“Really good stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #96 of 664 hotels in Berlin
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Really good stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

Stayed in a family room for 5 nights. Hotel is completely new refurbished, very good value for money.
Had a lovely sense of space in the room and a nice playground for the little ones.
Breakfast was included in the room rate and plentifull, if a little bit of a free for all.
Location very good, few minutes from the S-Bahn, U-Bahn, Tiergarten and K'Damm.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

172 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Mexico City, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

I have travelled a lot and I only remember have see something similar in Sydney... This place is just perfect. Highly recomended.

Location is perfect 1 block away from SUBWAY , TRAIN , BUS TERMINAL and important shopping avenue in Berlin.

Staff is very friendly.

Next time I am in Berlin I will come back for sure.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Tel Aviv, Israel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

positive : Location is great !!! few minutes walk from many transport links / shopping area / big supermarket /the zoo and the tiergarden so this hotel is ideal for sightseeing Rooms are comfortable and clean with air conditioning and safe deposit . the stuff is friendly and english speaking .
negative : Breakfast is very basic . the dining room can be very crowded sometimes . lots !! of teenagers ( probably many schools using the hotel for the trips ) so can be disturbing sometimes the wi-fi is free on the lobby however slow when when many people are using same time the pillows are very flat also there is no wardrobe to put clothes in - instead few open shelves

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

I stayed at the Aletto Kudamm for two nights on my first trip to Berlin. The place is split into the hotel above ground and the hostel rooms below ground. My bed in a 8-bed dorm cost 20 euros for the night, which included bed linen and breakfast.

Arriving at the hostel, I was greeted by three friendly staff, one of whom was originally from Yorkshire (albeit 30 years previously) and was super super friendly, so there were no language difficulties enquiring and checking in. The other staff also spoke English well. I was unsure of whether to go for a dorm or my own room, and the staff said they'd try and put me in one of the emptier dorm rooms. I was given my keycard and information on breakfast, wifi, etc. I was also advised that I could leave any valuables in their safe, which I did (passport and works ID). A very pleasant check-in experience.

The rooms were incredibly clean, with linen provided on each bed (which you have to put on yourself), and a large underbed storage drawer, lockable with a padlock. Should you not have a padlock, you can borrow one from reception for free (you will need to leave a refundable 10 euro deposit tho). The storage drawer was more than double the size of my trolley bag, so plenty of space. The beds were quite comfortable, although the pillows felt somewhat like partially inflated balloons which took a little getting used to. Alongside each bed is a small touch-sensitive reading lamp and a shelf. I got quite a decent night sleep. The only issue I had was some prat who nicked my towel (I woke up in the middle of the night to find him stood right next to my bed, I think he was looking for keys to my padlock on the storage drawer), so my advice would be to lock EVERYTHING away when you're not there and keep your key on your body when you sleep. I didn't think someone would stoop so low as to steal a wet towel, but there are some strange people out there!

The bathrooms in this hostel were of surprisingly good quality. Each shower room has it's own little lockable cubicle with hooks for clothing. The showers are hot and powerful. There are two toilet cubicles and these are separated from the main showers with a door to prevent stinking the place out! The toilets were initially quite dirty on my first visit, but these had later been cleaned. Although I didn't use the facilities, there is also a kitchen with modern amenities and a laundry room.

Breakfast at the Aletto is from 0730 to 1200 (IIRC), with the main full breakfast available until 1000. The selection is decent, with breads, meats, cheeses, egg, cereal, fruit juices, hot drinks and more. It's a buffet style breakfast, and I went up a couple of times to top up on my favourite bits! The eating area was very clean with staff visibily tidying up. Getting rid of your tray is simply a case of placing it into a revolving rack, which takes it off into the kitchen to be emptied and cleaned. There is one breakfast area down in the hostel area, and another up in the ground floor. I ate at a different one each day, and I don't believe you have to eat downstairs if you're staying in the dorms.

The advantage of eating upstairs is that free wifi is available there, so you can log on with your smartphone and check out what to do for the day! You can also pay to use wifi in other areas, I think it's 1 euro for 30 mins. There are also computers to use if you don't have a device capable of surfing the web.

I asked the reception for advice on what to do during the day, and the English member of staff put in some real effort to help out, suggesting which tours were good, talking about her personal experiences of some of the things she'd done, searching the internet for opening hours of some places, and printing off travel directions for me too. Absolutely fantastic service.

In terms of getting around, the Aletto is a 2-minute walk from Zoologischer Garten station, which is served by the Metro and well as the overground rail. There's a small supermarket within the station too, so you can get some cheap snacks for the day... unsurprisingly, 'Kinder' is a big brand out there! A lot of the walking tours also start from just outside the station, so you can leave the hostel 10 minutes beforehand and be there early.

Although it was too cold to use properly, there is a rooftop terrace open to everyone, with seating and a view over Berlin (not an amazing view, but still nice nonetheless).

Overall, I was really impressed with this hostel. The nighttime staff weren't brilliant (they didn't seem to care when I pointed out my towel had gone missing and asked if the cleaning staff might accidentally have taken it), but the daytime staff, particularly the English lady (Frau Volger I believe her name was) were absolutely brilliant. The rooms were excellent, the bathrooms also excellent, and the breakfast was decent, considering it was 'free' and unlimited.

I will most certainly recommend this hostel to any friends travelling to Berlin, and if I return with friends as planned, this will be my first choice of hostel.

Room Tip: If you're happy to share, the dorms are good quality at a good price.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Herceg Novi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

We loved this hotel because of its relaxing atmosphere, good personnel and an amazing roof terrace. Room was very clean, simple but it had everything we needed. Breakfast was good enough, it lasts from 7,00 till 10,30, and during weekends the breakfast lasts till 12 AM (for sleepers). If you come early like arround 7-8 AM it is not crowded. Free wifi didn´t work!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012 via mobile

My daughter and I stayed here for three nights during our first trip to Berlin. The position of the hotel is fabulous, minutes from the main train and bus station at Zoologischer Garten, supermarkets and shops. The rooms were very clean and comfortable (though i agree that the pillows were a bit dodgy). The breakfast was excellent as was the service at the front desk. My only complaint is how bad the free wifi was. My daughter connected once but I never did. It seemed like a rort to extract paid wifi charges but when you bring up the issue with the front desk they generously issued vouchers for the paid wifi. Kudos for this but it is an issue which needs rectifying ASAP. I would happily recommend this hotel and will definitely stay here again.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Linkoping, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

I stayed in a 6 person room with two of my friends and my wife. We each had our own bed and the room. The en-suite toilet and shower where separated, which made getting ready in the morning fast. The breakfast buffet is quite extensive, with lots of breads, cereals, meats, fruit and pastries. Try to show up early for breakfast, because the line can be very long. The free WiFi rarely worked. Bed was hard, which I found comfortable, but the pillow was the worst I have every slept on. The rooms were very clean. It is a short walk to the S-Bahn and U-Bahn so it is easy to get everywhere in Berlin.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Been to aletto Kudamm Hotel & Hostel? Share your experiences!