“Great food- easy to over order though!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Transit Restaurant

Transit Restaurant
Rosenthaler Strasse 68 | 10119, Berlin, Germany (Mitte)
030 247 816 45
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #87 of 5,649 restaurants in Berlin
Cuisines: Indonesian
Good for: Special occasions, Entertaining clients, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night, Dessert
Neighborhood: Mitte
“Great food- easy to over order though!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

Us vegetarians are sometimes an after thought but at Transit any dish can be substituted for tofu which is a really nice touch!

The food is incredibly fresh (you just try to the papaya salad) and it all works so well.

The one thing I will say is that it is easy to over order and I would suggest 2 dishes and a rice/noodles per person with maybe a dish to share? Although very cheap dishes our bill ended up being quite high because we ordered so much!

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

87% Recommend
Toftlund, Denmark
“A let down..”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

Dinning out in Berlin is always an experience.. a good experience. Sometimes one does hit a bump along the way. After reading a lot of positive reviews here, I jotted down a must to visit during my trip.

So we ended up at Transit for lunch. First of all there was only one guest present. But we still made our way in. We were greeted by a waitress who escorted us to our table. With both the front and the back doors open, we sat in a good draft. Anyway, the positive plus for us were that the candles were lit however, flickering wildly due to the draft.

The menu looked fantastic and we ordered CRISPY PRAWNS with avocado dip which sounded delicious, but it turned out to be absolutely bland.. CRISPY POCKETS: crunchy roll filled with chopped chicken and vegetable, spicy lime sauce and again it was so-so. BATHING BEAUTY: homemade fresh steamed rice dough with chicken was again bland. CHICKEN LITTLE: crispy fried chicken with pineapple and water chestnuts in tamarind sauce, consisted of 1 piece of water chestnut and 1 piece pineapple, so I had to relish my 1 water chestnut, thank heavens that my partner didn't want to share it with me ;-) and finally, HARVEST GOLD; well spiced yellow curry with sweet potatoes and chicken was the only dish that actually tasted of something and it was good! (why didn't we order that in the large version!!)

I am not impressed with Transit, however, what really got to me, was not the slow service, the lack of proper chilli sauce in vinegar, the disappearing act of our waitress (we never saw after she served us our dishes) it was the state of the restaurant. Making my way to their ladies room and passing by the kitchen, the floor was sticky, dirty and the stairs leading back to the restaurant was dusty and dirty. Forget that the paint is pealing off their walls... just the hygienic standard around the kitchen was enough to put me off completely.

So I hope that the Transit crew will give it a good spring cleaning.. even though it is summer time and get some spice into their food. It looked appealing but was a let down.. :-(

The reason I give it a double $$ value, is because by the time one has ordered the different 3€ dishes, the bill actually comes up to a good price.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Gateshead, United Kingdom
“Tasty and good value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

Lovely waitress found us a table when the place looked full. Happy atmosphere, quick service and all the family enjoyed it.

Visited May 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Hip place, great food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

Yes, I know, Asian food in Berlin... but consider that Berlin is a thriving and diverse cosmopolitan city and you realise that you might find a gem of any ethnic food restaurant in this city, among which we count this one! From the outside it looks nondescript but inside the place is a buzz with packed tables, diverse clientele, hip servers and yummy smells. Go for the small plates, that's what they do best. For two people we ordered 7 small plates, one order of noodles and one order of rice. It was actually too much food but what the heck, small plates are 3 euros each and come out of the kitchen fast so if you don't like one order another and if you are still hungry just keep ordering! Along with two beers and one glass of wine our dinner for two came to 40 euros... you can't beat that!

Definitely make reservations and don't be late! We were a half hour late because we misjudged rush hour and luckily they still had out seat but it just meant we had less time as we were told before hand that we only had the table for an hour and a half.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Warrington
“VERY busy, Great Asian food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

I booked a table earlier in the day when the restaurant was empty. When we arrived we were squashed onto a table that was only 4 inches from the ones either side. Service was very swift, as was the foods arrival but I can't say it was a really relaxing meal. It all seemed loud, fast and cramped.

The food itself was great, we had 5 dishes and 2 rice between two of us and it was plentiful. We only managed 2 quick drinks before the end of the meal so the total bill was €29

It's definately worth a visit but only if you like hustle and bustle.

Visited May 2013