“Trendy hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 667 Hotels in Berlin
E-town
“Trendy hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

This hotel kind of reminded me of a hotel I stayed at in New York City. The Circus Hotel is in a good location. I discovered (by experience) that it's about a half an hour walk to the Brandenburg Gate, or about a 5 minute ride on the U-Bahn! Speaking of which, you can sign out/rent a public transportation pass from the reception for €4.50/day (you just need to leave a piece of ID or health card or something as a deposit). Which is good because the cost of public transportation can add up, and you definitely use the S-Bahn/U-Bahn/trams a lot as Berlin is a sprawling city.

I liked my room. I overlooked the very busy intersection, which was noisy, but since I'm used to that, the sounds of traffic/sirens/the tram didn't bother me at all. The rooms are indeed hot, but I had a fan in mine, so I have no complaints there. And my bed was SO COMFORTABLE. Loved it.

I quite enjoyed the buffet breakfast and the €8 cost was worth it, esp. since they have about 8 different varieties of muesli. Also, apparently all their food is organic or free range, which isn't important to me, but they had loads of healthy stuff.

Also, free WiFi.

Great hotel. Definitely recommend.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (408)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

My husband stayed at The Circus Hotel for six nights in May/
June 2013. The accommodation is centrally located in Berlin, close to museums, public transport ànd restaurants. Our room was nicely decorated with a good sized bathroom. Rooms are very clean, staff are very friendly & obliging. Breakfast at €8 is good value. This accommodation is also well priced for the location.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Leicester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

Great location. Travelled with party of friends and we all had good rooms, there was massive bathroom with ours. Lots of nice touches eg IPad chargers etc to make your stay really comfortable; and to be honest things which I wouldn't expect for a hotel with such reasonable rates.

Loved the breakfast, everything fresh and high quality. We also ate in the hotel at their Gin & Jazz evening; highly recommend the braised beef cheeks and bramble gin!

Hotel staff were v good; they arranged a Segway trip for some of our party and couldn't have done more to help. We had a room on the 3rd floor above the street, there was some noise but there again you're right in a city so not sure what else you'd expect?! All in all an incredibly good value for money hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
nyc
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

For the first time in Berlin ,I booked Circus based on the reviews on trip advisor and it was a great choice. Everyone from the front desk( I believe Jerry ) to the barman was friendly and made me feel at home and helped me get my bearings in a new city. The location is great, and there is some amazing gellato, coffee and shwarma all across the street at amazing prices compared to NYC. I missed the rooftop bar but next time would like to have a glass of wine up there. The fast and quick free wifi was also much appreciated. My only minor disappointment was with the breakfast buffet. For 8 euros you are much better off buying food nearby . Thank you and I hope to be back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the courtyard if you are light sleeper.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Englishman abroad
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

After reading the reviews on here, I booked the Circus for a short break. Important to be fair and considered, so here are the good points:

- Friendly service, helpful and welcoming
- Clean and Tidy on the whole, beds were also comfortable. Shower excellent, good bathroom facilities.
- Reasonable value for money
- Well located and ease of access to underground station.

Not so good points:

- Over-hyped. I cannot believe this is rated consistently the best hotel in Berlin. There must be some shockers in the 4* and 5* category if they cannot beat the Circus.
- No Air-con, just a blooming noisy fan. If travelling in summer, be aware - this wasn't ideal, even for a 3*
- Extremely small room - we were in 117 with no view. I didn't specially ask for one which wasn't really a problem, but the space in the room was cramped. Two people could not pass each other between the beds and the door for the bathroom.
- Breakfast is massively over rated. €8 could buy you a much nicer one further down Rosenthaler St or down towards Alexandra Platz. We ate once there and did not return.
- Servie in adjoining bar was a bit unattentive, and did not make you want to return for a late drink (we went across the road instead).

So, it is a good hotel for the money, but surely not the best in Berlin? It's no better than a slighly up market Premier Travel Inn in my view, and although the staff are excellent, the hotel itself and furnishings are acceptable, but not outstanding. Loved Berlin, but may try an alternative venue for a more luxurious experience next time.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Very friendly staff, nice room, all good, highly recommended. Restaurant downstairs has ok food , nice atmosphere and jazz later in the evening. Our room had window into the restaurant courtyard and there was some noise latd at night. Not sure if outside facing room might be better.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

We spent six nights here the third full week in May. The location is fabulous for sightseeing with many transportation options right outside the door plus a wonderful assortment of reasonably-priced ethnic restaurants within a two-block walk that we tried and liked: Transit (Asian small dishes), Gorky Park (Russian), Yumcha Heroes (dumplings), and Maya (Mexican). The young hotel staff from all around the world could not be nicer and more helpful; the organic breakfast was fabulous, with great coffee, wonderful breads and fresh yogurts and a plethora of interesting granola choices, with enough variety that we ate there all six mornings of our stay; the rooms sparkling clean and refreshingly decorated. Be aware there is no air conditioning although good fans are supplied for your use; I would book elsewhere in the hot summer months. The reduced-rate transit pass also was a nice option, and having the bath products on a request basis at the desk indeed reduces wastage. I loved all the eco-friendly endeavors.

The only negative: you absolutely must have a room facing the inner courtyard in order to sleep because the noise on the Rosenthaler Platz side, particularly the horrendously screeching brakes of the tram, was very loud, even using earplugs. We found this out because although I booked in January and was assured of a room on the third floor facing the courtyard, and I reconfirmed this booking by email just one week before our arrival, there was a snafu and the first night we had to sleep in a room facing the street. This proved to be very difficult even through we were exhausted from our overnight flight from the USA. We were moved the next day to a courtyard room, which was fine, and the hotel waived the cost of the night, which was very considerate and appreciated. (We saw others switch rooms to the courtyard side during our stay as well.) I personally found the beds (no box springs) very hard as well although my husband had no issues with them.

You could not find a nicer, friendlier staff in a non-family-owned hotel. It makes such a difference to one's stay and provided a nice homey environment for six-day visit to Berlin.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the courtyard are much quieter.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple