“That was fun! Better than Facil; CASH only!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Cafe Jacques

Cafe Jacques
Maybachufer 14, 12047 Berlin, Germany (Neukölln)
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #341 of 5,646 restaurants in Berlin
Good for: Romance, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: Neukölln
Chicago, Illinois
“That was fun! Better than Facil; CASH only!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

Taxied to Cafe Jacques based on the trip advisor buzz. When we got out of the cab, we thought about hailing another one; the facade of the Cafe is nothiing to write home about and the neighborhood seemed a bit iffy. But there were all sorts of "awards" posted on the door and what the heck, we decided to go in. There are two rooms in the place and the one you want to eat in is the one in the front by the window. I would specify this when you make your reservations, this room was candle lit and hopping with a nice view into the street; the back room where we were initally seated, was nothing to write home about. But the food!! that was something to write home about....We started with a salad, we were going to order two but they told us one was sufficient. A nice touch. Very fresh greens, right out of someone's garden. I had a phenomenal beef filet, still thinking about it! Menu is in German, no tourists, the neighborhood turned out to be fine. HIghly recommended, very relaxed, and dollar for dollar, dinner vs. dinner, this was better and way more fun than Facil.

Visited September 2012

85% Recommend
Melbourne, Australia
“Reasonably priced tasty food in a great setting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I were taken here by some friends who live in Berlin and we had such a good time. The atmosphere was perfect, we sat outside next to the canal (you will need to book most nights), and the plac was buzzing, no doubt helped by the owner who was full of personality and keen to chat with customers.

The food was quite cheap and tasty with the seafood platters being a highlight.

The wine list was food and the waitress was quite knowledgeable when it came to recommending the perfect drop.

Will definitely return.

London, United Kingdom
“Excellent food, bustling, good service but difficult if you're not a german speaker”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

Have eaten here a couple of times and the food is always excellent. The staff are happy to recommend wines for your food selection and the menu changes daily. If however you do not speak german you may struggle as the daily menu is written up on a chalk board with no printed or English copies.
A bit pricey for berlin but also unusually good service. Beautiful canal view on quiet road

• Visited August 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
“Cafe Jacques in Berlin, Germany”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

For our last evening in Berlin, we couldn't have picked a better place. At an outside table, we shared a carafe of house wine. The tagliatelle with salmon in lobster sauce was particularly good. My fellow traveler had beet stuffed ravioli, which he enjoyed immensely. For dessert, lavender mousse (I'm searching for a recipe for this). The menu is printed on a chalkboard inside, and the staff was very helpful translating. (How embarrassing--everyone in Berlin that we talked to spoke excellent English, unlike our German). It is in a hip neighborhood, easy to find on the U-bahn, and it was fun watching the passing parade. Casual dress is fine.

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
London, United Kingdom
“Romance romance”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

My partner and I ate here at the recommendation of his Lonely Planet guide and it was great!

For 56 bucks we shared a lovely cheese plate to start (with amazingly fresh warm bread), I had the tomato raviolo with a lovely cheese sauce and fresh side salad and he had what he claimed was an amazing steak with potatos and a red wine sauce. Chocolate mousses for dessert--delicious! I drank a reasonable white wine and he drank a weiss beer.

A couple of things I think are worth mentioning:
1) The staff speak english and are more than happy to translate the menu for you (it's a black board on the wall)
2) I am a vegetarian and there was only one veggie main course so I ordered that and was not disappointed. I really don't mind there being only one option so long as it is good. I just remember the lovely sweet tomato filling balances by a cheese sauce with the perfect amount of mustard in.
3) Fantastic atmosphere--candle lit romance romance, or al fresco joy by the kreuzberg canal if the weather is good.

The only criticism I would make is that the cheese plate was quite 'fridge-fresh' and could have done with a little time to adjust to room temp. Other than that, a really enjoyable evening which was excellent value for money.

• Visited June 2012