“great, but not perfect” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 663 Hotels in Berlin
Graz, Austria
“great, but not perfect”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

Disclaimer: probably I had too high expectation for this hotel and I am too picky. I enjoyed the stay, still something could be improved.

The price was much less than I expected for the most popular hotel of Berlin. The room was spectacular, together with the location and the whole building. The staff was friendly but the lady at the reception kept speaking German even after seeing that my partner had to translate to English for me what she said. This was slightly unpleasant.
The room: huge, clean, elegant. The bath tub big and comfortable. The shower door was leaking water though.
The bed was a king size, but with two mattresses - which kept splitting if trying to sleep in the centre of the bed - two bedsheets, two blankets. This is the German style of setting the bed, but we explicitly asked for one large blanket and bed sheet when we reserved the room and I would have expected it to be possible in such a hotel.
My last complain: there was no kettle in the room, which I have always found in hotels of the same category all around the world.
The rest was simply awesome. The hall, the restaurant with live music, the atmosphere.
Having breakfast there was simply a treat. Good espresso and classy food, great selection of cheeses and caviar together with high quality pastries.
Overall: great, but not perfect. Anyway.. I would go back there.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

If I could give this hotel six stars, I would. My husband and I booked a deluxe room for three nights at the Adlon. The hotel itself is absolutely gorgeous,, with old world elegance; and the location could not be better -- adjacent to the Brandenburg Gates, and walking distance to many key sites.

The room itself was large and beautifully appointed. Beds were comfortable,with high count linens and comfortable pillows. Lights for the entire room, bathroom area and bedside could be controlled from each bedside with a central control system. The bathroom was double sinked, had a large tub and separate shower. The toilet area could be closed off from the bathroom sink and bathing areas. Towels were large and luxurious, bath and shower products deluxe.

The room was fully serviced twice a day. Turndown service at night included a linen towel on each bedside floor with slippers. Since I drink bottled water at night, this was noticed by housekeeping service, who placed a fresh, cold bottle by my bedside each night,

Afternoon tea is served in the lobby in the afternoon, as well as cocktail service and menu service for light meals, all day. We found the servers to be extremely friendly. There were even several times when we were waiting for friends to join us, and didn't want to order anything. The servers had no problem with this and didn't make us feel uncomfortable at all, just using the lobby as a waiting room.

We ate breakfast twice in the dinning room. We didn't have the buffet but ordered off the menu. One of the waiters remembered what we had ordered the day before and asked if I would still like my eggs prepared over well, and my husband's omelette an egg white only omelette. C'mon now, THIS is service extraordinaire!

The doorman did ask us the first day, when we returned from a long walk, if he could "help us". Once we told him that we were guests returning to the hotel, he remembered us every day afterward and would greet us with, "welcome back".

Concierges were knowledgable, very helpful and efficient. They managed to procure good seats for us for the Berlin Philharmonic , the day of the performance.

We have stayed in many fine hotels throughout the world. This ranks right up there with the Oriental hotel in Bangkok, and is even better than the George V in Paris. Why? Elegance, service, and professionalism without the "attitude". Good job, Kempinski!

Room Tip: Don't be afraid to book a courtyard view room. The courtyard is a pleasure to look out on -- wi...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

I stayed there already many times. And I always feel home there. The people are so friendly and the Service ist the best from Germany. SPA is big enough and very clean. Even the smallest Executive Room is big enough. Once after a while I got an upgrade to Pariser Platz Suite (Room 219) what was amazing. View to the Brandenburger Tor and the Pariser Platz. Really the best hotel from Germany.

Room Tip: For Pariser Platz Suite the 2nd Floor is perfect and for a normal room 514 is also very nice.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Boston, MA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

I booked a Deluxe room several months ago and they were not able to guarantee a king sized bed at the time of booking. About a month before my stay I emailed the reservations department to ask if a king bed could be guaranteed. I received a response that my bed preference was now 'guaranteed.' I followed up 2 days before check-in with another email confirming the arrival/departure and bed details. I received another response that my reservation was in order as indicated.

Upon check in....no king bed. The front desk staff couldn't have been more indifferent to my request or concern they weren't able to provide what was guaranteed; even after they read the printed email I had available. Finally, after three attempts over several hours, a Reservations Manager agreed that the hotel should provide me with what they confirmed in writing.

I had to agree to a downgrade to an Executive Room in the new wing for the same nightly price. The bed was a king, but very uncomfortable. With other luxury brands investing in premium beds and bedding, the Adlon is way behind their competitors. Additonally, a true luxury brand wouldn't have put up a fight when on of their guests expresses concern over their 'guaranteed' reservation details.

The Adlon's location is excellent but there are other luxury brand hotels (Ritz Carlton, Regent) within a few blocks that are less expensive and offer a comparable, if not better, experience.

