“Service at its best” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #24 of 664 Hotels in Berlin
Berlin, Germany
“Service at its best”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013 via mobile

A good choice for business travelers. Caters to the needs of the ever-traveling manager. Attentive and helpfull staff, spacious and tastefully furnished rooms, great breakfast buffet, conveniently located - what else could you wish for?

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Robert_P_Herr, General Manager at InterContinental Berlin, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Dear AllaroundAsia

thank you for your kind words! Hopefully, we will manage to convince you to give us the 5th point during your next stay.

InterContinental Berlin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Madrid
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

I can not understand that in a hotel where you pay more than 150 Euros for a room you have to pay extra for almost everything. A couple of the examples: 15 Euros for the business centre, If you want to print the boarding card or just check your email account because you don´t have an smart phone, you will have to pay 15 Euros every day. There is a SPA with swimming pool, jacuzzi and sauna area, but if you want to access to the sauna area you have to pay 15 Euros extra.
Apart of this, the hotel is fine, perhaps it is necessary a refurbishment. Rooms are comfortable and they have all you need. Breakfast is good but overcrowded.
I paid extra for the VIP lounge but there is no point. there is nothing special and food in general was poor.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear mistralksk

thank you for staying at the InterContinental Berlin while visiting our beloved city.

As you mentioned, you booked our Club InterContinental. This addition which I believe enriches most stays includes snacks, drinks, breakfast, high-speed internet, sauna access and you also have access to your own business center in the Club Lounge - free of charge. Therefore, I believe there might have been a misunderstanding, you should not have paid extra for the sauna and would have had the opportunity to use the work station within the Club Lounge.

In general, we introduce fees as we only want to charge those guests using a facility or amenity. Otherwise, we would have to increase room prices. I am pleased that you enjoyed our rooms as well as the very popular breakfast buffet!

Again, thank you for your review and I hope that during your next stay, you will find the InterContinental Berlin to provide the value you are looking for.

Fredrikstad, Norway
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

3 day leisure and business with my family. First impression of this hotel by check in is OK. I admit I am a bit spoiled, having elite/gold/platinum membership with several hotel chains and airlines. The Berlin Intercontinetal sadly sticks out negatively compared to other Intercontinental hotels around. They do not offer lounge access for their Ambassador Platinum guests as the other ones do. There was no complimentary water and fruit available in our rooms. The free internet that is supposed to be a "perk" for loyal members is exactly the same as every guest get.
Visiting the Spa for a sauna they are charging 15 EUR!, as compared to complimentary other places!
Well, the Berlin Intercontinental probably have to much business and guests. Loyal IHG customers may therefore not be so interesting to them. At least that is the clear impression they leave with their policies differing from other IC and IGH hotels I use on a regular basis. Luckily there is Swissotel in Berlin where they always honor my Eleva status. They will be my choice next time as well as any of my employees going here.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Robert_P_Herr, General Manager at InterContinental Berlin, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Dear N0ggie

thank you for reviewing the InterContinental Berlin and for sharing your experiences.

Let me assure you that we highly value our IHG Rewards Club and InterContinental Ambassador guests and members. Therefore we strive to recognize each member's status and provide them with the benefits they are entitled to - and even more.

Nonetheless: Our Club InterContinental provides free snacks and drinks, exclusive lounge access and further amenities such as free high-speed internet and free sauna access. It is available at a charge and this fee varies based on your status within our loyalty programme. For InterContinental Ambassadors, our Club InterContinental delivers the best value for money. On the other hand, an upgrade to the Club InterContinental is not an Ambassador perk. The differences in handling in this matter across different InterContinental Hotels & Resorts leads to confusion for which I have full understanding. To prevent this in the future, we will be standardising our approach as a group.

Before your arrival, we were not able to present your complimentary fruit and water in time which we have discussed internally to further improve our service. Thank you for pointing this out.

I believe you value the high level of service hotels like ours are able to deliver. I am confident that in the future, if you stay with us again, you will find just what you are looking for.

