“Excellent "Historical" Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 668 Hotels in Berlin
Basel
“Excellent "Historical" Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

Am a regular in Berlin, but first time staying at this landmark hotel. Of course, this is the "new" Adlon - the original pre-war hotel survived the war but was burnt down shortly thereafter by the Red Army (by mistake, apparently). This reconstruction dating from 1997 however retains a lot of old-world charm, and rather gives the impression, from the floors to the common areas to the interior decoration of the lifts, as a new renovation of the original property rather than a complete reconstruction.

There are better bargains to be had in Berlin, and whilst the location is amazing in terms of embassys, the Brandenburg Gate and the Bundestag, it's actually pretty terrible if you just want to take a walk in the evening to find a restaurant. As any real Berliner will tell you, this is actually one of the deadest spots in town.

That said, this is the place where "everyone", from the Clintons to Obama to Bono and Michael Jackson stay(ed) when in Berlin. And the taxi fare to nearby spots with more "action" isn't an issue if you can able to stay here.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Overland Park, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012 via mobile

Government presence first day caused BIG inconvenience for private customers. We had to check in at a side location with little room to relax! We weren't allowed into the lobby. But the rest of the stay was a five star experience. They even do a great job with laundry. I recommend the Adlon in Berlin. The location is fantastic, so close to historical sites! You will like this hotel.

Tiptree, Essex
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

The Hotel is a great building - in a great place by The Brandenburg Gate - and it has lots of high ceilings, dark wood, white marble and red carpets as others have said. The guest rooms are of a good size with everything you would expect of a top quality hotel. Breakfast is excellent quality with lots of choice and all the meals were of the best quality, if a little sparse and definately "top dollar prices".

I agree that some of the staff can be poor at dealing with complaints, but that tends to be the more senior, all the day to day staff were extremely helpful and more than willing to do whatever it took to make the stay pleasant - especially the catering and restaurant staff.

I was there as part of a conference, with 300 delegates, that was booked a year in advance and following on from another conference on the Monday to Wednesday that had 400 delegates. So you can imagine how the hotel cordoned off large areas of the public space and forced guests to squeeze into restricted areas with limited access.
Always it is because VIPs, Government officials etc have turned up (this year it was Mrs Merkhel, 2 years ago it was Mr Putin) but if I was a paying guest this would frustrate me greatly.

So hence I say - a great hotel if maybe you are one of the delegates in a big conference group staying here with full access. Maybe not so good if it is you and your wife on a few days holiday in Berlin.

A shame.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of Brandenburg gate
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Colchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Stayed here on business and was amazed at the quality & attention to detail throughout my stay. Rooms were brilliant & suites out of this world. Location is unmatchable in Berlin and the Brandenburg Gate at night a view to remember.

Room Tip: Stunning hotel, and rooms amazing. Could not fault at any stage of my stay.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Really, the hotel takes your breath away. Gorgeous building, massive imposing lobby and increadible views over the Brandenburg Gate, Reichstag and Tiergarten. Lots of high ceilings, dark wood, white marble and red carpets. Beautiful guest rooms with huge bathrooms, oversized bathtubs and rainbow showers.
And I'll never go back.
The hotel was hot. My room was overheated and stuffy-and the Adlon doesn't trust its guest to set the temperature, so the fancy comupter controlled air conditioning has a whopping 4 degree range. 20-24. That's right folks, despite your being able to afford the place, you can't be trusted to know what temperature you want your room!
The food was shockingly bad. The 'highlight' for me was my €18 caesar salad, which was a few leaves of butter lettuce, two shavings of parmesan cheese, a spoonful of Bacos-(fake bacon bits!!) and a thin citrus-y dressing. I sent it back and ordered the Tom Yum soup with prawns and chicken. Two small prawns and three bits of chicken. And another €18. I'd wanted to try their Italian restaurant, Gabriellas, and was given directions to get to it by one of the bellmen as it can't be reached from inside the hotel. I wandered up and down the street in the rain for ten minutes before giving up and going back in. I asked at the front desk if perhaps I'd misunderstood, only to be told that Gabriella's had closed 6 weeks earlier.
The gym is tiny and the equipment is old. And, in what is meant to be a 5 star international business hotel, it doens't even open til 6:30 am, which is useless when your meetings start at 8. It's in the basement, and is part of the spa, so is not only extremely overheated like the rest of the hotel, it's also unbelievably humid due to the saunas and steam rooms.
The staff don't tolerate complaints gladly-the front desk staff were absolutely incredulous that I not only wanted to complain about my room temperature, but that I also had an issue with the gym opening times. One 'manager' literally rolled his eyes.
I was there as part of a conference, with 400 delegates, that was booked a year in advance. Yet not once, but twice, the hotel cordoned off large areas of the public space and forced us to squeeze into restricted areas with limited access. We were told it was because VIPs ahd turned up, but, given the advance booking and our overall spend....sorry, not good enough. We constantly had to remind officious staff that we too were guests in the hotel, even if they did their level best to let us know we were anything but important to them.
Never again.

