“I wish I could say it was great, but it was only ok...” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: English
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Berlin, Germany
“I wish I could say it was great, but it was only ok...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012 via mobile

I've been to East London a couple of times before for lunch with friends and also at tea time and found both food and atmosphere very nice. Good choice of cakes and tea, friendly service.

Unfortunately I found things have changed when I last visited for a dinner with my husband; it was his first time at East London and was really looking forward to some nice proper British food, but he was quite disappointed. First of all, we were surprised that the place was completely empty; a little sad when you go out for dinner on a Sunday evening. What a shame; it's such a lovely place, I don't understand why that is, but suspect it may be that the quality of the food served got slightly worse...

The food. I had tried their meat filled pasties before and found them very tasty; this time they weren't as fresh, I'm sorry to say. The stuffed roasted chicken with mash was nice, if a little heavy due to its creamy sauce. Not much meat on the plate, but the price was so low (€ 7,90) that I don't feel I should complain. My husband was disappointed with his rib eye steak; the portion was massive, which is such a shame as so much food goes wasted... The plate was so full of sauce, wedge potatoes, salad and sauce that he did not have enough space to cut the meat properly. The meat was ok quality but not cooked properly: very high temperature in the pan probably made the surface extremely hard and spoiled the taste. All in all, an average dish.

I'm sorry to say this, as we do like the place and the staff is very friendly...and we liked the idea of good, modern British food as there's not many other places that serve it in Berlin...but it needs to be better quality! Hopefully reviews can motivate the kitchen stuff to go back to their initial good standard!

Still, I would recommend this place for a nice tea and a slice of cake or some scones, in the afternoon.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Milan, Italy
“Nothing special”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

East London offers a special English roast every Sunday, but on Sunday evening (even after getting confirmation by mail there was still some roast) there was no roast left.
I have chosen a marinated chicken fillet that was quite good. Cheesecakes are ok. Service on average.

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

Went for full English breakfast, had high expectations considering the price, but two token gesture bits of streaky bacon, not a great sausage (advertised as cumberland but tasted like it was made out beef), and a cold, flattened tomato that actually tasted unpleasant did not justify it. Beans were beans, egg was fried, hash brown was not technically a hash brown but mashed potato, deep or shallow fried. I skipped the mushrooms. I wanted to be able to say it was brilliant, but it wasn't, sorry East London.

Actually I just looked up the price of the menu online (10.50 if you're interested) and it says you get two fried eggs but I only got one. Agree with other comment about service, my coffee cup had a huge obvious chip right on the rim and my meal came before my cutlery. No complaints, just really disappointed.

• Visited November 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Berlin
“Food is OK, service is not.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

Berlin sorely miss good modern English grub and a place to go for Sunday Roast so I was thrilled when I found out about East London. I called them up and booked ourselves for Sunday lunch roast. "No problems" I was told. We showed up at 12:30 only to discover that the Sunday roast is only served for dinner. Nice, after on the phone they had booked us for lunch. Oh well.
We switched to veggie English breakfast for my friends and fish and chip for me. We were told that they had run out of veggie sausage so we asked to swap them with more hash browns. Ten minutes later we were told that they had run out of hash browns too.
Each of our three orders came at 10 minutes distance from each other so we could not eat together and the first thing to arrive was a sausage and bacon platter in lieu of the veggie breakfast we had ordered. When the veggie breakfasts arrived they forgot the toasts and it took another 15 minutes to get them.
The food itself was OK, the chips are tasty, the fish is acceptable but a bit on the dry side, but the whole experience was spoiled by the unacceptable sloppiness.
It's a real shame as I was really excited about the place (it does look quite nice) but I really can't recommend it until they sort themselves out.
When the breakfasts

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Friendly service and great good value food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

This relatively small restaurant offers great value British classic food - fish and chips, beef and ale pie, crumbles etc with a friendly service. The menu is relatively limited but the food cooked to a high standard.

We were a party of eight including four children aged 8 to 14. The portions are substantial, everything is freshly cooked and very tasty. I had fish and chips with the best mushy peas I have eaten in ages. My sister in law had the pie which had big chunks of real, tender steak and came with a mound of mash or freshly done chips. We paid around 8 - 10 Euros for a main course. The restaurant is long a thin with a big screen TV at one end which was showing the London Olympics when we went. We sat at a tall communal bar type table on bar seats which was sociable though the seats were a little low down especially for the children. Our waitress was lovely, especially when we entered into a long negotiation with the children over whether they would eat mushy peas or not - to solve the issue she arranged for fresh peas and baked beans. We would definitely eat there again - recommended!

• Visited August 2012