“Lovely hotel, great location” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Summer Sale - From €119
Ranked #59 of 664 hotels in Berlin
Cheshire
“Lovely hotel, great location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

Just come back from a long weekend in Berlin and found this hotel outstanding. The hotel is in a great location for seeing the sights. The Gendermarkt is directly outside the hotel and only a short distance walk to Postdamer Platz, Brandenburg Gate and Berliner Dom. There is a beautiful chocalatier across the road from the Hilton Berlin too. The pool is lovely to relax in with a small gym if the mood takes your fancy which are free to use if staying at the hotel. Use of the sauna is an extra charge though. The bar/lounge area down stairs is very relaxing with drinks being usual city hotel prices.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

2,351 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (283)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
southern california
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

This is a delightful property centrally located in the Gendarme market in Berlin. The hotel has everything you would want and the staff is very responsive. I stayed 5 nights and booked a regular room as a Hhonors gold member. I had some modest problems all of which were resolved and overall really enjoyed my stay.

I booked a regular king room at the worldwide government rate.
At checkin I was told I was upgraded to a deluxe room but that my rate did not qualify me for an upgrade to the executive lounge. When I got to my room I discovered that there was open food left from a previous guest or staff member on the counter in the room and I went back to the front desk to complain. They apologized and offered me executive lounge access for my stay - a very nice touch. I had continued problems with housekeeping - there
was some sticky stuff on the same counter as the food and it was not cleaned even after I asked them to check the room after the bad check-in. Moreover they were supposed to replace the feather pillows on the bed - and this was not done despite the front desk having it registered
in the system as done. Housekeeping came back and replaced two pillows rather than all three on the bed. Then a few days later they took all the non-feather pillows and replaced them all with feathered pillows without asking me - I discovered after coming back late one night and I had to ask someone to bring more pillows late at night.

Another difficulty was that the room and hotel in general was somewhat uncomfortably warm. I might suggest they turn down the heating a few degrees to a more comfortable temperature.

After these few problems, my stay was really fantastic. My upgraded room turned out to be
an inside corner room almost twice the size of a regular room (according to the floorplan).
It faced into the inner courtyard and was incredibly quiet. Perhaps one of the quietest rooms I have ever stayed at in a hotel. I was able to open the windows (they do not open completely only to crack a bit) and keep the room somewhat cool without having noise from the outside - excellent for sleeping at night.

My bed was a king (a true king rather than two singles squished together) and came with two
heavy comforters. These were far too warm and after a night or two tossing and turning with those hot blankets I asked them to send me a thinner blanket for sleeping. They offered to put a wool blanket inside the duvet cover and that worked well for me. Although I did miss the traditional American sheets - I never get used to the German style of sleeping under a "sheeted" duvet. I find it strange the hotel can be so warm inside yet the standard bedding is comprised of very thick comforters.

The room was practically a suite I have included some pictures of the sitting area and so forth. It was a fantastic room to have for five days in Berlin.

The gym is very well equipped. I used it every morning. There was a precor AMT machine - my favorite - and also a regular precor elliptical, and some bikes and treadmills. There is a stack of free weights and a few stacked weight machines, including a leg press. There is no bottled water on tap in the gym - so you might want to bring your own. But the tap water is available from a water fountain. Towels and headphones are available and the machines have TV
attached to them.

There is a pool next to the gym. It's not terribly large but you can swim minilaps if you want to swim for fitness.

Perhaps the best part of this hotel is the executive lounge. They have the full breakfast. I wanted hot oatmeal and they did not have it but offered to special order it for me as part of my breakfast. I had to send back the first batch because they did not know how to cook hot oatmeal. It was basically hot milk poured over undercooked oats. I told them to make it with water and cook it longer and they brought me something more akin to the oatmeal I am used to getting at other Hilton properties. The next time I came to breakfast I brought a recipe with me and sent it off to the chef. After that I got perfectly prepared hot oatmeal. But it takes about 15 minutes to wait for (because there is at least 10 minutes of cooking for this stuff).
The executive lounge also has afternoon tea starting at 3 and drinks/hors d'euvres starting at 6pm. One can have a light supper at the lounge if one does not want a full dinner.

There is a chocolate shop across from the hotel with many types of chocolates not typically available in the US. If you like chocolate you might want to stop by that place.

Overall I felt this hotel to be an excellent value for a gold member with access to the executive lounge. It was very conveniently located but still in a relatively quiet location, right across from the subway. I would stay there again if I were going to Berlin.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the inner courtyard if you want a quiet room. For an upgrade get a corner roo...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Anja_Tuccio, Executive Secretary at Hilton Hotel - Berlin, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Thank you so much for the detailed description of your recent stay at the Hilton Berlin which, I am sure, will be very informative for other travellers.. We will certainly further follow up with our housekeeping department on the various issues you have mentioned. Once again please accept our sincere apologies.
We hope to welcome you back to the Hilton Berlin - and promise we will all know how to cook oatmeal by then!
With kind regards,
Anja
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

What a hotel! This was my first visit to not only this hotel but also Berlin. Amazing city and amazing hotel. The hotel couldn’t be any closer to the U Bahn (underground) – you have an entrance to the Stadtmitte one literally opposite where you can easily get to Alexanderplatz directly on this line.

