Now I just stayed in Berlin from 18 dec to 2 jan 2013 in the Circus Hostel and I want to share my wonderful experience.
1. Nice affordable prices, considering its superb location. Just north is Prenzlauer Berg and just south is the Hackescher Markt.
Tram stop literally standing outside the hostel door. Going to Museum Insel? Just hop the tram which takes you there direct.
Train station (U-Bahn Rosenthaler Platz) literally 6 meters from hostel door. Getting to and from Tegel airport is a breeze.
2. Hungry? No problem. The hostel itself serves cheap, good food. Nearby is the Schlemmer Buffet, literally 8 meters from hostel door. Opposite is a 24h mart and a Back Factory, selling great, cheap pastries and sandwiches. Up the road is that Swiss restaurant Nola am Weinberg.
What I m trying to say is, this hostel is in a great location, not just for public transport but also for food.
Don't believe me? Check the lonely planet for Germany, or just check the food recommendations on this here website. Notice how there are so many recommended eats from both sources that are actually quite close to the Circus Hostel! Notice that the restaurants listed above were ALL listed in lonely planet and/or tripadvisor?
Can I give you more examples? Ok. You heard of W der Imbiss? Yeah just take the tram one stop up the street. It's right there. Or you heard of Konnopke Imbiss? Yeah just take the tram 3 stops up the street. It's right there. The location of the hostel is just too good for eats, just do some research on good eats and see for yourself!!
3. The shopping in the area is ok. Some interesting shops in the area like a huge comic shop, a shop selling DDR memorabilia, a shop selling classic or old school vinyls etc. worth a look. You want the FLEA MARKET AT MAUER PARK? Babe just take the tram 3 stops up the street and walk some 200 meters. You're there. Did I mention the hostels location is too good?
4. There is a LAUNDROMAT in the vicinity. Literally ten meters from the hostel door. Opens at like 6 or 7 am and closes at 11 pm. Went there twice to wash clothes. Cheap, soap powder provided, ok more or less friendly service. Open Sundays too.
5. Bedroom was cosy? Everything was clean. Clean sheets, clean pillow. i had the single bedroom. Keep your own room clean, I don't think they clean your room daily, hence the low price you pay. Bed was ok. I could sleep. I had to use the common bathrooms, which were quite clean!! Thank god!! And the shower cubicles were like separated by walls and doors that can be locked. Total privacy. Once again, thank god for this, I was so afraid it would be like the common bathroom they have in the barracks or in prison lol, where everyone showers together on the same stained, dirty, mildewed floor. Thank god it wasn't like that. Toilets and bathrooms are cleaned everyday at 9am or so. Bring own towel and bathing supplies, or just get a towel from reception.
6. There's even a nice discotheque, or whatever the young ones call it, in the basement, with dj and everything. Cool place for young people from all over the world to hang out.
7. Facilities they provided were outstanding. For public transport, these kind people at circus hostel saved me some money. FYI, you can buy transport tickets at train station machines that give you unlimited train, tram and bus transport in Berlin zones A and B. 5 days is like 29.50 euros. I asked the circus hostel people about this, and you know what they offered me? A similar unlimited transport ticket for, get this, 4.50 euros a day! Now multiply that by 5 and you get 22.50! Yah I know wtf right? Just give them a 20 euro deposit (refundable when you return the ticket to them) and you can rent this cheap transport card from them! Save 7 bucks, which is 2 doner kebabs from Schlemmer Buffet. Just 8 meters away :)
They also rent out bicycles for like 3 euros an hour? I think. They also have a Segway, which is 12 euros an hour. Yeah. In the summer you could just rent a bike and hit Prenzlauer Berg up north on a beautiful Sunday afternoon.
They even provided international power adapters, which was cool. 5 euro refundable deposit.
8. Staff was just so friendly and helpful. Any questions on berlin? Just ask them. Yo, even if they DON'T KNOW they would gladly google search for an answer to your question. Amazing service.
9. For those of you on a shoestring budget, circus hostel also provides free food/drinks everyday of the week. For example, when I was there, it was like free pasta on Thursdays, free glühwein on Fridays, and free stuff on the other days. or something like this. Free food yay!
There, that's just some of the stuff I can remember. All in all, I really hope I've convinced some of you to give the circus hostel a try. Low price for a good location close to not one but two forms of public transport, with highly recommended restaurants in the vicinity, complete with facilities like a nearby laundromat and bicycles for rent, clean room with clean sheets, along with friendly helpful staff......forget hotels, I'll be staying at this wonderful hostel whenever I'm in Berlin now.
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.