“Great staff, great locations, BAD bathroom design.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Scandic Berlin Potsdamer Platz

You added Scandic Berlin Potsdamer Platz to your Saves list
Scandic Berlin Potsdamer Platz
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Gabriele-Tergit-Promenade 19, 10963 Berlin, Germany (Charlottenburg)   |
Ranked #52 of 665 Hotels in Berlin
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersGold level
Luton, United Kingdom
“Great staff, great locations, BAD bathroom design.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2010

Hotel was fantastic - brilliant location, staff were helpful and always available, rooms were clean and bright. Bathrooms however were badly designed. The doors were see through glass which slid open and closed. I was travelling with friends - to ensure we weren't seen by each other using the toilet or shower - we had to have the bathroom lights off and the bedroom lights on. Perhaps we are prudish Brits but there are just some things friends dont even want to do in front of each other. Other than that - great!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Israel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2010

Overall we were happy with the hotel. The check in and check out were very rapid. Service of the hotel personnel was good. Breakfast was great with lots of selection. The room was spacious and designed in a very modern style.
However, there were several drawbacks to the design:
1. The bathroom/toilet was closed with a sliding door. This door was semi-transparent which made it unpleasant to use to toilet with other people present in the room. In addition, when going into the toilet at night, the light penetrated the glass and could wake up other people in the room.
2. The bathroom sink had no shelves or surfaces next to it. So it was impossible to place toothbrushes or towels or anything else close to it.
3. Only soap was provided (no shampoo or body lotion or anything else). In addition, it was almost impossible to extract the soap from it's container.
4. The design of the bathroom was very pretty but there was no separation on the floor between the shower and the rest of the bath. That caused all the water from the shower to spill into the room and wet the whole floor.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Various
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2010

I guess there was something forgotten when the hotel became built - in trems of aircon or ventilation. The hotel is full of dust.

Checked in couple nights ago for a biz conference attendance. Following morning started to have sniffles, and supprisingly I found out that many colleques at conf reported the same. Flu wawe finally entering Berlin, many concluded. But, then my eyes started reacting and got some respiratory symptoms...

I started looking around. The night table in my room (see picts) that I cleaned an hour ago was all over covered with white dust. The room was full of dust, also the corridors!

I talked with a mgr on duty in the reception, and the answer was very polite: we'll have the tech coming to work tomorrow morning, and check what's going on! BS. If there is an issue with dust distributed to room thru ventilation - and that has been going on for several nights, that can not be a suppries for the mgmt.

A hotel I'll never visit again.

Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2010

We have become great fans of the Scandic Hotel chain. We first found them when they were a part of the Hilton family and we had some really good reward stays. We were so happy with the chain that we went out of our way to stay there on several trips to Sweden. We were really looking forward to our stay at the brand new Scandic in Berlin.

It is really easy to get there by public transportation. The U-bahn literally goes through the hotel building and the station is steps away. We never noticed any noise or vibration from the trains. Our room was ready when we arrived at 11 from the airport. Check-in was quick and easy and the desk clerk explained breakfast and how to use the key cards. It was a good thing that she did because there was absolutely no written information in the room.

At first glance the room was fine. We had a small sofa that might have pulled out to accommodate a third person and our room overlooked a small park. The bathroom was a different story. The sliding glass door to it was one way glass. Depending upon the lighting in and out of the bathroom, the occupant either had a mirror and was fully visible to those outside the room or could see out and no one could see in. It was not an issue for us but could have been for others. There was also a green glass window that allowed light from the bathroom to shine into the sleeping area. This was fine in the day time but lit up the bedroom when it was dark. It could be a real problem if you are light sensitive. Using the bathroom was not much better. The soap dispensers, great for the environment, were very difficult to use. I do not know if this was a design flaw or that they were nearly empty. The water pressure in the shower was pitiful and, in fact, there seemed to be a better flow in the sink.

Things did not improve when we went to leave the room. The safe was locked and there were no instructions on how to use it. There was no Do Not Disturb sign to put on our door. And when we actually went out the room door, it did not shut automatically or completely. We always had to stop and pull the door shut.

We had a nice buffet dinner in the restaurant for 18 Euros. There was a wide variety of food with something for every taste. The desserts were especially fun since there were tiny portions of lots of different things.

The Scandic breakfast is one of the high points of the hotel. "Breakfast is always included" is boldly printed on their website. Between the time we reserved the room and our stay, there is now an asterisk by it that says hotels in Germany are not included. It was included for us based on the date of our reservation but others were paying 20 Euro for it. That was a lot of money for the breakfast. It was extensive but not well labeled. The breakfast room was quite busy but tables were quickly cleaned.

There was one other memorable thing about our stay. Every time we walked out of room, we were surrounded by the annoying sound of chirping birds. I wish they had spent that money for more practical things that would have made our stay more comfortable.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Moscow, Russia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2010

We came to hotel very early, about 10am. This was my first time I didn't get a room instantly. Mainly because of many old people came to some Daimler conference. And for the whole week there were many conferences.
Ok, what are + of this hotel:
great location. U-bahn is in one minute walk.
very nice neighborhood — I like new building and architecture in overall.
Great view from the room and the room itself.
Breakfast.