Upon walking through the entrance you are greeted by an elegant and slick lobby – very beautiful indeed, and there was also someone playing the piano in the big bar area opposite which sounded great. There were plenty of staff on hand to check you in and being a diamond member I was promptly escorted to the executive lounge for a private check-in. The complimentary upgrade for diamond members was already allocated as standard and I was taken to my room by one of the friendly staff members. Just as we got to the door the hotel manager was actually walking out of my room as he had been to check everything was satisfactory ready for my arrival – which I thought was nice.

The room was excellent and I had an amazing view of the Berlin Cathedral and Gendarmenmarkt. The room also benefitted from an English plug socket which was a good touch and meant I didn’t need to use the converter I had taken with me.

If you don’t have a smoking room but are a smoker then there’s a nice smoking lounge on the first floor.

The hotel, as you would expect, is in quite a posh area of the city, so most of the restaurants are on the top end of the price scale. I imagine most of the people staying at the hotel have no problem paying the higher price, though! I found it no problem taking the underground to find cheaper alternatives and I also found a nice Bavarian restaurant round the corner called Maximilians which I ate at twice and it was very reasonably priced.

The executive lounge is great. Very big with lots to offer throughout the day.

There were plenty of notes around regarding the work being done on the lifts and the staff also mentioned it to me and apologised. This was no problem at all and I’d struggle to see how it could bother anyone, so I hope no one has made any negative comments about this.

The hotel concierge was extremely helpful and knowledgeable too.

I would not hesitate to come back to this hotel and I highly recommend it. I would like to think I will be back again……..when the weather is warmer! I imagine I will see a different side of Berlin in the summer, which I look forward to checking out.

Room Tip: Ask if it's possible to have a room facing the Berlin Cathedral.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Dear guest,
Thank you so much for your positive feedback. We are delighted you had such an enjoyable stay at the Hilton Berlin and hope to be able to welcome you back soon. In the summer you would indeed discover a whole new side of Berlin. There are lots of nice beer gardens and street cafés. Also the atmosphere on Gendarmenmarkt square is quite amazing, especially during the Classic Open Air concerts. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly should you wish to receive further information.
With kind regards,
Anja
benisuef
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

fancy place, fancy rooms, perfect loopy with singer and piano, great to spend the evening. inside attraction area, near subway, excellent breakfast open buffet .
worth every cent !
much recommend it if you can afford it, you can check their offers deals for deductions

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Frankfurt, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

The Berlin Hilton is according to my opinion the best Hilton Hotel in Germany and has a fantastic location in Central Berlin.It's right at the Gendarmenmarkt and in a walking distance to almost all major sightseeing points in Berlin.
The hotel offers everything what you'd expect from a top Hilton Hotel. Nice rooms, a couple of nice dining and drinking places and a indoor pool. The hotel congierge is very helpful and will get you tickets to any show or entertainment venue. If you prefer to drink or eat outside there are a lot of bars and restaurants nearby. At the Bistro Borchards very close to the hotel one might even see members of the German government. If you you don't mind the price, it's probably one of the best places to stay in Berlin.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Milan, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

It's exactly what you expect from a Hilton. You have all the convenience you expect from a hotel that you travel when on business. They've recently undergone a renovation and the lobby and reception areas are much more welcoming. The gym facilities are small, but there's usually not a lot of people and you can get your work out done at any time. The SPA offers saunas and relaxing tropical showers. The TV's menu functionality are a tad annoying as it takes several clicks to get to what you want to see, but oh well, no biggie. The breakfast is the highlight. A very nice selection of baked goods, cereal, fruits, fresh juices, etc. Finally the location is fantastic, right in the middle of town!

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Hull UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

We are a little late in posting this review.

We stayed in the Hilton in December. The location was excellent, a 2 minute walk from the Metro. The location could not be better for what we needed, and right next door to the lovely chocolate shop and opposite was the Christmas market. Good bars and places to have breakfast. We prefer eating at local places instead of hotels.

The hotel very clean (although once the coffee mugs were not cleaned in the room) and the rooms a good size with slippers and bathrobes. We slept very well with no outside noise.

We will certainly stay there again when we visit Berlin.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Anja_Tuccio, Executive Secretary at Hilton Hotel - Berlin, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Thank you so much for your positive comments. We were deligthed to learn that you have enjoyed your stay with us and were satisfied with the services provided. We will certainly follow up with our housekeeping team regarding the coffee mugs as such a shortfall is of course not in line with our usual standards. By the way, with all the cafés around the square the Gendarmenmarkt is also a lovely location in the summer, especially during the Classic Open Air concerts - maybe this would be an idea for a next visit? We look forward to welcoming you back!

Been to Hilton Hotel - Berlin? Share your experiences!