“Fresh but ...” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi
Austin, Texas
“Fresh but ...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2011

I have been intrigued by this place for a year or more as I walk by it regularly, and finally decided to try it out. The atmosphere is nothing special, though it is nicer from the inside than it looks from the outside. The menu is also a bit of a problem. As noted in an earlier review, there are a large number of "menu combinations", but the elements do not really compliment each other very well. I strongly recommend that you put together your own selection (at very little premium) or go somewhere else to learn about sushi.

The other problem I found was that the "default" assumption is that you do not like spice. Aa all. !! There was the tiniest dab of wasabi on my combination plate (yes ... I started there) that was woefully insufficient for the six rolls and four pieces of Nigiri. Fortunately, I was alone in the restaurant and after a conversation with the Vietnamese chef, I was abe to get an off-menu selection that was a little better. Even then, though, the waitress assured me that it was "Deutsch-scharf" not "Asiatisch-scharf". And she was right ... it barely hit the "spice-meter", but did at least add some additional flavor.

The service was excellent, and I suspect that after a repeat visit or two I can get the level of spicy flavor I expect. The basic sushi was fresh and flavorful, and he prices are quite reasonable, so this is definitely on my "visit again" list.

• Visited October 2011