“Very good for a 4* European standard hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Estrel Berlin
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Sonnenallee 225 | 12057 Berlin, 12057 Berlin, Germany   |
Ranked #260 of 662 Hotels in Berlin
Singapore
“Very good for a 4* European standard hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Estrel Hotel, as everyone puts it, is nothing impressive and there's no wow factor.
The hotel is, however, new(er), clean and spacious. Compare Estrel to the rest of older 4 star hotels in Europe, and you have yourself a very decent place.
It's near enough to the S-bahn (3-5 mins walk), there's a few supermarkets within 5 mins walk, the kebab at the train station is oh-so-good and value for money.
I was concern with the theft issues from a few of the recent reviews, perhaps the hotel can look into installing a safe in every room. Mine had no safe and I was admittedly a little paranoid whenever I left the room for the day.
Overall, friendly staff, good selection of standard American breakfast and more than decent rooms. Oh ask for more pillows, cos theirs are too soft for my liking.

Room Tip: Choose from the higher floor. Mine faces the river, so it's quite quiet.
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Barry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Stayed here a while ago normally twice a year through business. And must say that it is a very clean and lovely hotel which I enjoy knowing that I will be back soon to stay. It may be out of the way, but perfect fom the hustle and bustle of the city of Berlin. Staff are very nice always accommodate your every need. Looking forward to my next visit.

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Hessen
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

The Hotel is located quite in the middle of nowhere, but you have a very good connection via the ring-fast-train (S-Bahn) in about 5 minutes walking distance (station Sonnenallee). Given that they claim to be a four-star Hotel I am a bit disappointed. There is nothing really missing or not working, but it does not feel special at all. Everything seems to be designed for function, is very practical and working. But at no point are you thinking 'wow, what a great place'. There is nothing outstanding or surprising about the Estrel. I am not a big fan of bath tubs in Hotels used as a shower, especially not when you have to climb relatively high, so that was a negative point for me. The other thing is that they are claiming to be a conference Hotel. Of course every business person today will have their Laptop, Tablet, etc. and there is no safe in the room. Yes, you can deposit at the reception, but honestly, who wants to stand in line each time when they want to use their tablet?
So overall, I don't have a real complaint, everything is ok, but I'm just missing the wow in the Hotel.

Frankfurt, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Was there for an three days workshop/event.
Very big hotel with many huge meeting rooms etc., but rooms are average.
Bath was clean, bed comfortable, nice view from 11th floor. Some installations should be a bit renovated or repaired and also a safe was missing in the room.

Stayed November 2014
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2014

I just came back from a business trip from the Estrel, Berlin - I participated at a congress as a sponsor and stayed two nights (November, 18 - 20).

I'm very dissatisfied and I will dissuade my company to organise again a congress in a place where safety & security is not guaranteed for guests. I'm travelling around the world for business and have been in many hotels - but never had the feeling of being completely abandoned as I experienced it during my stay in the Estrel.

This is my experience:

During a break I left the congress centre and went to my room - it was about 2 am. After half an hour I returned to the congress centre and left my bag in the room taking with me only some documents. In my bag was my wallet with personal documents, credit cards, cash cards, driving license, etcetera. Coming back to my room at 6 pm I relaxed and started to pack my bags preparing to check out the next morning - in this moment I realised that my wallet was missing. After I checked the room very carefully, I went down to the congress centre looking at my place and my desk - with no results I explained my problem at the reception. The lady checked the lock activities and there was nothing strange - only my activities and the room service was registered in the log. Then she called a security guy, who inspected the room and the door - I made him notice that there were evident signs of incursion on the door. His answer was: 'These doors have more than 20 years, I can't know if these signs are made today'. After this we called the police, who came after 1,5 hours (it was nearly 3 am already) - the police stated clearly that it was a theft in my room.

