“Not so good as first time” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Steigenberger Hotel Berlin

You added Steigenberger Hotel Berlin to your Saves list
Steigenberger Hotel Berlin
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Los-Angeles-Platz 1 | 10789 Berlin, 10789 Berlin, Germany (Charlottenburg)   |
Ranked #90 of 665 Hotels in Berlin
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Adelaide, Australia
“Not so good as first time”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

We stayed at the Steigenberger a year ago and found it good enough to return this year. The room, the outlook, the position, the parking and the ambiance were all excellent. On arrival we were greeted at the desk by an officious "manager" who berated me for not having the correct voucher (having booked on the internet) and generally treated me like a recalcitrant small child - only to discover that we did have the correct piece of paper. This involved an altercation and unnecessary raising of blood pressure and not what one expects from the customer service of a 5* hotel. The restaurant catered for our special dietary needs very well, even if the maitre d' lacked something in charm and interpersonal skills. They did give us access to the executive suite for breakfast which was appreciated. All in all we would return there, but would advise the hotel to look to its staff training and staff morale to ensure customers are treated courteously at all times.

David C

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
hb31, Manager at Steigenberger Hotel Berlin, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Dear "David C",

Thank you very much for being our guest for another time and for being so honest to us.

You are right. There is no apologizing for unfriendly staff. We already terminated trainings for our reception and service staff and want to say sorry.

We hope we can welcome you again soon and convince you of our silver linings.
With kind regards

Torsten K. Schulze

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

The hotel is located next to the Kudamm so it's perfect for shops and restaurants and very well connected by public transportation (several metro stops around). I was upgraded to a suite and was impressed with the room. It was very spacious, clean, nicely decorated, and with little details such as fresh flowers that really made a difference. The staff was friendly and helpful. The internet connection was not great, sometimes it didn't work and having to re-enter long codes every time to connect was a bit annoying. I had access to the Lounge and it was well worth it. The food was awesome, especially breakfast, and the ladies there were very nice. The only negative was that the king-size bed was actually two twin beds pushed together with two twin comforters so that was a bit odd. Other than that it was a great hotel and I would not hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Dear "Piolina",

Thank you very much for your taking the time to right such a nice review about your stay.

We are very glad to hear that you liked our newly renovated suite as well as our organic breakfast buffet. Moreover we want to thank you for the compliment about our friendly employees.

We forwarded your hint about the Wi-Fi to our IT Concierge. He will love to help you with a separate rooter for your room during your next stay with us. Just tell us.

Nicest regards from the Los-Angeles-Platz

cowdenbeath
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012 via mobile

Arrived on the 4th sept to 11th sept. the first morning the shower was going hot cold, mentioned about it at reception and it was fixed by the morning. Nice piano bar where they had a singer Thursday night to Saturday night. Stayed in the executive room where I could have a coffee with the nespresso machine included in the price of the room. Staff very friendly and helpful. There is a smoking room in the hotel next to restaurant so you don't need to stand outside. You get a username and password when you check in for the free wi-fi, worked perfectly had no problems. During my stay I managed to finish of there German whiskey slyrs. Would go back to this hotel next time I'm in Berlin.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dear "tigger79cowdenbeath",

Thank you very much for visiting us and for your very positive review.

It is very nice to read that we convinced you with our friendly staff, the Wi-Fi free of charge in the whole hotel as well as with the amenities of our executive rooms.

Best regards from the Los-Angeles-Platz

4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

Well located off the Kurfurstendamm, the hotel was a bit ugly from the outside, but the staff on check in were polite, friendly, efficient and very helpful. Room was good, amazingly comfy beds, average size, but modern. Liked the shower, another larger towel per person would have been good as handtowels not enough for longer hair. The lighting in the room was perhaps a little dark. The breakfasts here were simply amazing: every choice any one could ever want. Sadly did not get to try the spa facilities. Free wifi and 2 pcs with printers by reception. Also found an amazing tapas bar around the corner. Would stay again, it was a good hotel, but I would say it is a 4 star and not a 5.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear "Ird77",

thank you very much for being our guest and taking the time to review about your time in our hotel.

It is really nice to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and recommend us. Thank you very much for your compliment about our employees and the newly renovated rooms as well as the organic breakfast buffet, too.

Unfortunately we cannot change the façade as this is protected by law. But thank you very much for your hint about another big towel. With a little sign during your stay our executive housekeeper loves to help you. We could note to your personal guest profile that you wish another towel for a next stay, too.

