“Soho House Berlin is fab” 5 of 5 stars

Soho House Berlin
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Torstrasse 1, 10119 Berlin, Germany (Prenzlauer Berg)   |
Ranked #67 of 665 Hotels in Berlin
London, United Kingdom
“Soho House Berlin is fab”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Excellent stay. Attentive staff. It was a special occasion and they organised a delicious huge chocolate cake for our arrival and a really good table in the restaurant. Loved the record player in the hotel room supplied with records! It is such a lovely hotel you can be tied as to whether go out and enjoy the delights of Berlin or stay cocooned in the comforts of the hotel. Definitely would love to aim for a visit in the summer to make use of the pool/bar on the roof.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

We spent 2 nights here at the start of April and was everything you would expect and more from an establishment owned by Nick Jones (CEO of Soho House).

Cool lobby as you walk in with a graffiti of shark by Damien Hirst as you walk in on your left with comfortable chairs and trendy lighting.

We stayed in a small room which by European standards were very large. Lovely decoration on the rooms with beautiful soft furnishes. The bathroom had a heated floor and mirror and was full of cowshed products for you to use.

We had room service for breakfast which was great value for money. 2 x fresh coffee and toast about 10€.

The cool restaurant and bar cooks lovely food and is reasonably priced for all budgets.

Great place to stay and would stay again.

Room Tip: We booked a small room but were suprised how large it was. This was about 3 times the siza of what a...
London, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

I am an under-27 member of the Soho House group. I have stayed in Babington House, Dean Street, and Shoreditch House, and thoroughly adored my stay in these places, and so when I got booked to DJ at Watergate in Berlin, I opted for a room at the Soho House. I have friends who have stayed in much larger rooms and loved them, but when I stay in Berlin, I end up going out a lot and not spending so much time in the room. So I opted for a 'tiny' room, and hey, at least they call it what it is!

The building itself is impressive, beautiful interior design. However, Soho House policy enforces a "no-photographs" rule, you are strictly not allowed to take photographs in the lobby or anywhere in the hotel, save from your room. The tiny room is TINY. But it had a beautiful, massive, fluffy bed with an abundance of pillows (I slept like a rock), a gorgeous bathroom stocked with all the good amenities and full-size cowshed products. The rooms also come with a wireless JAWBONE Jambox soundsystem, which I loved so much that I bought one as soon as I was back in London.

Now, non-members can stay at this hotel as well as members. I am a member of Everyhouse, and this is the first Soho House club at which I have encountered rudeness. I found the reception desk staff to have a huge attitude problem. They were cold, judgemental, and unprofessional. At every small request they behaved like they were being massively inconvenienced. For example, I came down to reception to order a taxi, then asked if I could order a bottle of water to take with me. They said that the only place that was available was the rooftop bar. I then said that I was going to go there... the woman at reception BARKED at me "But you have to be a member to go there!". Well, I am a member, and she could have been more polite about assuming that I am not. Bad, bad service. I've stayed at Babington House which is a greater property than Soho House Berin, and the staff there treat everyone as welcomed guests.

The room service is definitely something that needs to be improved here. There was an appetizer with 'bacon', and when it arrived, it was not bacon, but a 3-inch thick greasy slab of fat. I am a woman who loves pork, but this was too much. I had it sent back and informed them that they need to make the menu translations more accurate, and the lady I spoke to on the room service phone line agreed that this menu item is ridiculous and needed to be taken off.

The member's rooftop bar was the nicest part about the hotel (Sorry to non-members!), the staff at the bar were just amazing, the views breathtaking, and they even let me hammer out a bit of Bach on their gorgeous grand piano. The food in the restaurant is great, and the cocktails too. I had to have a meeting with some Berlin fashion designers here, and the staff were very accommodating, giving me a big table with sofas for which to lay out selections of clothes and jewellry. Very lovely.

I have put a complaint in with some people that I know from Soho House group, it's a lovely hotel, with a lovely spa, and it's a terrible shame about the service. I will stay at Soho House again (on account of the comfortable beds, spa, and rooftop restaurant) when I visit Berlin again to see if they have improved on the customer service at all. If not, I will go back to staying at Lux 11 as I really love that hotel, and the service is fabulous.

Other tips I have for Berlin: Watergate and Panorama bar for nightlife, Schneeweiss for Schnitzel, and the Hofbrau House, 3 minutes walk from Soho House, is a good beer-soaked laugh.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013 via mobile

Amazing room! Got upgraded to a Large Room (from Medium) on check-in. It was fabulous. Massive shower, amazing products, comfortable bed - generally very cool. It was half the price of the tiny room we had just left in Paris! Staff were friendly throughout our stay. We chilled all afternoon on Sunday at the lounge area - lunch, wine reading newspapers (a few too many children but they soon disappeared around lunch).

• Stayed January 2013
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

This is a private members club where the guests become temporary members and gain access to the facilities. The building is very cool with an interesting past. The gym has all the resistance and cardio equipment one would need (I hate hotels with a gym full of treadmills) The rooms are very cosy and the shower and bath are awesome! room service is very reasonable considering it is 5 star. I would definitely return

West Hollywood, California, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

Soho House is an amazing brand with incredible locations around the world. The Berlin outpost is beautiful and has the same feel as the other clubs in London, New York, Toronto, Los Angeles, etc., but the service and friendliness leaves a lot to be desired. Might be the way they have two front desks which gives you a sense of confusion upon arrival. (One is for the private club and one is for the front desk - but if you haven't been there before, you have no signs or personnel to guide you to the right desk). And the, uh, less than friendly looks from the staff behind the desks don't help. Easy to fix. Either redesign with one desk -- or have a friendly staff member present to guide guests to the proper desk. Rooms are beautiful with a vintage feel. But front door handles falling off and showers with doors that don't stay closed are typical of the minor annoyances we experienced. And speaking of annoying, the trendy light switches are beyond annoying. Hard to explain - you just have to experience the cute but ineffective knobs.

Aside from that the "everything is for sale feel of Soho House" is kinda cheesy (the shopping bag hanging in the closet? 5 Euro. One of the TEN (yes ten!!!) shower soap bottles can be yours for take away for 18 Euro.

And the whole "everyone is equal" feel at the other Soho House properties was nowhere in sight. One of the two elevators on our side of the building was commandeered frequently for George Clooney and his four man Secret Service style security team. Really?

And the spa? Well, having your masseuse show up a half hour late due to "traffic" is never a good start.

Overall I'd rate this a "near miss" in terms of Soho House quality. But if the annoying problems and stand-offish staff are tweaked, this could be a great place to stay in the future.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

We loved soho house Berlin, we stayed at the hotel for 2 nights, staff is very friendly and so cool! The room was very big, we enjoyed the rainforest shower, the cowshed products, all the complementary stuff in a room! The Spa is very nice too! The feast on Sunday morning is a must do! The lounge on the 7 floor was very cool and trendy, the food was nice, and not overpriced!!!cherry on the top Mr Georges Clooney was there! Amazing week end! Soho House is definitely the place to go in Berlin!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Soho House Berlin? Share your experiences!