Walk the blocks and same the money. This hotel is now off my list.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
kosinlay, Manager at Hotel Adlon Kempinski, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
Dear esteemed Adlon guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for sharing your valuable feedback here on Tripadvisor. We appreciate your feedback as it allows us to progress our service and product and to be aware of areas of improvement. I am sorry to read that we did not meet your expectations while staying with us. Please accept my apologies for your unpleasant experience and be assured that this is not our standard.
I will relay your sentiments to our concerned associates for improvement.

Please get in touch with me at franck.droin (at) kempinski.com to give me the chance to apologize personally and to convince you of our service and supreme product.

It will be my utmost pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel Adlon Kempinski and to make your next stay with us a truly remarkable one.

With best regards,
Lausanne
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

I was really looking forward returning to Adlon and Berlin hoping that it will even be better than the last time. How wrong I was! It seems that they completely forgot that the 5-star hotel is mostly about the service and not only about the beauty of the building and its location. Yes, it is still beautiful, perfectly located, nice rooms and amenities, but I really didn’t feel welcome.

Cold reception upon arrival, slightly chaotic breakfast organisation, rude doorman that not only do not offer any service but act as a bouncers (if your dress code is not showing off labels they will try to stop you from entering the hotel!), lobby bar they don’t even clean the table when serving drinks (had to ask for it), during dinner I was not even asked if I wanted to order a drink, bath robe disappearing from the room. As I was running a marathon I was always dressed casually and the attitude of the staff was so snobbish like I don’t belong there. That is a big no-no for a hotel of such a reputation.

And to complete the picture, you have a feeling that they want to charge you for almost anything. Late checkout – if you want to stay few hours longer it will almost cost you as the whole night. You reserve a marathon package - pasta buffet is extra. No nice touches like an evening chocolate or pillow choice.

Sure, there are many good things, but I expect the best and above all an impeccable service. This time it was far away - Adlon experience was a great disappointment.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear valued reviewer,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to write this review. Your thoughts are meaningful to us as they help to continuously improve our product and service. I am very sorry to read that we did not meet your expectations during your last stay here at the Hotel Adlon Kempinski. Let me take the chance to express my sincere apologies and rest assured that this is not standard in our hotel.

I will get in touch with the mentioned departments to get further insights on your described experience.

Kindly contact me personally at franck.droin (at) kempinski.com so that I can apologies in person and learn to know how to make your next stay with us a remarkable on.
I am looking forward to hearing from you.

With best regards,
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

This was my second stay at the Adlon Kempinski, and I have to say that the service really lowered. Awfully rude doormen -first of all they don't even bother opening the door for you, I mean is this a 1 star or 5 star hotel?! Secondly a doormen asked me in the rudest possible manner "um can I help you?!" while I was walking into the hotel dressed casual.Very lazy staff overall, they act as if they are the guests and not you, very snobbish. However very friendly waiters at the lobby bar. The location couldn't be better, and the hotel itself is lovely! The Sra Bua restaurant in the hotel had delicious food. It's a pity that the rudeness of most of the staff ruined my stay in such a beautiful hotel. The value for money, my isn't very adequate. Do avoid this hotel if you like dressing casual, you WILL be treated poorly.

• Stayed September 2013
Dear esteemed reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your precious feedback here on Tripadvisor. As we strive to offer you a great product and an excellent service, I comment is very meaningful to us. Please take my sincere apologies for the experience with us and let me assure you that this is not standard within the Hotel Adlon Kempinski.

I kindly ask you to contact me at franck.droin (at) kempinski.com to give me more insights on your stay with us.

It will be my pleasure to welcoming you back at the Hotel adlonKempinski to make your next stay a memorable one.

Best regards,
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

This wasn't our first visit and unfortunately it was just for one night due to everything being booked up for the Berlin Marathon weekend. From start to finish it was a pleasure to be back. On this occasion we were offered and gladly availed of an upgrade to a lovely suite on the sixth floor overlooking the Brandenburg Gate - everything being at the Adlon is about. Front of house service and housekeeping were as fabulous as ever. Drinks and complementary nibbles in the foyer bar were delicious and prices only enough to raise an eyebrow if you are not expecting five start prices in a five star hotel.

The breakfast buffet remains spectacular and I would recommend getting up a little earlier than you might have planned so that you can avail of all it has to offer without being rushed (closes at 1100). Maybe even throw in a run and a session in the sauna before breakfast to kickstart your day! I have never found the fitness centre to be busy.

I read some other visitors' comments on Adlon now being 'just another' Kempinski and the finer details coming slightly adrift. I would agree that some parts of the decor in the room was showing a bit of wear and tear but every hotel goes through cycles between renewal - I'd only be thinking of this as a problem if the minor chips and scratches had got worse by our next visit.

Ultimately if you are going to spend money to stay somewhere special in Berlin, then stay somewhere special, like right next to the Brandenburg Gate - how could it be any more memorable?

Room Tip: Sixth floor on the corner closest to Pariser Platz for the best views of the Brandenburg Gate and Re...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Adlon Kempinski? Share your experiences!