“Communication Breakdown...” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #22 of 663 hotels in Berlin
A TripAdvisor Member
“Communication Breakdown...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

This is a very nice property located within close walking distance to all your needs. It has a nice reception area and lobby lounge bar that is a fun spot to hang out in the evenings after a long day. Rooms are well appointed and clean. The biggest problem this hotel has ( and this depends on how important being " connected " is to you while traveling ) is the WiFi .. Our room rate included free WiFi and even when I went down to the lobby area it was very frustrating and at times limited.. If you are not an online user I could highly recommend this hotel but to me a good connection is as important as hot water and in this day and age I wonder how a hotel of this caliber can continue it's daily operations knowing this problem exists. I also have a second issue with this hotels communication and that concerns a problem I had on the last day of my stay.. I actually was wanting to stay 2 extra nights as our plans allowed for more time in Berlin and didn't want to pack and unpack etc but there was no rooms available.. After asking the staff to check availability at another property they did book us a room at the Berlin Mitte which we very much appreciated.. Unfortunately I made a mistake in my rush of packing up and left my night gown hanging on the hook in the washroom.. Later that very afternoon I noticed my mistake and called the front desk but was told they didn't have it.. Hmmm now I know an everyday type of night gown can be easily replaced but this particular one has been with me for many years being very sentimental and a high end Christian Dior ( now vintage ) made of silk satin with the most amazing lace work you can imagine.. I immediately walked over to Check Point Charlie and spoke to Martin Seifert at the front desk feeling quite incredulous that it could go missing.. Who would want it? Who would throw it away? ... After being assured they would check with housekeeping and get back to me I reluctantly left. The next day they did call me back saying it was not found but would be on the look out and would advise me by email. The next day I called as no email and spoke to Katherine at the front desk explaining the importance of this item to me and why I was so concerned and also apologizing profusely for creating this situation myself and basically begging for help. We went over all my contact info etc and early the next morning left for home back to Canada. Upon my return I called and a week later no response.. Very sad with this..

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

2,045 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Henley-on-Thames, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

Stayed here for four days at a business conference. Paid slightly more for a larger double room, with a balcony at the back of the hotel. Very quiet. Lots of space. Comfortable. Wifi too expensive, as in all hotels. Reasonably equipped minibar. Bar prices very expensive. No restuarant, although breakfast available. Good Italian restaurant recommended by staff - only 2-3 minutes walk away. Staff very efficient and friendly.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Budakeszi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

Excellent location. Nice and clean room. Rich and delicious breakfast. Friendly staff. This is our experience during our three day long weekend in Berlin Checkpoint Charlie. We enjoyed our stay and will definitely return.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Cancún, Quintana Roo, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I stayed at Mercure Hotel & Residenz Berlin at the Checkpoint Charlie area.

The staff is excelent, they are always nice and smiley. The breakfast is abundant.

The beds are the best and the suites are always clean and comfortable.

I'll come back for sure.

Room Tip: Ask for the suites, they are awesome.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Guildford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

This hotel is in a very convenient location. The accomodation is clean and spacious and the staff efficient and polite. We really enjoyed our stay and would definitely return here on future visits to Berlin.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Ware, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

Stayed here on a 3 night Berlin break and would happily return!

2 huge rooms, coffee maker (they now seem to replenish supplies each day), kettle provided immediately on request (coffee maker won't boil water for tea), expensive breakfast no problem as there's plenty of choice very locally, expensive broadband no problem as it's free in the lobby. Staff very friendly and keen to help.

We were upgraded to rooms in the block next door, which is more appartments, but were very happy with this. Rooms facing into a central courtyard, were some of the quietest rooms I've ever had - and huge!

Great location for tourists - loved having the Checkpoint Charlie buzz just around the corner! And most of the rest of the city is within a 20 min walk.

Easy train transfers to Schoenefeld:
S-45 between Schoenefeld - Tempelhof (just under 30 mins, dep Schoenefeld->Tempelhof 01/21/41 mins past the hour, dep Tempelhof->Schoenefeld 07/27/47 mins past the hour ), and U6 between Tempelhof - Stadtmitte (9 mins, every 5 mins), then 5 mins walk to the hotel.

Already thinking of a summer return visit - very likely to stay here again!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Burke, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

hadsurprised had to add a night in Berlin to an existing visit and our original hotel was booked so we went on TA and found the Mercure. People could not have been nicer. Hotel is very clean, modestly priced, and they bend over backwards to accommodate.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Mercure Hotel & Residenz Berlin Checkpoint Charlie? Share your experiences!