“Berlin cool” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #67 of 665 Hotels in Berlin
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Berlin cool”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2014

Stayed for a long weekend with some friends and we weren't disappointed. The suite was huge and beautifully decorated and the kitchenette was stocked with some fun and quirky snacks and the bathrooms were lined with beautiful Cowshed products. The room-service was delicious and the staff happily agreed to any demands such as personalised birthday cakes and cookies. The restaurant/bar and rooftop terrace were heaving with Berlin's gorgeous people and provided a bit of an oasis to the buzzy city. The spa was wonderful and I had an amazing massage. The concierge were extremely helpful and suggested fun restaurants and bars. Wouldn't stay anywhere else in Berlin.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2014

Being members of the Soho House group, we decided to stay here for our weekend in Berlin. I had never been to the city before, and it turned out to be the perfect place to stay, as the location and hotel are both great. The staff on reception were super friendly and helpful with planning our days and nights out, and one of the girls even helped me to relocate my camera when I had stupidly left it in the back of the cab. Her name was Julianna, she was particularly great! Our suite was large and luxurious, with an amazingly comfy bed, walk in shower and beautiful standing bath tub. The restaurant of the hotel was good, the food is pleasant but nothing incredible (same as all the Soho Houses) but the view from the roof is wonderful. We had a fantastic time and can't wait to come back here and stay again! Thank you.

Room Tip: I would suggest getting a room on a higher floor, as the view is fab! We were on the 4th floor and i...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Amsterdam
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2014

Loved our 13-day stay! We really felt home from the moment we arrived till departure. Loved our comfortable spacious room, the complete staff, all facilities, great location and most of all the pool area! Will defenitely come back!

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2014

Wasn't so keen on coming here as we like to experience local food on city trips. The bar/Restaurant on the roof is quite a scene. The view is beautiful. The food and service just average. Fun night out but next time I wouldn't use a dinner on a non local menu

Stayed June 2014
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2014

Just the right mix of retro cool, history, urban chic and properly well run hotel. The former Stasi secret police HQ is now a fabulous hotel. Rooms are gorgeous, we used a meeting room which was nicely run and serviced for drinks, but no snacks which was strange I thought,anyway helps the waist line but we did take lunch on the roof and the sun shone so I didn't care. It's a wonderful place to stay and just a short walk to Alexanderplatz. They have just opened Europe's biggest TK Maxx there.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2014 via mobile

This place is fabulous. Everything about it.
The calm, understated yet grand (how is that possible?) welcoming. The way they make you feel right at home. The way the get the little things right (like offer you a cold bottle of water even before they ask for you booking info).
The building itself is spectacular and makes you realise the communists were actually not devoid of style (or is it drama?).
The hallways are wide and exquisite; you almost want to hang out in them, stay awhile, immerse.
But then you enter your room and really now you've arrived. The music is on - not too loud - the bar is set up with ice already waiting for you and everything is in place - inviting bed, plush robes, well stocked bathroom - the works (granted I'm in a studio; I suspect the smaller rooms are less impressive)
And finally, room service was friendly and proactive, suggesting I add some chicken to my salad if I was really hungry. The food was here in 15 mins and was absolutely delicious (and for a reasonable amount of money I might add).
All in all, a wonderful place. I'll be back.

Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2014

This place is great! My girlfriend and I stayed here for my 30th birthday this month and had a really relaxing stay. The hotel foyer is very impressive and on arrival we were greeted by a very friendly member of staff who gave us both a bottle of water, checked our bags in (as rooms are not usually avail until 3) and arranged for us to hire bikes from the hotel to go out and explore Berlin for the day.

When we got back to the hotel we went to our "small room", which was, you guessed it, small, but perfect for what we needed and very nicely decorated. They leave the radio playing classical music in your room which added to the atmosphere! The bathroom was packed with everything you could possibly need, including cowshed toiletries which were amazing. The best part is the monsoon shower which was big enough for 4 people! The bed was really comfy and we settled in as if we were at home very quickly! This isn't something I can often say about staying in a hotel! I liked that the coffee in the room was freshly ground and you also get fresh cookies in a silver container each day, it turned into a daily routine of having a nice coffee and a cookie in the afternoon! There is also a fresh bottle of water left by the bed for you when you get in each night. Good hangover cure : )

The communal areas of the hotel itself have a very decadent feel and it's a mixture of industrial design and vintage Hollywood, which really works! We spent a lot of time and money in the club bar and roof terrace on the 7th and 8th floor which is again flawlessly decorated and furnished. You feel very special being in such an environment.

When we got to the bar we were ready for some amazing cocktails and the barman couldn't do enough for us to make sure we got our drinks exactly how we wanted them.. Something which is unusual and it was clear he was passionate about mixology rather than just seeing it as a job. I thoroughly recommend the strawberry smash! Many were drunk. Forget about the cost, you are on holiday! On the whole the staff were really approachable and friendly so ignore the reviews saying they are anything but.