Paris
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

I was part of an international seminar, gathering approx 1000 people from around the world, hosted by the Intercontinental in Berlin. I was very much impressed by the quality and size of the ballroom and meeting rooms offered by this hotel. Everything was run in a smooth and professional way and at no point did anyone get the feeling that the hotel resources were overstretched, despite the large number of participants to the seminar.
The bedroom (standard double bed) was nice, spacious and conveniently equipped. Good bed, quiet environment, silent air conditioning made my stay pretty pleasant. The only issue I have is with respect to the TV set which was the size of a regular computer screen and located on the side wall from the bed. It was not pleasant to watch and disappointing, especially in a 5-star hotel loke the Intercontinental. I expressed this remark to the hotel staff and they acknowledged that it was a rather common opinion from their guests. They however indicated that some rooms were equipped with large TV sets.
Breakfast buffet was diversified and good.
Service overall was nice, friendly and very efficient.
I would certainly recommend this place for seminars and business trips. And it has no reason to be unfit for other travelers, as long as they are not looking for a small guest house.

Room Tip: Ask a room with a large TV screen
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Robert_P_Herr, General Manager at InterContinental Berlin, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Dear Iojik

thank you for staying at the InterContinental Berlin while attending a conference on our premises. Your kind words show that the reputation of the InterContinental Berlin as Germany's best Certified Conference Hotel in 2013 is reflected in the individual experience our guests and you have made.

Your remark on our rooms is accurate. Other rooms apart from the Superior rooms with flexible elements feature larger TV screens. Our reservations team will be happy to assist you with your booking if you have certain preferences which we are to take into account.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your experiences and I hope that we will see you again here in Berlin - on a business or a private trip.

Copenhagen, Denmark
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

This is my new homebase while visiting Berlin and for each time it get better and better.

The lobby is large, and someone might think is not so personal or cosy, but with the staff members around it directly turns positive with their great service attitude.

Large spa and fitness facilities. Swimmingpool, saunas and relaxation areas that make a weekend stay away from home to a lovely treat.

You can get rooms in two different buildings, and I stayed in both. I think the standard is the same in both, however it's not so convienent to got a club room in the "old" wing and visit the lounge in the other. It's also a shame that their casual restaurant for evening might bee lacking a little bit atmosphere and is just a large place with not enough space.

I always been in a Club InterContiental room and just want to let you all know that this is a great high quality lounge. Food and drinks are very good and service in the absolutely top-class. I have also tried the breakfast

Location with KaDeWe and Kurfurstendamm around the corner, as well as the zoo and the diplomatic quarter make it as a great place to explore one of the best cities in the world.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear THR02

thank you for your delightful words and for your loyalty. Making us your 'homebase' for Berlin is a great compliment. I am also pleased that you found our Club InterContinental to be good value.

Our teams and I are looking forward to your next stay(s) and until then wish you similar experiences in other InterContinental Hotels and Resorts and beyond.

Zurich, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

The hotel Intercontinental in Berlin is actually something between 4 and 5 stars, but is labelled as a 4-star, which is quite typical for large hotel chains with large conference facilities. The hotel as a large, beautiful, and impressive hall and also hosts large number of guests at the same time, especially groups, so if you choose to stay here, you shouldn't be bothered by making your way through large groups at every time of the day. The quality of the service is set at high standards, but personnel is not very fast, especially reception and concierge. The rooms are large, quiet, and costs are acceptable (our price was 130 EUR for standard with single occupancy, but is very variable depending on season, arrangements, etc). Rooms are also nicely decorated, however, not much care was taken regarding some details. Two details above all: 1) bathroom has a small window to the main room with a blind that you can close if you want. This was closed by default in my room and even the handle was removed. the result is a feeling of oppression; 2) TV is locked behind a glass door. It can be turned, so view from the bed is limited, the screen is very small, and you can't watch it with the lights on due to reflection on the glass.
Food quality, both at the restaurant and room service, is acceptable but nothing special (especially given the price). I suspect food for room service overnight is delivered by a catering far away from the hotel as it looks like it was prepared quite some time before...
This hotel is easily accessible from the airport by taxi and with public transportation. Conference facilities are good and accessbility for disabled guests is very good.
All in all, a place to go if you are organising a conference or a group travel or if you really don't mind large, anonymous hotels and expect to have special needs.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear tk920

thank you for reviewing the InterContinental Berlin and pointing out a variety of aspects which will be helpful to future guests.

