“Not a happy stay” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #386 of 662 Hotels in Berlin
Burlington, New Jersey
“Not a happy stay”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Terrbily high rate due to a large convention being on, the Best Western was only saved by its location. The plumbing did not work correctly and water poured out of my shower, into the hallway of my room. The walls were paper thin and there was nowhere to hide when the fun started in the room next door.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
SaDr, sales at BEST WESTERN Hotel President, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Dear guest,

first of all we want to thank you for your time making a hotel review of our hotel.

Your satisfaction is very important for us - because of this we are very sad that you didnt enjoy your stay with us. If we had known your situation in the hotel we would do everything to make you happy again. Because we dont see your booking details here I would be glad if you could send to me your private mail adress so that we will find a good way to make you happy again.

Please write to us via sales@president-hotel.de

Im sure that in our personal conversation we will find a good way for both of us.

Im looking forward to hear from you soon.

Your BEST WESTERN Hotel President Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Basel, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

We booked this Hotel based on its location, reviews and price. We booked a total of 2 double-bed rooms.

On arrival we were informed that we were upgraded into the Presidential wing of the Hotel. As we entered our rooms, we were pleased. The room was spacious and well maintained. Though it had a view of the back garden, it quite and pleasant.

The only issue from me was the Internet connection. You need to collect the Internet credentials from the Reception. The connection will auto-logoff after a usage of more than 500 MB. Also the connection was a bit slow. But it served our purpose to some extent.

It is located 2 stops away from the Europa center, a walking distance to the famous stop for 100 Bus line. It is 10 min bus ride from the Berlin Zoo. All the major attractions were a few minutes bus-ride away. (Read 100 Bus line ride)

A nice and comfortable stay to relax ourselves after a day-long tour of this wonderful city.

Room Tip: If you are going for a long stay, try for the rooms in the Presidential wing of the Hotel. Spacious...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
glasgow
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013 via mobile

We have found our stay at Hotel President very satisfactory. Our top floor room at the back was spacious and comfortable. Though the bathroom was a bit dated it worked well. The tea making facility is marvellous. We would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013
Moscow, Russia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

We've got in the following situation - according to some advises I decided to book room in other hotel of same net. When we arrived we found it's awful. After my call to President and explanation of topic, lady in reception booked immediately last room (President was really full) and gave me advise to escape the charge for booked hotel by rules.
So, President is nice, good breakfast, nice and welcome stuff, answering all my questions for city tour, shops, distances, etc. It is situated 5 minutes from U station Wittenbergplatz, area is nice, western and quiet. The time I will visit Berlin again - no more other hotels, only President!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
SaDr, Guest Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN Hotel President, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to send us your feedback concerning your visit in our Hotel. We are happy to hear, that you enjoyed your stay and hope to welcome you soon again with us!

Sincerely yours
The BEST WESTERN Hotel President Team
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

Great location, easy access to transportation. Heating worked great break from the freezing Easter weather. Hotel reception ecspecially Sarah, we're consistently friendly and helped in every detail of my stay. Being a best western frequent stay member the hotel put me in a dedicated member part of the hotel. My room was quiet, clean and the bed was very comfortable. The decor is dated 1980's however again common areas we clean. Interesting mix of guests during what turned out to be a "leather" weekend,,,and Easter. Gym was small but offered a basic universal and one treadmill.

Room Tip: Interior room viewed courtyard, not especially pretty but quiet.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Copenhagen, Denmark
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

My review is basically the email I sent to the hotel management and have neer received a reply. Read and judge yourselves.

Dear Aydin Ergin,

First of all, I would like to wish you and the President Hotel staff a very happy and successful 2013. I hope the restoration works are well underway and that the elevator to the 8th floor is not causing you any further troubles (Note: As other guests rating this hotel, I was offered an alternative room following my complaint that the 'updgraded' room we had got actually did not fulfill a basic booking request: a real double bed instead of 2 twin beds pulled together. The only lift to the floor I was directed to was broken: As soon it reached the 8th floor, it started falling down one floor at the time. I assure you it was not funny. When I returned chocked to the reception, they assumed it was a trick to avoid checking the alternative room at all. Mr. Ergin urged me to follow him to the 8th floor and I told him if he managed to go up and back safe, I would happilly follow. He took the lift alone to prove me wrong and it took about 5 min to see him back again, pale as a ghost. Close note.) That particular experience of the “slow falling lift” is definitely among my most memorable travel moments; it makes me smile even though it was first amusing once it was over. I believe you agree with me.

Unfortunately, there was one single thing that was definitely not amusing at all, even several months after. That is the reason why the invoice from our July 2012-stay at the President has been laying on my home office desk, waiting for the day I would have the time and opportunity to write you. I definitely did not want to rate the hotel in any of the sites I contribute to, until I had had the chance to expose my experience to the hotel management.

