“Efficient but unfriendly to a solo traveller.” 3 of 5 stars

The Circus Hostel
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   Weinbergsweg 1a, 10119 Berlin, Germany (Mitte)   |
Ranked #7 of 323 Specialty Lodging in Berlin
London, United Kingdom
“Efficient but unfriendly to a solo traveller.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014 via mobile

This is difficult to review as the circus hostel offers most of what you would expect from a good hostel. It was generally clean (although lacked toilet paper on a number of occasions), efficient but staff lacked friendliness, well situated and breakfast was pretty good. I, however, as solo female traveller did not feel hugely welcomed. Having come straight from the friendliest hostel in Amsterdam this was a real disappointed. Perhaps this comes from the fact it is a big hostel, or maybe I was unlucky with the people in my room who didn't seem to be bothered about meeting new people. Even when I was sat downstairs not even a smile was returned to me. Would I recommend the circus hostel? Yes if you are with a group of friends looking for a drunken few days in Berlin but no if you are a solo traveller looking to meet like minded people.

• Stayed April 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
  • Turkish first
Santiago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

This is one of the best Hostels i have stayed in, the rooms were big and well equipped, the common areas were great , the bathrooms very clean and comfortable, excellent location , i'd definitely would stayed there again in my next visit to Berlin.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014 via mobile

We stayed in an apartment in the top floor.
Really spacious and has a great view.

Across the road for the subway and the best restaurants in Berlin a walking distance away.

We highly recccomend!

...............................................

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2014

We arranged a lads trip to Berlin for 3 nights, 4 days. We were allocated a 10 bed dorm for 8 of us which was nice as it meant we could all be together. The hostel itself is very modern & clean. Would highly recommend to anyone thinking of staying in Berlin on a budget! The all you can eat breakfast is also a must!

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014

Having stayed at the Circus Hotel in 2012 with wife and in-laws, this time I found myself in Berlin alone (for a fieldtrip). Based on the strength of experience last time, and the good rating on this site, I lumped for a room in a 4/5 bed dorm.

First to the positives. The hostel is clean (rooms were fine, showers scrupulously clean, toilets took a beating but were cleaned regularly). Sound insulation from Torstrasse (I was in 218 so facing that road) was fine indeed. The reception staff were largely helpful, the location is great, the wifi was serviceable (signal sometimes poor in my room), the bedding and bed fine. On this basis I would say it's an average hostel, which I would have bumped up to very good (not excellent) bar some issues below.

On check in, clearly the person on the desk was poorly drilled. Granted it was 11pm on a Saturday night, but they failed to note I had ordered breakfast (I realised on day 2 other people had vouchers issued), so I ended up paying each morning for breakfast. When I came to settle my account a few days later, another desk clerk attempted to charge me then - which they of course did not do when I explained I had not received any vouchers.

Another mistake on check in was the padlocks you rent (small lockable units by each bed, with a charging socket, neat idea) was that I paid a 10 euro deposit. On checking out I was handed 5 euros back and when I queried this, I was told that the deposit had changed recently and the check in person had made a mistake. Again, I got my 10 euros back, but I know a fellow room mate paid 10 and got 5 back, hmm. Good money spinner rather than a change of price?

Two issues related to sound were a) slamming doors from down the long corridor - fortunately I sleep soundly so this didn't bother me but would others. b) is a little more frustrating: on my final night I turned in at midnight, with 3 out of 4 beds occupied in the room. When I awoke next at 1.20am the 4th bed had been taken by another person; now the Circus can't help that he snored, but putting a 4th in a room, after midnight, in a room already with 3 in is a poor show unless the building was absolutely full to the gills. I don't know if that were the case but it was a little gripe.

So, all in all, an average hostel which could be made much, much, much better by better education of the reception staff on late. A few other tweaks like room allocation late at night wouldn't hurt if possible. Perhaps soft closers on doors in long corridors would be a bonus too? These things would have hiked my rating. As it is, I am glad to be married and mostly a hotel guy these days! As this wasn't the best 4 nights sleep I have ever had.

Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Jarvisburg, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2014

I stayed at this hostel three years ago (June 2011) and am still reminiscing about how amazing this place is. I was originally only going to stay two days but was having such a great time that I ended up changing my entire itinerary just so I could stay here for almost a week! Yes, this is because Berlin is a great city, but I would not have experienced it to the fullest without the recommendations from the staff or the friends I made here at this hostel.

I stayed in a dorm room. It was clean, had lock boxes, individual bed lights, and a table and chairs for people to meet and hang out together in the room. The shared bathrooms were clean and very well-kept. The breakfast was delicious and reasonably priced. The hostel is in a great location and is right next to public transportation stations. There is also a bar downstairs that makes it really convenient to meet other travelers staying in the hostel. I was traveling alone, so this was really helpful.

One day, I rented a bike from the hostel with a friend I met in my dorm room. Upon renting the bike, the front desk attendant gave us a map and drew a great biking route around the city. He also noted good places to stop along the way, including restaurants, bars, and parks. The route he gave us was amazing. I saw so much of Berlin and had what may have been one of the best days of my life!

I also used the computers there and took a recommended tour of Potsdam, which was excellent. From what I remember, this hostel was a bit more expensive than others, but please shell out the few extra dollars to stay here - you will not regret it!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here last summer and loved it. The bed was comfy and clean and the toilets and shower facilities were great. The staff were friendly and very helpful. It's located at Rosenthaler platz and has most of what you need around there ie shops, takeaways, restaurants, bars and cafes etc definitely try a kebab and Currywurst round there.

Been to The Circus Hostel? Share your experiences!