“Fab city hotel” 5 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Friedrichstrasse 99, 10117 Berlin, Germany (Mitte)   |
Ranked #30 of 663 Hotels in Berlin
“Fab city hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

Just back from a city break to berlin, this central hotel was fab in every way, greetings to hotel and check in smooth, I had asked for a top floor quiet room, was great, well appointed and made you feel welcome.
Pool and sauna were clean, looked new and infinity view out to river, nice. Towels and everything provided at pool and in room. Room large and great base for seeing the sights.
Breakfast was excellent, very well catered hot and cold offers and set you up for the day,
Would look out for a eurostars hotel again, brilliant x

Room Tip: I asked for top floor room and quiet and was not disappointed:-)
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

This place is to be avoided. I know it will be by me and all my colleagues in the future.

In simple terms, very sloppy service. Poorly trained staff. Badly run. In summary.

1.Check in. Slow. No pre-written record of my stay.

2.Annoying wi-fi code vouchers. Asked for 3. Was given 3, but 2 were duplicates so didn’t work. Wi-Fi was painfully slow (.2 MB/s) and you had to log-in again with long code each time you picked up your iphone. This is ridiculous in 2013.

3.Room stunk of cigarettes. It was a non-smoking room which clearly had recently been smoked in or a smoking room.

4.Room service supper. Tried to order a tuna sandwich and a bottle of water. Man on the phone didn’t know about the tuna sandwich. Took 3 goes to explain that. Then he said there were no 1 litre bottles of water despite the menu in my hand saying there was at 6 Euros each. This went backwards and forwards for a while like Manuel in Fawlty Towers. He was trying to “upsell” me to a .75 litre bottle for 9 Euros! We finally agreed he would bring me a 1 litre bottle for 6 Euros. Imagine my surprise when the smaller bottle turns up for 9 Euros. He then continued to argue about it, despite the menu in my hand showing the correct size and price. His first solution was to grab the menu out of my hands and hide it and say it was an old menu. His second solution was to remove the bottle of water from my tray and say I couldn’t have it now. Unbelievable behavior! Through this he was tutting and grumbling under his breath. After this very tedious argument, I got bored and backed down and accepted the .75l bottle for 6 Euros.

5.The beds. Meant to be a double, but 2 singles pushed together. They were around 2 inches difference in height, so that didn’t really work.

6.Room service breakfast. Got the order wrong. Forgot the milk for my coffee. And then charged me another 5 Euros for milk for my coffee

7.Check Out. I paid the bill (reluctantly) and then as I was walking out the door, they shouted at me saying that they had forgotten an item on the bill and I had to come back and repay the whole bill.

Overall, a terrible hotel. An awful experience. Meant to be a 4 star business hotel, but it is actually run like a 50 Euro hostel. Avoid. There are so many other similar hotels in Berlin that will be so much better.

Room Tip: Avoid at all costs
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Lausanne, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

Very nice hote, perfectly located close to Bahnhof Friedrichsstrasse, which makes it easy to discover the city and locations outside the city (regular trains to Sachsenhausen and Potsdam).
The rooms are very generous, we had a junior suite, the room service however was not at the expexted level, used glasses were not replaced, and we were also suirprised that the corridors were not clean. But overall a very nice place except the 2 remarks above. Especially the piano music during breakfast was very appreciated and not common to have this in the morning instead of the evening.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

We stayed one night here. It was a new, modern hotel with standard service. very clean. however, the towel feels hard and cheap. tailor to traveler's on a budget or young business traveler who care about efficiency and not much about comfort.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013 via mobile

I try to stay at the Westin Grand when I go to Berlin but this was a last minute trip and they had no rooms. I picked the Eurostars for its location and apparent quality. I was impressed that despite being able to see S-Bahn trains from my room window I never heard them. My room was very attractively modern and well set up but with twin beds (not my preference) which was okay as I was traveling solo and the bed was quite comfortable. I appreciated the complimentary internet. I was surprised to not find any facial tissues provided. On the second day some tiny packets of tissues appeared. This seemed a very strange economy for this class of hotel to make.

I did notice that the shower water pressure was not at all well controlled and was alternately scalded and frozen taking a shower. For this class of hotel that's unacceptable.

The buffet breakfast was very good and at €16 was good value indeed.

All in all a mostly impressive hotel but not at €300/night.

I liked being so close to the Friedrichstrasse station as I find the S and U- Bahn the best way to get around Berlin.

• Stayed September 2013
Be'eri, HaDarom, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

Stayed here at the beginning of September 2013 for 6 nights, as couple. We arrived around 10 am after a long flight at night, but told that the room will be available only after 2:30 pm. Coming back at 2 - and got the room!. But- getting there we were struck by a foul smell coming from the shower. The reception change the room for us immediately, without any hustle, and after an hour or so, we received an apology (and a small gift..) from the manager. Apart from this little event, our stay was excellent. The bed was very comfortable, breakfast was more than expected and the location is perfect - in the middle of the city and right on a major train station. The staff was friendly and helpful.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Lisbon, Portugal
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

The staff at the reception is very nice and willing to help.
We booked 3 junior suites, but living room has no working desk, just a small round dining table. The bathrooms are good but with just one sink. It is hard to keep a steady mix of cold and hot water in the shower, in the morning and in the evening. Nice size Jacuzzi.
Carpet on the corridors not well vacuumed. My wife found rolls of dust next to the bed.
Breakfast is fine but missed salmon. Ordered a chicken Caesar salad to room service and had one of the best chicken breasts ever so well seasoned. Missed a nice restaurant.
Poor bed sheets, pillows and towels.
We stayed with our 2 sons for 4 nights.

Room Tip: junior suites ending in 28
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Been to Eurostars Berlin Hotel? Share your experiences!