Our stay was great.

Our check-out was horrible.

And trust me, after several years working as a stewardess, many others working for the United Nations and being a business traveler for decades, I must say I have experienced a significant number of check-outs.

And it surprises me immensely to learn that the reception staff-member that I believed was a “new-to-the branch” and a person completely unfit to be working in the service industry is actually the hotel’s service manager. Amazing.

Upon check-out, Mr. Hamdi asked me if I had used anything in the minibar, to which I replied that one beer was taken. He did not show us the bill, told me the amount to be paid and I provided him my card for debit.

When I was finally handed the credit card receipt back along with the invoice, I could see he had added another beer to our bill, making it two instead of one. And that we were being charged for a breakfast in a day we had not eaten at the hotel.

These are small things and errors that may occur, therefore not the reason to my complaint.

The reason was his reaction, attitude and the tone he addressed us in the following 30 minutes it took him to solve the issue and refund us the amount he had charged in the excess.

We were told we should have told him the amount was wrong before paying, even though he was the one keeping the specified invoice behind the counter. My experience is that customers always have the chance to review the hotel bill before paying.

He refused to provide us the refund (of less than 30 Euros) in cash though I had politely explained to him that I had bad experiences in the past in accepting this form of refund (credit back to my card never completed) and therefore I kindly insisted to have my refund in cash.

I am glad I did so because actually he had already charged my credit card twice for the amount of our stay, I found out a month later and you can certainly verify that yourself by checking the credit card payments processed on June 29, invoice nr. 446397.

He believed I could not understand German, which I do, and therefore I could clearly follow-up with his communications with the cashier to verify the claims we had made and his colleagues, leading to finally paying-out our refund. He referred to us in a clearly degrading tone and was directly provocative towards my partner, whom I had to urge not to respond to Mr. Hamdi’s verbal abuse. Mr. Hamdi was absolutely not content for me asking for his name when the case was finally settled (he pointed to the ‘NH’ on my invoice and said it was already there) and I was told-off because I wrote a note on the credit note stating the amount refunded, believing it was my own copy. He took it of me and I actually never got a copy at all.

In my humble opinion, Mr. Hamdi has absolutely none of the service backbone and professionalism needed to be a front-desk representative of the Best Western brand. I am a Human Resources practitioner and I could not help wandering who had selected that person for that position. Actually, for some time I believed he must be “son of the owner” or something similar, for who else would find it proper treating customers as poorly?

I am pleased Bianka Jurasch, who was the one who checked us in, was also working at the reception that day, so we had a constant reminder of the good staff you have at the hotel. I was pleased to give her my personal thanks for a pleasant stay before we left. Bianka had no involvement in the whole circus created by Mr. Hamdi and I could see she was actually quite embarrassed. It must be sad to have to share workspace and reputation with someone who is so much below one’s own level of professionalism.

And why am I telling you all this Mr. Ergin?

Because, if I had a business, I would really appreciate that my customers let me know if there was something terribly wrong (such as an elevator going mad or worse) before I actually started to lose other customers on that account.

An my experience of the days spent at the President shows you have a very nice and welcoming business going on and that you are trying to get even better, so a rotten apple should not be allowed to spoil the whole tree.

I hereby renew my best wishes to you and we hope Hotel President remains the destination of choice for us and the people who rely in our travelers’ advice.

With best regards and wishes,

I repeat, no answer was ever received to mail above. So, next time I am in Berlin, I'm certainly staying at another hotel. Paying to be abused is masochism.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
SaDr, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Hotel President, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
You are right ...

Dear Madam,

... this should not have happened. Unfortunately, you had reason to complain, and we are very sorry about this.

Of course, it is particularly important to us that our guests feel absolutely comfortable. Of course this includes also a perfect service and top quality. Unfortunately, we have not achieved this during your stay and we would like to apologize at this point.

We are grateful for any information of our guests - they help us to identify vulnerabilities, and to continuously working on improvements. Your criticism is very valuable to us.

Dear Madam, as a thank you for the inconvenience and as a thank you for taking the time for your review we like give you the enclosed voucher for your next stay and hope to convince you of a significant improvement.

Sincerely yours
BEST WESTERN Hotel President

Aydin Ergin
Tampere, Finland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

I was in Berlin for a business trip for a week.
I chose this hotel because the location is excellent. Near shopping and work.
A few good restaurants also nearby, you should try the Italian restaurant Sorrento.
The Presidential Club rooms are quite good and quiet.
The breakfast is normal, nothing special, nice setting though.
The plus Point for me is, that the lounge bar is also for smokers, this is luxury.
The price is on the Heavy side compared the quality, but I would say it is Worth of trying.

Room Tip: Try to get Presidental Club rooms.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Been to BEST WESTERN Hotel President? Share your experiences!