“Hotel Gunia” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #142 of 662 Hotels in Berlin
New Orleans
“Hotel Gunia”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

Had a great time in November in Berlin at the Hotel Gunia. Nice rooms, close to lots of restaurants, bars, and train stop. Folks could not have been nicer, great breakfast in the morning, would stay there again. Nita, Jay and Brian.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
  • Polish first
New Orleans, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2011

Three friends and I stayed at the Gunia recently and loved it. It's located near the U-Bahn in a great neighborhood that makes you feel like a local rather than a tourist. There's lots to do in the area and what must be the best bartender in Berlin is just around the corner at the Green Door. The rooms have hardwood floors, high ceilings and wonderful old functional (!) windows. While not fancy, they were very nice and certainly worth the price - maybe more. Breakfast was very good and Simone took care of every detail. The owners seemed like old friends - very helpful and actually concerned about our having a good time, not only in their hotel but in the city itself. This was my first time in Berlin and can't wait to return. I know where I'll be staying. Hey, Simone!!!

Room Tip: Ask for room 7 - it's large and close to the dining room.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2010

Boy! I wish my entire German visit had been at the Gunia for 60 euro/night instead of having to transfer after one night to a first class American hotel (to be with my family) which was sterile, sterile, sterile. The Gunia, on the other hand, has a memorably wonderful owner, Simone, (the Hilton provided us with an inept and mendacious concierge) and rooms with 12-15 foot ceilings strung with classically beautiful chandeliers. The breakfast room had a lovely authentically old and Germanic feel to it with delicious German breads, pancetta, ham, cheese, etc. My room was a good size, furnished simply, and sparling clean.
My plane arrived at 2 am. Simone, aware of the hideous arrival time, kindly greeted me close to 3 am. The next day, she provided me with an excellent subway map and very precise directions getting me to Sans Souci. To retain a sense of actually being in Germany and at a wonderful rate, this is the place to go!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2010

I stayed at Hotel Gunia in July 2010. Having been to Berlin a few times I prefer to stay in the Shoneberg area and the hotel is perfectly located near the intersection of Eisenacherstr. and Motzstr., about 10 mins walk to Nollendorplatz U-Bahn. It is fairly typical of a Berlin pension, with rooms coming off a central corridor around a main, shared dining area. Each room is self-contained with its own TV and bathroom and while basic, perfectly comfortable. Breakfast is a highlight; copious and delicious, served by the ever-cheerful Simone and a great way to start the day. Simone is also a very helpful source of assistance and information, providing maps, public transport tickets and guidance on sights to see. The best part is that it feels like you are staying at someone's home rather than a hotel! I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2010

I spent alot of time reviewing hotels for our European trip. This was the worst hotel ever!!! Simone DID NOT speak English at all. I cant understand the reviews that said she did. Also not very friendly. Husband was better than her. It seemed like it was always an inconvenince for Simone to do anything. Also wasnt able to give us directions to the simplest places. Neighborhood was horrible!! Totally gay community. Very loud area. Our room was #1 and looked out on main street. Directly across from bar with loud customers until 3 and 4 in morning and bright lights. Room had no air conditioning so if you closed the windows to block noise had no air. It was about 86 F when we were there. We stayed 2 nights. Both nights internet went down after 11. Breakfast was good. Service was not that friendly. Europeans got pancetta ham and we got cheap sliced ham from package. Also you have to climb about 15 steps up to the pension. There was no phone, clock or hair dryer. Asked at desk and there was one hair dryer to share among all guests. One review that said the rooms had been updated must have stayed in a different room because our furniture was very old, worn out and almost to the point of nasty.

When I read about this hotel on trip advisor I got an entirely different opinion about this hotel. I would never ever recommend this hotel. The neighborhood is awful. I am not anti gay but it was overboard. It had shops with the leather and studs on male manniquins and I didnt consider it upscale at all.

I stayed in Budapest, Vienna, Praque, Berlin, Copenhagen and Stockholm in various types of accommadations and this one was the worse!!!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2010

Spent 5 days here in early July. First the good: very friendly and informative staff, good German breakfast, clean (but rather small) rooms. The not so good: thin walls make late-returning neighbors a pain, no a/c which can be a problem when the temperature hits 37 C., is in the heart of a gay district (which can result in you being approached by male prostitutes if you are a single male returning in the late evening (especially on weekends). All in all, I enjoyed my stay and would return again-- a good deal at 60 Euro/night

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Luxembourg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2010

This was a 3 day trip present for my mum's 70th birthday, her dream to visit Berlin. From the moment I spoke to Simone the owner, I felt reassured that this was the right choice for our stay. As soon as we arrived Simone spent an hour with us explaining all the important sites of the city, how to get around with the trains, and as it was our first time in Berlin and had arrived without much preparation, her friendly dedication helped us to get the most out of the trip.. her restaurant recommendations were perfect too! One detail which touch touched our hearts is that the owner put flowers in my mother's room, as she knew of her birthday. This hotel is not five star, but it is in a great location, the rooms are basic with charm and very clean. There is TV in the room. And breakfast each morning in the main dining hall is a treat. The house in itself is a charming example of Berlin architecture that has been preserved in excellent condition and adds to the experience of being in Berlin. Nice quiet street. but still centrally located and walking distance to main shops and transport. We enjoyed our stay and if we would have to return, we would stay at Hotel Gunia again, without hesitation. The owners of this hotel live their hospitality for others, they don't just talk about it! This is what made this hotel stand apart from so many others we have visited everywhere. Thank you!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Gunia? Share your experiences!