“Conference Center Great! Room-not so much...” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Estrel Berlin

You added Estrel Berlin to your Saves list
Estrel Berlin
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Sonnenallee 225 | 12057 Berlin, 12057 Berlin, Germany (Neukolln)   |
Ranked #263 of 665 Hotels in Berlin
Riga, Latvia
“Conference Center Great! Room-not so much...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for a 3 day conference. The staff in the conference center was really great. They were very helpful and the food was great.
However, the room was not worth the money. The shower head kept falling down so I had to hold it up while I was washing my hair. The water kept switching back and forth between cold and hot. The bathtub was a huge step up which would be really difficult for anyone who is over 40. There were no tolietries in the bathroom. The air conditioner in my room was really loud and didn't keep the room cool enough to sleep. You are getting to beds pushed together instead of one large bed. The TV sucks - they charge you 10 Euro for 1 channel in English and you don't even get to choose what you want to watch. I don't understand how such a "fancy" hotel can not have TV channels in different languages or at least pay per view.
The hotel staff was not very nice or helpful - especially compare to the conference staff.
Even though it's far from the city center there is a tram/subway stop nearby.
If you don't have a conference at this hotel I don't think this is the place for you to stay - it's too far away from the city center.

Room Tip: Get a room on a lower floor so that you have to spend less time in the elevator.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
london
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

...in which case it is excellent. Standard business type hotel with all usual functions except, frustratingly, wifi in rooms. Rather busy lobby space with other guests doing the same as you for their wifi fix. Many more interesting and central places to stay in this brilliant city. Old and new wings, with predictable room quality in each.

Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

This hotel / conference centre advertises itself as Berlin's top event location and Germany's largest hotel. That may be all it has going for it. Stayed there for three nights for a conference at the beginning of June, rarely have I felt so cut off from the rest of the world. Big it may be, but with very few trappings of modernity (don't be seduced by the photos), this is not a hotel I would particularly recommend. If you are a tourist to Berlin, forget about this place, there must be much better value attainable closer to the city centre. Having said that, the best thing about the hotel is that there is an S train line two minutes walk away, with tickets available from the concierge. Don't miss the opportunity if you are unfortunate enough to end up here.

So what's wrong with it? On first impressions, not a lot. The staff are courteous and efficient though few seem very happy with their job. The rooms are basic, clean and functional. No more, no less. The view from my room on the the 10th floor reminded me of a time in the past when I spent a week in Bombay!! The television also reminded me of one I dumped 15 years ago, how did it end up in Berlin I wonder? Given that this is an international conference centre, the choice of stations is very limited, and If your comprehension of the German language is as poor as mine, then don't bother to switch it on. No problem, I'll just access the internet through my new ipad (everyone seems to be carrying a tablet of some sort these days, arent we so wonderfully technological?)). Oh dear, no WiFi in the room. According to the notice I am one of the 'some' guests who do not have WifI. Funny then when I enquire of fellow conference attendees they all seem to be in the 'some' club. The hotel graciously offers WiFi in the hotel lobby for €3 euro an hour or €24 euro a day. What a complete rip-off!! Many people nowadays at conferences might want to check e-mail occasionally or keep in touch with work or home. Estrel makes sure that they will profit handsomely from these activities. This alone put me put me off this place completely, after three days I formed the opinion that the whole raison d'étre of this establishment was to extract as much money as possible out of guests. Not that the hotel cares at all what reviewers say. I notice these same complaints going back as far as 2011, and nothing appears to have changed. Maybe the management themselves refuse to pay the exorbitant charges to access the internet to read their own reviews.
I attended the dinner and entertainment show which, even if you are not into that sort of thing, was surprisingly entertaining. A variety of impersonators, some better than others (but all very good) regaled us with a musical nostalgia for a few hours (Louis Armstrong was particularly good). Estrel had us trapped though, and were determined to get as much out of our pockets as they possibly could. Not a single drop of water could pass our lips without being paid for. It would be a bad place to die of thirst, there would be no cash left for the funeral. Our sour faced waitress (an impersonator of the wicked witch, perhaps?) had this annoying habit of grabbing our wine bottle uninvited, filling up the glasses, telling us the bottle was empty and asking if we would like to buy another. After this happened three or four times, I felt like logging on to the internet to find the direct German translation for 'Lady would you ever [--] off'! Ah no, that will cost me €3...I can't win. Funny how much her command of the english language improved when we were disputing the bill (thank goodness someone else was paying).

After a good breakfast the following morning I departed the hotel as fast as I could before they could find more inventive ways of making me poorer. Berlin is a great city and I would love to spend more time to explore. I promise myself I will, but sorry Estrel I will be staying elsewhere next time.

sao paulo, brazil
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

We stayed there as it was the headquarter of our convention. People at the reception were attentive; concierge service of very little use and unfriendly. Regular rooms, old and not well kept. Good breakfast. No wi-fi system, even if you want to pay. Far from the xcity (30 minutes by train). It is an option if your meeting is being held there; would not select it for a non-convention stay in Berlin.

Boulder
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

stayed for a night to attend a work conference, with my family in tow.
nice place, good service, room a little small, kids cots pretty nice.
cafes and bars were good and staff were helpful.
conference space was excellent.

Melrose, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

Staff was excellent, particularly Concierge-Thomas Berndt. He made our trip so much better by helping with S- Bahn tickets, activities,etc.... The staff all seemed to speak English although speaking some German (or trying) seemed to help. The restaurant food/bars were great.

The negatives were there as well. The location is in an economically depressed area, and I wouldn't recommend going out at night. Actually, early evening wasn't much better. There was nothing for kids to do. If you are travelling with children and finicky, then this isn't the place for you. they have a bier garten belonging to the hotel and we let the kids run around in the grass otherwise they would have been climbing the walls. there were certainly no kid-friendly activities that we are used to in the US. This wasn't a huge factor since we spent all day touring, but a significant portion of that was on the subway/metro line since the hotel is in the SE corner of Berlin. There is a neon artwork in the bier garten that features a naked woman with her legs spread apart and a Giant swan in between. It wasn't that obvious until night which comes late in June, and the kids didn't really get much opportunity to view lit up. We weren't offended, but others, I suppose, might be. Our children had to take baths because we were afraid they would get scalded. The shower water would suddenly become extremely hot, burning one of the adults. this could have been fixed maybe. they offer a boat cruise since the hotel is on a branch of the river Spree. The cruise was pretty, but the tour was terrible. This isn't the hotel's issue however. Lastly, they tried to bill us for laundry service and a mini bar that we didn't use so check your bill.
Considering these negatives, others might give it a two or three stars. We spent the entire day visiting the city and would come back to the hotel just in time to grab a pretzel or beer in the bier garten then crash. If we were dependent on staying in the hotel, our rating would have been lower. Also, the staff was so good, especially Mr Berndt, the cleaning staff, bar/restaurant staff- that we bumped it to a 4.

Wareham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

This hotel is embedded in the convention centre and as such offers clean, roomy rooms, good breakfast, helpful staff and adequate gym. However it's a bit of a hike (40 mins on public transport) into the centre. So unless you are here for a convention I would recommend a more centrally located hotel. Prices are reasonable too - I paid €120 for bed and breakfast

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Been to Estrel Berlin? Share your experiences!