“Rooftop Terrace makes this place unmissable.” 4 of 5 stars

Comebackpackers
Adalbertstrasse 97, 10999 Berlin, Germany (Kreuzberg)   |
Ranked #32 of 336 Specialty Lodging in Berlin
Melbourne
“Rooftop Terrace makes this place unmissable.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

I spent a week here and really enjoyed it. The out door rooftop space is great for meeting people in the evening and theres always allot happening below to stare at and let the hours drift away. Kotbusser Tor metro station is a 2 minute walk away. Theres also a supermarket 100 meters around the corner, although its cheaper to eat the 3 euro kebabs on offer from the 10 or so stores within a stones throw. The staff are all amazing, some of the best I have ever met. Thanks for opening the rooftop at 7am so we could continue to party when we got back! My only jive is that the blinds in the rooms are pretty much useless. makes it hard to sleep during the day, but i got use to it. I'd recommend this place for groups of friends or solo travellers. Ive stayed in allot of hostels and this is one of the best.

Room Tip: 16 bed dorm for the cheaper option, or 6 for a euro or two more a night.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for 4 nights in June 2013.

The location is good as it is less than a 5 minute walk to the nearest metro line and Berlin metro is very easy to navigate around. There are a number of cheap restaurants around and a few supermarkets to buy food from.

The hostel has a living area by reception with a table football, a number of sofas and plugs and an outdoor roof terrace to relax on.

The kitchen area includes a gas hob and lots of kitchen equipment including saucepans, cutlery, plates, and a fridge etc.

I stayed in a 16 bed dorm. There were 8 bunk beds with a chair at the end of the beds and enough plug sockets around the room. You can pay a deposit for a locker. These are not big lockers and I couldn't fit my bag in them but it was big enough for all valuables. Bed linen was provided in the cost.

The wi-fi was excellent and could access it from the rooms.

There was one toilet exclusive for women and one toilet exclusively for men. There was also at least two other mixed toilets that I noticed.

The shower were split into rooms for women and men. There were about 4/5 showers separated by a curtain. The showers were hot but you had to keep pressing the shower button as it was on a timer. There is plenty of room to get changed and leave your clothes without getting them wet.

Definitely one of the best hostels I have stayed in and the staff were very friendly.

• Stayed June 2013
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013 via mobile

I left comebackpackers just recently to sort of hop around a few suburbs and try to get a well rounded experience of berlin. Big mistake! I'm starting to learn that places like this are a rare find. I felt like it was my own personal living room. It's a great way to feel like a local staying in a place like this, rather than an outsider. The people that work there are lovely and I think I was also lucky with people staying there. Have met some great friends.

• Stayed May 2013
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

Originally, I booked five nights at Comebackpackers for April 2013. Upon arrival, however, I knew that I wanted to stay in Berlin much longer than originally planned. I ended up adding on three extra nights to my stay, and later, when I had a few extra days on my backpacking trip without any plans, I decided to return to Berlin (and Comebackpackers) for another four nights. The hostel itself is great for its location and its layout. It's at the epicenter of Kreuzberg, arguably the most interesting place to stay in Berlin. There are a million cheap restaurants (and the best place in Berlin for kebab, in my opinion) all within a five minute walk from the hostel. Same goes for bars and clubs, although a few of the clubs might be easier to get to by metro than walking (which is fine; most of the clubs aren't near any hostels anyway). Rose's is an awesome bar nearby; literally around the corner. The metro can literally be seen from your room, though you won't hear it or be bothered by it. There's a grocery store across the street, if you're more interested in cooking at the hostel. Cooking there is perfectly fine too; the kitchen always seemed to be available when I was there. The central area (along with the terrace) allows everyone staying there to come together for a few beers, with the staff joining in on occasion. Ultimately, however, it's the staff that make this hostel the pinnacle of my three-month-long backpacking trip. Paul (the owner) and the rest are very, very helpful and quick to assist with directions, coffee, etc. If you get to talking with them, they're very interesting people as well. Matthias (probably infamous at this point) is one of the best people I met on my trip. He usually works the night shift, but will stay up to chat about anything and everything. He learned early on (as did many) that I was crazy for Ritter Sport. The last night of my second stay in Berlin, he pulled out a few Ritter Sports for me to take back to the US from my travels. Really, really take the time to get to know the staff; they're honestly some of the coolest people I've met in a really long time. In short: this is the absolute best bang for your buck when it comes to booking a hostel not just in Berlin, but maybe in any major city of Europe.

Room Tip: Don't worry about staying in a 16-bed dorm. I was hesitant when booking the first time (as I had...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Leeds, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

CBP was so good! The decoration of the place is awesome, really clean, the roof terrace is a great thing to have too. Although it was snowing whilst we were there it was still nice to have. The staff are all really helpful and cool, they know a lot of things to do and gave us good advice about travelling to the abandon spots in Berlin. They provide free tea and coffee all the time, if its ran out, just tell them and they'll fix you up with a fresh brew. Cheap stay prices, cheap beer, foosball table, I really cant big it up any more. OH! Matti! Theres a guy there called Matti, hes so cool. Tall guy, shaved head and awesome tattoos, he was so friendly and helpful, he gave me and my friend some beers, and get this; I bought some records whilst I was in berlin and stupidly left them behind, I emailed CBP and Matti got back to me on the same day and said he'll send them to England free of charged and thank me and my friends for staying at CBP saying we were all 'a real pleasure, truly lovely.' Hopefully you too will enjoy CBP and fall in love with Matti and the place.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Vancouver
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

If you're just looking for some place to stay (e.g. just need a bed) and/or you're looking to meet new people, this is a good place to do both.

It's a very cheap hostel, but all the facilities are shared (showers, bathrooms are common rooms). No elevator means having to climb up 3 flights of stairs. Not a big deal, but worth mentioning. Close to a U-bahn station and within walking distance of various stores as well as a big outdoor market.

The common room is nice for meeting people - it's a very cosy environment to say the least.

The rooms are so-so. Really feels like a big dorm with lots of bunk beds. Reminds me of lots of others that I've stayed at before, except I'm not a big fan of big shared facilities anymore. Stayed for 2 nights and am glad it wasn't for longer. They were overbooked during my stay and had to move people around...I had to move rooms during the second night. Bit of a pain.

Oh, and don't forget to bring your own toilet paper...

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

comebackpackers is amazing!!! dont go anywhere else.
we stayed 7 days and loved every minute of it. we loved it so much we were torn between seeing berlin (best city in europe i would say) and just sitting in comebackpackers with the great people we met there on the wonderful terrace, looking down on kreuzberg.
its such a homely place, the kitchen is open 24/7 which is really important as you all come back froma night out together and can cook food when your hungry at 5am. big table to sit around and comfy sofas that really enhance socialising. the rooms were clean and spacious and there are lots of toilets! i never had to wait for a shower or for the toilet.

the staff were so friendly and through them and their suggestions we ended up having some of the best nights- their recommendations are great.

its in a great location, so close to the ubahn and sbahn and kreuzberg is one of the best places in berlin.

comebackpackers is amazing. when i go back to berlin i only want to stay there!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Comebackpackers? Share your experiences!