nice. Good choice of cakes and tea, friendly service.

Unfortunately I found things have changed when I last visited for a dinner with my husband; it was his first time at East London and was really looking forward to some nice proper British food, but he was quite disappointed. First of all, we were surprised that the place was completely empty; a little sad when you go out for dinner on a Sunday evening. What a shame; it's such a lovely place, I don't understand why that is, but suspect it may be that the quality of the food served got slightly worse...

The food. I had tried their meat filled pasties before and found them very tasty; this time they weren't as fresh, I'm sorry to say. The stuffed roasted chicken with mash was nice, if a little heavy due to its creamy sauce. Not much meat on the plate, but the price was so low (€ 7,90) that I don't feel I should complain. My husband was disappointed with his rib eye steak; the portion was massive, which is such a shame as so much food goes wasted... The plate was so full of sauce, wedge potatoes, salad and sauce that he did not have enough space to cut the meat properly. The meat was ok quality but not cooked properly: very high temperature in the pan probably made the surface extremely hard and spoiled the taste. All in all, an average dish.

I'm sorry to say this, as we do like the place and the staff is very friendly...and we liked the idea of good, modern British food as there's not many other places that serve it in Berlin...but it needs to be better quality! Hopefully reviews can motivate the kitchen stuff to go back to their initial good standard!

Still, I would recommend this place for a nice tea and a slice of cake or some scones, in the afternoon.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Milan, Italy
“Nothing special”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

East London offers a special English roast every Sunday, but on Sunday evening (even after getting confirmation by mail there was still some roast) there was no roast left.
I have chosen a marinated chicken fillet that was quite good. Cheesecakes are ok. Service on average.

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

Went for full English breakfast, had high expectations considering the price, but two token gesture bits of streaky bacon, not a great sausage (advertised as cumberland but tasted like it was made out beef), and a cold, flattened tomato that actually tasted unpleasant did not justify it. Beans were beans, egg was fried, hash brown was not technically a hash brown but mashed potato, deep or shallow fried. I skipped the mushrooms. I wanted to be able to say it was brilliant, but it wasn't, sorry East London.

Actually I just looked up the price of the menu online (10.50 if you're interested) and it says you get two fried eggs but I only got one. Agree with other comment about service, my coffee cup had a huge obvious chip right on the rim and my meal came before my cutlery. No complaints, just really disappointed.

• Visited November 2012