“Lovely Stay - Thanks” 4 of 5 stars
Review of art'otel berlin city center west

You added art'otel berlin city center west to your Saves list
art'otel berlin city center west
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Lietzenburger Strasse 85, 10719 Berlin, Germany   |
GreenLeadersGold level
London, United Kingdom
“Lovely Stay - Thanks”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel on a city break a with a friend. Spacious room, so modern (you must like Andy Warhol!), and a great location. Lovely restaurants within walking distance and beautiful boutiques within the same distance if that is what you like. Although to the West, very easy to access buses / trains (which are 24hr) to take you to other cool parts of the city (including the airport!). Friendly staff, lovely breakfast, wifi available. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
khagenbucher, Manager at art'otel berlin city center west, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Dear Fiona D,

it’s been a real pleasure to read your great feedback on Tripadvisor.

On behalf of my team I would like to thank you for your visit and hope to see you again when you are back in Berlin next time.

+49 30 887777-0

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Finnish first
Swansea, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

I can't agree with some of the more negative review's on the site. I read all the reviews and contacted Katja the manager. I thought as she has made a point of answering all the answers (both negative and positive) that she was someone who was taking her commitment to customer services seriously! I explained my requirement's , I mentioned that it was a special occasion and both Katja and her staff went way beyond any of our expectations! We had a few small requests ie an extra suitcase holder some extra towels, a bit of peace ,as unfortunately we weren't well during our visit.
Just ask nicely and these lovely people will go out of their way to oblige!!
As for the security issue.... Put your valuables in the safe provided or take them with you!!! Its not rocket science... Its a hotel with a restaurant and bar open to the public. I am a person who works in the security sector and I can assure you that without razor wire ...and dog teams..and a big wall...and armed guards....sorry.. I had a flash back to the 80's!!! (Hotel safe...Hello !!!!!) Anyway we were in room 719 it was at the back, quiet and spacious... Many thanks to Katja and her team for making our stay wonderful and we will certainly be back! :-) Bx

Room Tip: Ring or email and speak to Katja or one of her team..
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Bikerbint69,

big thank you for sharing your experience with fellow travellers. We were very happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us that much and that your husband had a nice birthday with us.

We hope we can welcome you both back in Berlin soon again.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for the first time on a weekend city break. Great location, lovely friendly staff & spacious modern rooms. As the name suggests this hotel is in the west side of the city but really close to a good network of transport links making it easy to explore the whole of Berlin from here.
There are lovely restaurants within a 5 min walk of the hotel & beautiful designer boutiques within the same distance. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Emma M,

thank you very much for the lovely feedback you have given us and staying with us over the weekend.

Berlin, Germany
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

My handbag was stolen when eating breakfast the last morning on the hotel. Even though I was very careful it was gone after getting coffee. We were two sitting together and the table had been left by both of us for maximum ten seconds. Other persons from my group were sitting near by, they had not seen anybody outside the hotel entering the breaakfast-room.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Ellen H,

we appreciate you taking the time to give us some valuable feedback on Tripadvisor.

On behalf of our entire staff here at the art’otel berlin city center west I apologize for the concerns you have about your experience at this hotel.
II sincerely regret that your handbag was stolen while you had breakfast at our restaurant. However I would like to emphasize that this is a public area and no bags/luggage should be unattended at any time.
We appreciate the feedback and will use it to fine tune our operations in the hope that upon your next visit, we can meet or exceed your expectations.

Email: khagenbucher@pphe.com
Zurich, Switzerland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

I have never experienced such a horrible stay in my years traveling internationally. Aside from the room being dirty (moldy carpet, dingy shower, cheap amenities) my MacBook computer was stolen from my locked hotel room in the middle of the day. After filing a police report, and talking to the hotel manager, I learned that these thefts (done by neighborhood gangs that easily enter the low-security hotel) are not uncommon. Granted, they said, previously the thefts have involved cash and not computers. The hotel has even changed the direction of the hotel doorknobs to "prevent" these thefts, which obviously doesn't work. Yet, they still allow anyone elevator access without any kind of identification, allowing anyone off the street to access the rooms. The location of this hotel is a little bit off the beaten path, but not in an obviously sketchy area. Still, the streets are loud with drunks at night. As a 26-year-old, I didn't think the hotel's atmosphere would be a problem, however, the security situation is completely unacceptable. Because I booked this hotel through Jetsetter.com I was able to get a refund on the room, but I have yet to receive any compensation for my computer, and I have lost the hundreds of photos, documents and everything else on it, forever. I would never recommend this hotel to anyone. And I suggest the hotel figure out a way to make their guests more secure.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
khagenbucher, Manager at art'otel berlin city center west, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Dear Jill B,

Thanks for your feeback regarding your recent stay with us.
From our several emails already you are aware that we have carried out extensive investigations together with the police which included interrogation of all concerned employees, search of their bags and lockers and of course a lock read which didn’t show any unusual activity.
We have information in all rooms that all valuables need to be stored in the room safe at all times.
A hotel is a public place and we do have CCTV on the ground floors plus a security company who is strolling the property on a regular basis.
I am very sorry for any inconvenience caused to you and I am pleased that your accomodation charges have been taken care of by now.
Also I am aware that the insurance company has been in touch with you already regarding your Macbook.
I do disagree though that your room has been dirty during your stay. We clean our carpets professionally on a regular basis as well as painting the bedrooms and we also checked that room prior and after your stay with us.
Should you wish to discuss this any further, please contact me directly.

Kind regards,

Leighton Buzzard, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

Recently we stayed at the artotel. Rooms are modern, clean and well presented.

Helga, on reception was a little star. Always bright, cheerful and helpful.

Yannick in the Factory, the hotel bar was awesome adding french flair and even more french humour :)

The location of the hotel is great and thanks to such great staff everything works like clockwork.

I highly recommend this hotel if you are staying in Berlin.

• Stayed September 2013
Dear Heliosdieu,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at the hotel. I am delighted that you have enjoyed your recent stay with us.

Rest assured I will share your positive comments especially with Helga & Yannick but also with the rest of the team, I am sure they will be thrilled to hear the fantastic feedback.

I am looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Newcas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

Two friends and I have just returned from Berlin and stayed in this hotel . My camera was stolen from my suitcase in my room whilst we were out sightseeing . We discovered the following day that one of my friends , who was staying in a separate room , had had £100 taken from his suitcase too . We had both handed ours keys into reception and can sadly only conclude that the culprit is a member of staff .

We were particularly disappointed that no-one from management spoke to us about the thefts and they weren't remarked upon as we checked out . I regularly stay in hotels and have never had anything stolen from me - very disappointed !!

Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
khagenbucher, Manager at art'otel berlin city center west, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Dear Richard A,

Thanks for your feeback, as you know I have forwarded your police report already along with your contact details to our insurance company.
If you check the Berlin press you will find that unfortunately many hotels in Berlin have been effected by professional gangs recently who can open the door from the outside without destroying it.
We have information in all rooms that all valuables need to be stored in the room safe.
We have carried out extensive investigations together with the police which included interrogation of all concerned employees, search of their bags and lockers and of course a lock read which didn’t show any unusual activity.
I am very sorry for any inconvenience caused to you.
Please contact me directly should you wish to discuss this matter further.

Kind regards,

Hotel Manager

Been to art'otel berlin city center west? Share your experiences!