“Traditional and excellent” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 665 Hotels in Berlin
Dornbirn, Austria
“Traditional and excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

So, my shoes were not clean - during breakfast I removed them and they were returned to me 10 minutes later wrapped in silk paper and smelling of new polish. I ate my eggs benedict in front of the beautiful fire place. On my way to the room, I passed the magnificent bouquet of fresh flowers. My room was already made up - it was 9am. I found that a book marker had been placed in my book where I had left it open. It was raining - umbrellas were made available to us in that trusting manner which is so rare these days. OK, the gym is small and insignificant but you can't be perfect - it would detract from the warmth of the place. I look forward to staying there again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
new jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

If you are looking to be pampered in a great location to great 'sites' to see, this is the place for you. Very clean, very comfortable, very roomy and free internet service. We had a Ceasar salad for lunch there and breakfast. Both were delicious. Unfortunately, the prices to eat there could end up costing you as much as you paid for the room! Great restaurants in the Gandermarkt area which is nearby location.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

My husband and I spent 5 nights at this hotel last month. I had made the reservations a number of months ago and at that time did not elect to prepay the room for a lesser room charge. When we checked in we gave our Amex card and I filled out the registration form. I did not sign the section that permitted the hotel to charge on the card without my signature. Nonetheless, within 2 hours of our arrival my husband received an email from Amex which advised him that E1670 had been charged to our account without a signature. The front desk told me that I had not been charged (Amex used the word "purchase") but that they had "reserved" that amount. I explained that it was most likely not legal to do that and, in any event, I did not agree and did not understand why they thought that was an ok policy. I was told that they did it because they had a problem with Russians and others not having sufficient credit and not paying their bills. We decided not to ruin our trip and argue about this policy but to contact management when we returned to the US. I have spent some time on the Regent website and there appears to be no Customer Service email.

On a lesser note the front desk service was abominable. On Friday at 6 30 pm no one was at the concierge desk and I was told by a doorman that he was eating and had every right to be away from the desk. Hardly the service one expects from a hotel like the Regent. My guess is that they have a bad manager because friends who stayed there a year or so ago had very good service.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
alexandria, virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

I was very pleased with my stay at the Regent, especially for the price. The housekeeping service was great, including free treats delivered daily (chocolates, gummi bears, fruit, etc.). The breakfast, which was included, was amazing. The only negative was that WiFi service was very sporadic, especially in the rooms, but since we were always able to get service in the lobby lounge, it was not a huge inconvenience.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
RegentBerlin, Manager at Regent Berlin, responded to this review, November 9, 2013
Dear jw9691,

thank you very much for rating us five stars here on TripAdvisor. We are glad that you did enjoy your stay with us and that almost everything worked out the way you have expected it.

We would love to welcome you back soon. Don´t let us wait too long.

With best regards,

Your team of the Regent Berlin
Canberra
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

This was our second say at The Regent. It is very comfortable, extemely clean and right in the middle of the city. A big change since our visit last year was the free, highly reliable and fast wifi, a wonderful improvement as previously it was quite expensive. Staff were pleasant and helpful. We left just prior to the closure of Charlottenstrasse for the Berlin marathon and our cases were taken across the barricaded area to the taxi waiting for us.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Paris, France
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

It was my second stay at the Regent Berlin. The first one was great, so I was looking forward to this one. Facilities are basically the same and breakfast is outstanding, but service has really gone downhill.
Upon arrival at 10am, I was informed that my room was not ready and was escorted to a separate area by the lobby where I could work and was told that someone would come and let me know as soon as my room was ready. At noon, a colleague of mine arrives to the hotel, sees me by the reception, comes to say hello and asks “Isn’t your room ready? Sorry, I just checked-in and mine was”. So I go back to the reception and ask: “Is my room ready?”, and obviously it was, they had just forgotten me there…
Next day I return to the reception to ask if I could leave the room at 13h30 instead of noon, and the same person who checked me in looks at my face and says “NO”. Just like that – NO. A moment of silence comes between us and I probably had a startled face, so she adds “We are full”.
At precisely noon, I came down and was asked if everything was all right with my stay, so I told the woman who asked me everything I stated above, including that I do understand that the hotel cannot always accommodate early check-in and late check-out requests; however not all guests arrive and depart at the same time and would have it mattered if they gave me an extra 1h30? Plus I told her that her colleague was both inefficient (she forgot me at the reception are the day before) and unfriendly.
When I said this, her colleague (the one who checked-me in), stops attending the customer she was with, turns to me in a confrontational tone and says: “I was not unfriendly and yesterday I was not at the reception at noon”. I will leave each reader to judge such attitude, but this is certainly not the type of service and treatment I expect when I check-in at ANY hotel, especially not the Regent.
Next time, I will go back to the Hotel de Rome.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

We loved this hotel. I must have gotten an extremely good deal because I have paid a lot more for lower quality hotels. We were treated like royalty and the room was superb. Huge bathroom with separate walk in shower. High quality soap shampoo etc. The room was so comfortable. Free wifi that worked. Exceptional service from housekeeping to concierge. The location was great. Right at Gendarmenmarkt square. Walking distance to Brandenberg Gate, Checkpoint Charlie & Museum Island. Great restaurants nearby too. Only drawback was the closest Ubahn station only went one way due to construction. Berlin is busy rebuilding and reinventing itself so that is sure to change soon. We would live at this hotel if we could. Wish we had brought dressy clothes so we could enjoy the 2 Michelin stars restaurant

• Stayed October 2013
RegentBerlin, Manager at Regent Berlin, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
Dear Susan K,

thank you very much for your recent review here on TripAdvisor on the occasion of your stay with us. We are glad that we did meet your expectations to the fullest and also as part of a great offer.

It´s always worth it to check our website for a special offer or even better to call our reservation departments for that exclusive, complete and luxury reservations handling. Do it again next time and keep coming back.

With best regards,

Your team of the Regent Berlin

Been to Regent Berlin? Share your experiences!