We forwarded your idea of optimizing the lighting in the room to our chief engineer.

We hope to welcome you again soon!
with best regards

england
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

Stayed in hotel for 4 nights last weekend, lovely room. On check in hotel had been told by lastminute.com stay was 1 person 3 nights, we were 2 adults and child fortunately we had booking with us, and all resolved. Location excellent, breakfast was extra at 23 euros each, so we went to pattisserie around corner and all ate and drank to hearts content sat in sun on terrace for 8 euros for all of us(bargain). Saying that on an evening we relaxed in the piano bar and enjoyed great beer and delicous cakes all quite reasonable. Top tip put your dont clean room hanger on door before you go to bed otherwise room cleaning will be knocking at 8am. Hotel pool is brill, staff excellent really cant fault the place.Wifi in room kept dropping out gave up in the end because poor signal.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
hb31, Manager at Steigenberger Hotel Berlin, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
Dear "nickold",

Thank you really much for being our guest and taking the time for your review about your stay.

Great that you enjoyed your stay and had a good time in one of our newly renovated rooms and liked our Pianobar.

Thank you for your hints referring our Wi-Fi and the cleaning start, too. You are right, it is important to hang out the "do not disturb" sign so that the housekeeping know where they allowed to knock and where the guest would like to sleep longer.

With a short note in the hotel our IT-Concierge would love to help you during your next stay with bringing an extra rooter for making the Wi-Fi signal stronger to your room.

best regards,

UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012 via mobile

Very good central location, very friendly staff and clean, comfortable, modern rooms. The staff should be commended on their friendliness and willingness to help - I think this makes the stay more relaxed. Free wifi available, lovely Nespresso coffee machine in the room and an excellent breakfast available (including a huge choice of morning teas!). The pool and sauna area was an attractive bonus, but did get busy. To be fair I did stay here during one of the busiest summer weekends in Europe so busy lifts, breakfast areas etc, was to be expected. I also really liked being able to open the window in my room - so many hotels make their guests endure air conditioning so I appreciated sleeping with a breeze though the room! All in all, I would definitely stay here again.
Warning: 5 star standards do vary from country to country, so don't expect 5 star Middle East or Far East standards when staying in Germany/Europe. This hotel offers a very high standard at good prices and in a very central location.

Stayed August 2012
Dear "SimonAdam",

Thank you so much for your review and for taking the time for it.

It is really great that you found so many positive aspects about our hotel: our friendly staff, the modern and clean executive rooms iwth a Nespresso machine, our location, the sumptuous and organic breakfast buffet and even our windows.

And we thank you very much for your hint about the 5 star rankings in different destinations. It is really important to be aware of those diefferences.

We hope to welcome you again soon at the Los-Angeles-Platz and send
beste regards,

Tokyo, Japan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

I’ve visited Belrin in 1975 and 1992. This was the third visit. When I checked in, a front man remembered my name. After taking a rest, I walked to Siegessaure (went up to top), Brandenburger Tor, Reichstag, Deutcher Bundestag, Berlin Dom (went up to top) and Fernsehturm (TV tower). I was going up to the tower for the second time (once in 1992), but battery of the camera was completely discharged, then I decided to come back to the hotel and took a No. 100 bus. I dropped the bus at zoo. At the next morning, when I went to the front, he called my name. I asked him where is the nearest bus stop for No. 100/200 bus. His answer was very adequate to understand easily. And I asked him to extend the checkout time (normally noon) until three o'clock without extra. Because I was not sure that what time I would be back after going up to TV tower and Potsdamer Platz via Brandenburger Tor. And my flight to Frankfurt (then to Tokyo) was 17.30. He agreed the extension until one o'clock. I appreciated so much and after that time I agreed for my luggages to be moved to the store room. I came back around two o'clock and checked out. There were so many guests for check in. After lunch at Daitokai, I asked him the best way to get to Tegel airport and he explained two ways. One is a cheaper way, but I had two luggages, then I decided to take a taxi. As a conclusion, he called my name everytime we met , agreed the extension and gave me adequate explanation. These made me so comfortable during the stay at this hotel.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Dear "Tadahiro H",

Thank your very much for taking the time to review about your stay and beeing our guest.

It is really nice to read that you enjoyed your stay and that one of our front office employees made it a very special one. We shared you comment with our employees and thank you very much for spending such a motivation.

best regards,

Torsten K. Schulze

Been to Steigenberger Hotel Berlin? Share your experiences!