The roof terrace and pool area had amazing views and again we spent a lot of time up there when we were in the hotel, great views and a really cool and relaxed environment. I get what people say about the too cool for school vibe from the other guests and club members. There is an air of this, but I don't think that's ever going to change and I can take the air of exclusivity with a pinch of salt as it is a lovely place to be! Blankets available for ladies if you get cold in the evening.

I had a spa treatment on the morning of my birthday and the spa area didn't disappoint the treatment was great and couldn't fault the staff who looked after me. The steam room and sauna were really nice also and I liked that the spa had several individual bathrooms to change in with a huge monsoon shower in each one... It was amazing! Now with everything there are flaws and room for improvement. Every superhero has their weakness!

The food

The hotel itself and amenities are great, but the food doesn't match the standard of the hotel. Breakfast is very good. However, the menu remains the same 24/7 and is very unadventurous to say the least. It's perfectly fine if all you want is a munch, but if you want a nice meal (which we did) go out into the city. Lulled into a false sense of security we ate in the restaurant on the night of my 30th, on the roof terrace of course : ) however the chap who served us "pressed the wrong button" and our starters and mains arrived at the same time for all four of us. We didn't mind as we assumed our meals would be prepared freshly again owing to the hotel standard and it being their error.

I had the club steak and the others had Cesar salads. Our starters were great and we were finished in 20 mins. The same chap then proceeded to bring back our meals and said to me if there was any problem with my steak let me know...alarm bells! I touched my steak and it was barely warm. I sent it back and felt really let down that owing to his error he was trying to palm off cold food to me! On my 30th birthday of all days. Sadly the salads were also soggy so I asked to speak to the manager and initially spoke with the front of house lady who didn't seem to appreciate our concern and simply said a new steak was on it's way without apologising. I would have apologised and made it my Missin to resolve and so I expect that standard.

The fact that my meal was being re-cooked was great and all, but everyone else was tucking into their dinners! I repeated my request to speak with the restaurant manager and he arrived and I explained my concerns a) the waiter thought it was appropriate to give me cold food and b) my other guests were simply eating their soggy salads because they were hungry. He initially offered to take the steak off the bill and given their food was ruined I asked for their meals to be removed also, which, rightly so, they were. Dinner / birthday meal ruined. We all felt that up until having to relay everything to the manager, the staff didn't quite understand our concerns. If you have a complaint I while staying here I would suggest you persist until it's dealt with as there seemed to be an attitude of haste towards addressing our concerns.

We shouldn't have been put in that position, especially when the standards the hotel aspire to are very high indeed. It left a sour taste to our experience, but our complaint was dealt with properly eventually. In short, the restaurant is fine for breakfast and lunch and if you want a basic dinner it's also fine.

Room cost

My dad and his other half joined us at the Haus a day after us and in true Sod's law fashion he had paid less, got breakfast included and had a ginormous room. We weren't pleased given we had booked direct with the hotel and earlier for 20 euros more a night. We didn't mind our room but felt bit let down that we didn't get breakfast included as when we booked on the hotel site it said that it was included. My gf asked to discuss the inclusion of breakfast with the reservations team before we arrived and she was bluntly advised by email that she could cancel if she wanted ... Duh, not the point! You can see a theme of missing the point with concerns!

Anyway we eventually got to speak with the manager on checking out and he acknowledged we didn't get the best deal, he took our breakfasts off the bill, which was nice. We understand that hotels need to sell rooms but booking though a 3rd party site shouldn't have been so advantageous. In short, book through Mr & Mrs Smith as it would seem they offer a better package.

Conclusion

Grumbles aside this place is amazing and has an atmosphere and vibe that is unrivaled. Overall, it was the best place I have stayed for a very long time and in the most you will be made to feel like a rock star. It's not cheap, but you do really get what you pay for. We had a really great time at the Haus and I would send my friends and family here. That said, in my experience, the food and service in the restaurant sadly lets this place down and that's a shame really. If the chain are passionate about food excellence, they should think about an overhaul of their approach. If the food was up to standard this place would be mind-blowingly good. My tips...

1. Shop around for your room price/package;

2. Take the too cool for school vibe with a pinch of salt;

3. Get up to the roof terrace and enjoy many cocktails;

4. Eat out in the evenings as this city has some seriously good restaurants. We ate at Centrolire, Italian and it was worth every penny! The contrast on standard and service was stark!;

5. If you have a complaint, persist because this hotel markets itself as having unrivaled standards. If these standards are not met let the right people know, it's their vocation to make sure any wrongs are put right;

Hope this review helps and if you are thinking about staying here... DO IT NOW!!

Stayed August 2014

Been to Soho House Berlin? Share your experiences!