Please let me respond to some points of your review.

The InterContinental Berlin does not have any stars and is not officially rated. We aim to provide a high standard of service which is considered to equal the level of a five star hotel. This also applies to our amenities and facilities.

Our guests are often business travellers or stay at the hotel to attend a conference or a meeting. This can lead to busy times. At the same time, our teams will always go an extra mile to provide you with the personal service which sets your stay at the InterContinental Berlin apart from other hotels - which hopefully you felt as well.

The food for the room service is always prepared by the kitchen team of the InterContinental Berlin itself. Please accept my apologies that it did not meet the standard you expected.

Regarding your room and the challenges you had with the TV and the blinds, I thank you for bringing this to our attention. The rooms of the InterContinental Berlin range from the Superior category to Deluxe rooms to our suites. All these different room types offer different features. The East Wing Superior rooms feature exceptional flexibility and let you change the space you are staying in. The Deluxe rooms of our West Wing on the other hand have recently been refurbished and bring to you a new design which orientates itself towards modern guests' needs. And our suites give you all the comfort you may be looking for. Therefore, please contact our reservations team ahead of your stay to make sure you stay in the room which fits your requirements best. They will be happy to assist you with your requests.

With that said, I still hope that you will give us the chance in the future to convince you of our hotel as your choice for Berlin.

Vienna, Austria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

Intercontinental is a strong brand. They have achieved a pleasing level of consistency around the world and for that reason can claim to be one of the most trusted hotel chains around. As I am a Platinum Ambassador with Intercontinental, I chose to take my family for a weekend to Berlin to celebrate our son's 10th birthday. We stayed in a Senior Suite.

Arrival was very good and professional at the front desk. I was a little disappointed that we didn't get upgraded to Club access - it was later explained that since we had paid for a "Junior Suite", we had been "upgraded" to a Senior Suite.

When we arrived in the room, the master bedroom had two single beds! I was most disappointed by this and asked to be moved. Of course, front desk did the usual stonewall about not having rooms available. Eventually the "Guest Experience Manager" came up to the room and told us that in fact they could replace the single beds with a king bed as we had requested - I still don't understand why the front desk didn't offer that immediately.

Aside from that rocky start, the stay overall was very good.

(+) Breakfast was plentiful and yummy.
(+) The swimming pool was very good (so says my wife).
(+) Internet was fast and complimentary
(+) Suite was quiet and dark enough at night to sleep
(+) Concierge team were knowledgeable and helpful

(-) Furnishings are quite generic (dark greys, browns and cream colours)
(-) Bathroom toiletries were poor - need to invest some more money in a better brand

But the highlight without a doubt was the birthday surprise for our son. I had mentioned that it was our son's birthday to the front desk and expected perhaps a birthday card in the room but we were really touched when we came to breakfast and everyone on the staff said "Happy Birthday", they had reserved a special table for us and there was a wonderful birthday gift that had been hand picked by the staff. Plus a nice birthday cake too. Thank you to the staff at the hotel!

Check out was a bit messy but the Front Desk Manager greeted me by name and we had a nice chance to thank them for all their efforts.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Robert_P_Herr, General Manager at InterContinental Berlin, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Dear Ravenna2006

thank you for sharing your experience at the InterContinental Berlin here on TripAdvisor and for giving us useful hints on how to further improve your stay without forgetting to mention the memorable birthday celebration for your son.

I am pleased that our teams provided your son with such a wonderful birthday experience which was unexpected and exceptional. We encourage our teams to go an extra mile to create such moments especially on extraordinary occasions.

Our teams have looked into the incident with your bed and will further improve the process to provide you with just what you are looking for from the first moment on. Please apologize any inconveniences this might have caused.

The designs of the InterContinental Berlin's rooms vary between our two wings. The West Wing rooms have recently been refurbished and are more modern and slightly more colorful. On the other hand, the East Wing rooms' colors are more traditional. Our reservations team will be happy to note your preferences.

And thus, we hope that you will visit Berlin again in the future - and at the same time our InterContinental.

InterContinental Berlin

Been to InterContinental Berlin? Share your experiences!