Now, about "-":

First of all no one on reception told me that they'll hold money on account. It isn't a common practice. I was first time to Germany and, in my opinion, managers should told about that fact to each guest! Also, no one provided me information about breakfast time and where is the restaurant, until I asked by myself. It's not a 2* hotel, so it shouldn't be me to ask questions where is the restaurant.

Second, on the website there's information about gym. But no information that it isn't open yet!

Third, last day in Berlin I had VERY uncomfortable situation in restaurant where I was trying to pay my bill with my credit card. I couldn't do that because I didn't had enough money. So I was forced to call to my bank after 10 minutes chat I realized, that Scandic Hotel hold much more money than should.
Luckily we had another card and I paid by it. But, I had very unpleased time when I tried to pay by my card. Imagine if I was alone. In restaurant with no money...

When we came to hotel and I told to reception manager about it, the only phrase I heard was "Sorry". That definitely was not enough. Charging for for over 50% of a real bill and what I heard was a "Sorry". I didn't have time to argue, because next early morning I had a plane back to Moscow. The only question I asked to manager was "What time breakfast starts tomorrow?" (it should be saturday) "6:30" — I heard. Ok, I love Scandic breakfasts.
But in the morning, 6:30 we realized, that on Saturday and Sunday breakfast starts in 7:00! We had a taxi in 6:45. If we knew about timetable earlier we definatly had asked to pack a snack for us.

In overall. Great hotel, great location. Bad service. And it ruined our holidays. Totally.

Also, 5 days ago I sent a complaint email to the hotel. But I'm still waiting for answer.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Copenhagen
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2010

We stayed at the Scandic Berlin Potsdamer Platz during a weekend. The hotel is located 10-15 minutes walk from the Bahnhof Potsdamer Platz. It was quite obvious that the front desk staff was recently hired, a bit unsurtain of procedures upon check in, though we were greeted with a very warm and friendly smile by a dark haired guy - speaking good English (not very common in Germany)! Our superior room, filled with dust bunnies, faced the Potzdamer Platz, i.o.w. facing the BVG and Pfizer building. We were told that the only thing differentiating a superior room from a normal room is the "beautiful view" and also that there were beverages inside the mini bar in the superior room. We would recommend a normal room. Use the money you save on a visit to a Blockhouse restaurant or a visit to KaDeWe. Surprisingly, the Scandic hotel restaurant was too expensive, which is not the case in Sweden or Denmark. The Thai waiter in the restaurant was extremely service minded though! His colleagues not so much. While the Thai waiter was really busy other guests had to find a table themselves and it then took ages before another German waiter found the guests and there was no shortage of waiters. The superior room had extremely poor sound isolation! We heard intoxicated guests in the corridor at 3 AM and other disturbing sounds. This is really annoying when you just want to get a good nights sleep yourself! When calling the front desk a lady promised to look into the possibility of giving us another room and she promised to get back to us. After quite some time we went down to the front desk as no call had been received. The short blond German lady said: "Oh, it was me....I forgot you...sorry, I shall see..." and she looked very bothered. I asked if we still could have the "beautiful view" and if not, if we perhaps could pay for an upgrade to a larger room at the very end of the corridor? An upgrade was probably not possible to make according to the lady. The lady informed us that she would go and speak to her “boss" and away she went. Very surprised we remained in the lobby by the front desk to see which solution the hotel could offer us. When the lady came back she looked even more bothered and informed us that the hotel could offer us another room. I asked again regarding the upgrade, if this could not be made in any way? The lady got really ill-tempered and shouted: "AS I TOLD YOU - NO" and snorted at me!! It ended up with us getting a room key card and going up to the room. In the hallway we could see that the room was just next to an elevator (very noisy). We went down to the front desk again and I asked another lady at the front desk to see the front desk manager. "Why??" she replied. Because now I have a complaint I said. At the end of a long discussion, the front desk manager managed to get us another superior room, also filled with dust bunnies, and she blamed the language barrier when I told her about the blond little lady that snorted at me!! This was no language barrier, this was a bad example of a lady that should not work within the service industry!! Fortunate enough the hotel had other very service minded young people at the front desk. Another thing we noticed the following morning was the terrible noise in the breakfast lounge!! This was killing us in the morning. Not very pleasant! This is really something the hotel needs to do something about! All in all, I think we will chose another hotel next time we visit the beautiful city of Berlin, a hotel with a better sound proofing in the rooms, a less noisy breakfast lounge and perhaps not so many "language barriers". Sorry Scandic – det er ikke godt nok!!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
scandicberlin, Verkaufsleiter at Scandic Berlin Potsdamer Platz, responded to this review, July 18, 2011
Thank you very much for your rating at Tripadvisor and your time giving us all the information. We are pleased to have statements like this. Only when we have critics like this we can work on our service continuously.
Since your stay at our hotel, a lot has changed. We have employed more colleagues and they steadily get trained.
We are very sorry about the service in the bar and especially at the reception. This is definitely not our target. Therefore we do use this information to improve the service.
For breakfast we offer our guests more than 100 products, most of them are eco-goods. We also buy our products mostly from producers within the Berlin-Brandenburg region. We as well offer lactose-free and gluten-free products for guests with intolerance.

Been to Scandic Berlin Potsdamer Platz? Share your experiences!