“So much fun!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Trabi-Safari Berlin Day Tours

Trabi-Safari Berlin Day Tours
Zimmerstrasse 97 | Ecke Wilhelmstraße (near Checkpoint Charlie), 10117 Berlin, Germany (Mitte)
30-30201030
Hereford, United Kingdom
73 attraction reviews
“So much fun!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

My husband and I are very into classic & vintage cars and ABSOLUTELY loved the 1-hour safari (we were on the East Side tour) but don't think it really matters which one you take as this is totally about driving the car and not about the sights you see. Don't do this tour for an in depth sightseeing excursion of the city, it only highlights a few icons along the route and the driver is likely to be focused on the road and not on what you're passing. Also, on our tour the guide over the radio was speaking in German, then following with English translation - can be difficult to understand at times. We had already done a walking tour of Berlin and seen many of the sights up close, so we were just able to enjoy the drive. All that being said, the cars are extremely simple to drive and the guide car is very good about stopping to wait if anyone gets stuck at the traffic lights. We had an absolute blast and would recommend it to anyone, so long as you don't expect the tour commentary to be in depth!

Akureyri, Iceland
“A must!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2013

What a great ride! A nice way to start your trip in Berlin and find out places you want to check out better. Loved driving the legendary Trabi and the guide was just priceless. If I ever come back I'll do it again!

Visited December 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Fun”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013 via mobile

We went on this trip yesterday and it was rainy day, but despite that, we had fantastic time. Driving Trabant was fun, staff was absolutely lovely, kind, helpfull and funny. It is little more expensive, but worth it as the service is excellent.

London, United Kingdom
11 attraction reviews
“Disappointing experience, avoid if you are not a confident driver or large.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

I went on this trip as part of a long weekend for a friends birthday.

We had all been to Berlin many times before but we had not gone on this in the past so we decided to book it. The booking process seemed fairly straightforward, however there appears to be more exterior colours of Trabis than there were available to book.

(Note: The birthday boy wanted the longer Wall Tour, however was put off as it looked like that only military coloured Trabis were for that tour and he wanted a rainbow one, however there was no rainbow bookable so w selected Zebra on a shorter East Tour)

We arrived at Trabi World, booked in and were guided to the car park at the back. There were 5 or so Trabis ready and a couple of groups had already arrived, one of which were in the Zebra we booked online, we were offered the Zebra, but then saw the Rainbow which wasn't on the booking list so took that.

We then got in the Trabi and found out that it is extremely uncomfortable for tall and / or large people. I struggled for a while to get my seatbelt on and struggled for just as long getting it off, goodness knows how we would have coped in an emergency.

With the minimum of training, basically how the gears worked we set off through the car park and out onto the open road. The tour was primarily clockwise, therefore there was a majority of right turns and minimised crossing oncoming traffic.

The problem was the general lack of familiarity with the cars, particularly the column shift. My friend who began the driving was constantly pulling away in third instead of first leading to near stalls and frustration.

In addition we hadn't had opportunity to try the brakes at any speed and we soon found out the brakes were probably the worst on any car we had driven, you would be better off putting feet through the floor Flintstones style.

The guide commentary was in German and English and again this was distracting as the driver was getting distracted looking at the sights rather than the road in a car with dodgy brakes leading to a few scares, this combined with the gear problems led to a frustrating experience for the driver.

Half way round, there was a brief stop to change drivers if necessary and I took over, it was a tight fit and I don't think the friend sitting behind me appreciated it. Although I observed the mistakes made and tried to avoid them I was not perfect, needless to say there were a few swear words going around and you couldn't fully enjoy the tour. There were a few times we had to wait for lost Trabis but the guide tried to give them directions by radio.

So we took in the usual sites ,Brandenburg Gate, Reichstag, Alexanderplatz, East Side Gallery, Checkpoint Charlie etc. But I can't say I enjoyed it, If I hadn't seen most of the sites before on previous trips on foot I may have been disappointed. I am not sure I would have survived the longer tour.

How to improve it:
Offer tours in single languages in order that more information can be given out in that language.
Offer tours where the guests are chauffeured, the lack of familiarity of customers to the car frustrates and it would be more relaxing.
At least allow drivers to drive around the car park before putting them on the road

Overall, yes, you do get to see Berlin, yes it is kitsch, but it is uncomfortable for large people and stressful for the driver. The 2CV tour I did in Paris a couple of years back was far superior.
If you want to see a Trabi, go to a museum, if you want a tour, there are several other options available.

London, England
38 attraction reviews
“Amazing fun!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

Many thanks to Simone for being a great guide on our tour around Berlin in the famous Trabant. Despite our Trabant breaking down on several occasions, me and my Daughter had a blast and the gear changing was challenging.