During the next morning I was sitting directly in front of the reception doing my things (blocking credit cards, calling the embassy - I am in a foreign country without any money - trying to organise my things, because I have my return flight in the afternoon). The result was that I had somehow to reach my embassy, where I would get an 'emergency travel document' - but how to get there without money? Consider that the hotel is in the middle of nowhere - so I asked if there is any possibility to call a taxi and send me an invoice for the expenses - considering also that the problem was caused by a evident lack of security - no way!

A very arrogant lady told me that she was not willing to pay any money to solve my problems. But she could give me the number of the embassy! That left me really speechless. After that I called my travel agency - only after they assured by mail and by several phone calls that they will overtake the costs, the hotel was willing to hand me out some cash for the taxi!

In all these hours - from 8 am to 2 pm - no one offered me a coffee or a glass of water. No one was talking about a refund. I did not hear a word like 'we are sorry'. I don't care about a free stay or a free dinner - it's not my style!

As the police has clearly stated that there was a theft out of my room and this is also written in the protocol, I expected a little humility and humanity - but maybe I expect too much!

Raffaele

• Stayed November 2014
Pickering, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2014

I was at this giant conference hotel for 4 miserable nights in November 2014. Even before I got to the hotel it had earned my ire with its absurd cancellation policy. I had to cancel two of my originally reserved nights and didn't do it FOUR weeks in advance, so was charged an 80% cancellation fee. To suggest that a hotel with 1200 rooms suffers a cost from allowing guests to cancel less than 4 weeks in advance is ridiculous.

The location of the hotel is horrible. It is in the middle of absolutely nowhere, with practically nothing of any interest or value within walking distance. There is an S-bahn stop reasonably close by...but of course there was a rail strike while I was there. And even if it had been functioning, it would have taken a good half an hour to get to the centre of the city. So forget about seeing any of Berlin in the gaps between events at your conference. And forget about having a range of choices of places to eat.

Worst of all, however, were the beds. I have never been offered such a tiny, uncomfortable bed as a grown up. It was literally perhaps 2 inches wider than my shoulders on each side. The only bedding was a decidedly limp pillow, and an overly warm comforter. No sheets, nothing with any kind of luxury or comfort. I couldn't get my hotel room under 25 degrees C the whole time I was there, in spite of opening the window, cranking down the thermostat, and turning the fan on full. So for 4 nights I tried not to fall off the tiny bed while tossing and turning in the suffocating heat. This was in freaking November! Of the 4 nights I had perhaps 1 night of decent sleep. Not what I needed while trying to do my job at a conference.

I will say that most of the staff were quite pleasant and helpful, which is why I've given it 2 stars rather than 1. I was pretty shocked, however, by how UNhelpful the concierge was, and how poor his English was. Not acceptable at the biggest conference hotel in Europe.

Even if I attend another conference in Berlin I will NOT stay in this hotel again. A totally miserable experience.

Room Tip: I don't know if there are actually choices in the type of beds...but if you are travelling as a...
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2014

This hotel is huge! I stayed in one of the standard rooms. There were about 1100 people at the conference I was attending, most staying at the Estrel. I would not recommend anyone staying here if you wanted to be close to the city center although the S-bahn, U-bahn and M41 bus stops were close hotel. The breakfast was on the VERY expensive side - 18 euros for the standard breads, scrambled eggs, fruit etc. Now coming to the room - the pillows were horrible (the kind that sink in completely as soon as you place your head on them); the bathtub was elevated so that you had to step in and out very carefully; the wi-fi connection was very poor. I was asked multiple times to login/refresh/reconnect. Using the internet cable was better, but you won't be able to work in bed because the cable isn't too long. Toiletries are very basic. I am also absolutely certain that my A/C stopped working after day 1, and remained on "fan" mode throughout my stay.

For a conference hotel, they have a lot t work on to match up to other hotels around the world in this category!

• Stayed November 2014, traveled on business

Been to Estrel Berlin? Share your experiences!