Room Tip: Th eonly good room will be one that's somewhere else.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
kosinlay, Manager at Hotel Adlon Kempinski, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Dear esteemed Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on your experience with the Hotel Adlon Kempinski. Your opinion is highly appreciated as we strive to provide you with an excellent product and an outstanding service while staying with us. I am very sorry to read that we were not able to meet your expectations. Please accept my sincere apologies and be assured that the described inconveniences are not our standard.

We take pride in serving the needs of our guests to make their stay remarkable and unforgettable.

Please feel free to contact me personally at franck.droin (at) kempinski.com to provide me with further information on your stay and suggestions how to make your next visit with us a memorable one.

I am looking forward to welcoming you back at the Hotel Adlon Kempinski Berlin.

Kind regards,
Franck Droin
Hotel Manager
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

I stayed at the Adlon with my wife over our wedding anniversary for 3 nights. It is indeed a luxurious hotel with all the facilities you would want in a perfect location right by the Brandenburg Gate. They were aware that it was our wedding anniversary and on our 2nd night we received a complementary bottle of Prosecco - the same sparking wine that we received when we checked in - which was a nice touch. However, we were not granted any special favours in the original room allocation - a very dark 'inside' room on the top floor. To be fair, I did complain and they moved us to a bigger and brighter room on the 2nd floor - still looking over the courtyard, but it was brighter and a little more spacious. I paid for a Deluxe room (which on the Adlon website is advertised as having a street view and larger than the 'Executive' Room, but I am convinced that we were allocated into the cheaper room. As to the room itself, it was OK - nothing exceptional for the price and the bed was not that firm. I have certainly experienced better for the price.

The next negative service experience was that, having been out all day (from 09.30), when we came back the room was still not made up and they were just about to start on it. The staff asked us to stay out of the room. When we trooped down to reception, I made the point that they had over 6 hours in which to make up our room. Their excuse was that the hotel was full, which I find somewhat bizarre!! To be fair they gave us tea and cake in the Lobby Lounge whilst we were waiting (which was fine, by the way).

We would have gone to the swimming pool, except that we had gone the previous afternoon to find it very crowded - it is quite small and doesn't take too many people to make it feel quite claustraphobic. I guess early morning would have been quieter and more enjoyable.

The final negative experience was breakfast on our final day. The array of food on the buffet was impressive. Hot food was a little less expansive in choice, although the omelettes we had were terrific. Our issue was the way in which we were rushed along - plates were taken away before we had finished what was on them, we were continually being asked if they could take away cutlery and crockery from our table. At one point my wife was holding up her latte and a waiter removed the saucer that she was about to put the glass back on!! We felt rushed to a point that I did not enjoy what was supposed to be a leisurely breakfast....and for €78 for the two of us. Again, to be very fair, when I pointed this out to the manager, he was hugely apologetic and actually refunded the breakfast.

Amongst all these negatives, I would want to say that the staff were all very pleasant, and eager to help out. The concierge was particularly helpful with restaurant bookings. The public areas were grand and well appointed - so they shoudl be for the price! The location as others have pointed out, is perfect.

I think part of the problem with the Adlon is that it is quite a big hotel, and although there are plenty of staff, it's all fairly impersonal. Overall we had a good time, but I think there were too many issues to make this a great stay, even though all the service problems were resolved or compensated for. I still feel we were short-changed on the actual room itself. I was expecting to be wowed and, to be honest, left a little disappointed. Perhaps my expectations were too high??

Room Tip: Make sure you get at least the level of room you booked (and paid for). Avoid the top floor where t...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Scottsdale, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

Located a few steps from the Brandenburg Gate and close to almost all of Berlin attractions is this amazing hotel with everything anyone would expect from a top of the line hotel. Great service starts the moment you arrive at the door. Check in was fast and friendly, the offer a complementary glass of Prosecco. Rooms are very comfortable and I was surprised at the size of them, they are large and you don't feel cramped, bed was very comfortable and the pillows very cozy. The bathroom was good with all the perks of a hotel of this class. Room service was fast and tasty, way above normal room service. All of the staff goes well beyond exellent service I did not get a "NO" in all my 3 days stay. If you want the best, close to all and a top of the line hotel this is you first choice.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple