“Ok hotel for middle aged men” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Axel Hotel Berlin

You added Axel Hotel Berlin to your Saves list
Axel Hotel Berlin
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Lietzenburger Str 13-15, 10789 Berlin, Germany (Schoneberg)   |
Special Offer
Package Deal
Ranked #207 of 665 Hotels in Berlin
Miami, Florida
“Ok hotel for middle aged men”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I stayed two nights and this hotel and I regret booking this. Besides the front desk guy being handsome, there wasn't anything good at first sight about this hotel. The rooms were pretty small with no room for your luggage. On top of that the rooms were very dark with almost no lighting. It was ok for us because the location wasn't bad and we were out and about all day. Brakfast was very small and not very good. I don't think I am coming back to this hotel.

Room Tip: Find a different hotel.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
AxelhotelBerlin, Leiter Front Office at Axel Hotel Berlin, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Dear ipoquet,
thank you very much for your review here on TripAdvisor. It is a pity you weren't able to enjoy your stay with us. Please let me assure you that the size of the rooms is the standard for a city hotel. In case somebody wants a bigger rooms we are offering Junior Suites and Suites (just 40€ more per day) as well. I would be very happy if you should decide to try one of them on your next stay in Berlin. In case its not Berlin you like to visit next time, you might be interested in our other hotels in Barcelona, Buenos Aires and our new one in Maspalomas / Gran Canaria. Best regards from Berlin, Christoph Michel, Front Office Manager, Axel Hotel Berlin.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

The Axel Hotel is an interesting place. The space and concept is unique. They totally missed the mark on the details that truly make a guests stay comfortable. When I got to the room - No place to put my luggage. No place to hang clothes except for a tiny rack with 3 hangers adjacent to the sink. No place to hang a towel. Inadequate lighting in the cramped desk area facing the wall. A shower that could fit 10 people??? Some of the worst pillows Ive ever seen in a hotel. The hotel is in a great location and has a very friendly staff. The breakfast buffet is good.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Dear Mike P,
thank you very much for your review here on TripAdvisor. I am sorry we were not able to meet your expectations. The design and concept indeed are unique and not everyone's taste. I hope despite that you had a good time staying with us and would be very happy to welcome you again on your next stay in Berlin. As well you might want to check out our other hotels in Barcelona, Buenos Aires and our new one in Maspalomas / Gran Canaria. Best regards from Berlin, Christoph Michel, Front Office Manager, Axel Hotel Berlin.
Los Angeles
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

I stayed at the Axel in Berlin for 4 nights. My overall impression is that it's a decent hotel with an accommodating staff, friendly clientele, average rooms, a design style that won't age well, a party atmosphere (cross between frat house and 20-something club), and is being thrashed by its clientele, and not being well maintained. After staying at this Axel and the one in Barcelona, I'm not sure I'd stay at an Axel property again. After each visit, I'd go to smaller boutique properties run by gay individuals, but not focussed on partying or relying on cheeky slogans (i.e. Hetero-friendly) indicating we're gay, so you should stay here if you are too, but were properties for grown ups. It was much nicer to be staying where other grown ups stayed, and I'd probably choose that experience over the Axel experience on my next visit to any city where an Axel is located.

Location: It's a great location. Shopping, public transportation, restaurants, etc. all right in the vicinity. I don't like staying in the tourist areas of a city, and this definitely was not in the tourist area. I don't mind needing to use public transport to get to and from major attractions, and Berlin's transportation system is easy and efficient. I would definitely stay in this area of Berlin again.

Staff: Front desk staff were always friendly, helpful and professional. The restaurant staff were the same.

Room: I had two rooms. The first a Jr. suite on the first floor. The Jr. suites are very small. There's not really much suite about them at all. They share the same bathroom and bedroom configuration with the suites, but there is no sitting area at all. There's a desk with a chair and a cube for seating. I requested to change rooms because this room was too low for me, and there was a window behind the desk with no window covering, and no way to get from the bedroom to the bathroom without walking in front of this window. I usually wouldn't care, but people from the street can see into the room, and I didn't feel like giving anyone a free show. Additionally, the stall shower's (with body spray) temperature was set to scalding and it couldn't be adjusted. The next day I was upgraded to a suite on the 4th floor. This is more the size of a Jr. suite by US standards...think Embassy Suites' standard room, but had a true sitting area, and I was happy with the room. The bathroom is nice...stall body shower, big jetted tub with shower, and toilet area with privacy door, and two sinks, but nearly zero counter space. I'd have opted for one sink and some counter space. The door on the stall shower allows tons of water to spill out of the shower, so the bathmat and surrounding floor are drenched when you're finished. Not a big deal except it makes the floor slippery, and I was once through after dressing in my socks, and stepped on the bath mat. It was like stepping in a puddle, my sock was soaked through with just one step on the bathmat. The Axel chain needs to learn the gay lighting 101 lesson that there needs to be a way to turn on some lights or dim them if all are on. In the sitting area there was one switch and it turned on all the ceiling lights. The room was either dark or super bright no in between, and no floor lamps only ceiling lighting. All the windows functioned which was nice to get fresh air, but with the windows open road noise is prominent. Once closed, I couldn't hear much from the road, and I'm a pretty noise sensitive person.

Housekeeping: I'd give the housekeeping staff a below average score. In my first room there were no trash bags in my trash can...there was no bottom to the trash can and everything went on the floor. In my second room, each day I was there the housekeeper would leave me a "gift". The first day was a squeegee, so I thought he/she wanted me to wipe the glass shower after use. I did, but the squeegee was gone the next day and in its place a roll of trash can liners were left. When I moved to the suite, I was putting things away and noticed my foot would stick on the floor next to the bed. When I looked, there were drops of sticky stuff on the bedroom floor, and no way you could make the bed without having your feet feel the sticky stuff on the floor. I decided I couldn't deal with getting into and out of bed by putting my feet down into mystery sticky stuff on a bedroom floor and cleaned it up myself. Axel Housekeeping staff, people don't want to move into a room and find sticky stuff on the bedroom floor...ever. The room was kept clean during my stay, but the impression I got from this department was that they are not quite all together.

WIFI: On check-in I received 3 wifi sign-ins at no charge. These were good for 3 days, I was staying 4. I think it's a bit inconvenient to have codes that expire during one's stay. The wifi's speed was OK for me, but it was frustrating that it kept signing my Apple products out. I'd go to a web page only to find the page that came up was the sign-in page. When my codes expired I went to the front desk, and was met by the only surly personnel I encountered at the hotel, who told me that one device was free, and the other two were 5 Euro per day. I paid the 10 Euros, but then had the charge reversed on check out when the guy who checked me in was at the front desk at check out. Charging for wifi at all is ridiculous.

Restaurant: The restaurant staff was always great. I had breakfast here each morning, and there was a good variety of foods from hot meats and eggs to yogurt, cereal, fresh fruit, cold meats and cheeses, breads...something for everyone. The Hamburger Mary's burgers were just like at home.

Gym/Spa: Gym was the usual hotel joke. It's not a gym, it's an incomplete set of equipment that wouldn't allow a proper workout. I didn't workout on this trip, but if I had, I'd have gone to a real gym outside of the hotel. Spa....ummmm....bathhouse is more apt. I wouldn't have gone in there for anything. It wasn't a place to go to relax, it was a place to go and be leered at and more. Just walking through the people in the jacuzzi were watching every move to see if I were coming into the spa. Unwelcome advances aren't my thing, but it was clear, unwelcome advances are a spa norm. I didn't get a massage or use any of the other spa services.

Maintenance: This is where this place is really getting its lower rating from me. I kept thinking this place is only five years old, and things don't work, walls are dinged, paint chipped, pieces of molding are lying on the floor, carpets are stained, etc. etc. The place is either under capitalized or believes that being at an Axel with its ubiquitous Hetero-friendly slogan plastered everywhere, its quickly dating style ethic, and its party atmosphere should be enough...it isn't, not for me. They need to invest money, quickly, into maintaining this property.

To get me to stay here again: Free wifi without any restrictions, invest in maintaining the property, realize that being 'Hetero-friendly' isn't enough. This gay knows that there are many options for my gay dollars, and I will seek the nicest, best maintained property to spend them in. The Axel isn't that property right now. The days of 'they will come just because we're gay' have passed. The tagline 'Hetero-friendly' is becoming as dated as the styling of the hotel. We no longer live in a we vs them society. Nearly all hospitality companies are everyone friendly, and many provide a better value for the dollar than this property, which seems to still believe that gay-oriented is enough to charge premium pricing for less than premium accommodations. Also, get housekeeping into a clear routine that includes making sure they don't leave their items behind in the rooms, everything is done each day in each room, and for God sake get the sticky stuff off the bedroom floor! These things need to change before I'd return to the property.

Room Tip: The 4th floor seemed a good floor. Far enough away from the lobby and its music, and the 6th floor...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Dear Traveling Angeleno,
thank you so much for this huge and detailed review. I do really appreciate you took the time to write down all your impressions of your stay with us. Please let me apologize we did not meet your expectiations in every area of the hotel. We are currently working on a solution to clear out the negative things you are mentioning. I am very optimistic it won't take long for things to change and I would be very happy if you decide to give us another chance on your next stay in Berlin to show you your words are taken seriously. In case you might be interested in visiting our other hotels please feel free to do so in Barcelona, Buenos Aires and Maspalomas / Gran Canaria. Best regards from Berlin, Christoph Michel, Front Office Manager, Axel Hotel Berlin.
Malmo, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

We stayed at the Axel for the second time recently and had a wonderful stay and only had a few small issues:

1. We are a travelling couple staying for a few days - there simply wasn't enough storage - even for a single traveller. No cupboard - only a small rail with 4 hangers. Not a big issue, but something that can be improved upon.

2. The design of the showers - ask for extra towels to drop on the floor when u shower, otherwise you will flood the floor.

3. The temperature of the hot tub never seems to get warm enough. We mentioned this on our last stay and were told this would get checked.

Other than this, the hotel is still our only choice for Berlin. The location can't be beaten - its right in the hub of the gay scene and a block away from the KaDeWe. The staff are always great and offer great recommendations for restaurants and activities.

Will definitely be returning again!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
AxelhotelBerlin, Leiter Front Office at Axel Hotel Berlin, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Dear Alex W,
thanks a lot for your detailed review here on TripAdvisor. I am happy you had a good time during your stay here with us. Please lt me apologize about the issues you had. We will of course try to improve in those areas. Please feel free to visit us again anytime you are back in Berlin. You will also be very welcome in our other hotels in Barcelona, Buenos Aires and our new one in Maspalomas / Gran Canaria. Best regards from Berlin, Christoph Michel, Front Office Manager, Axel Hotel Berlin.
Derry, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

I had some reservations about staying here having read some of the reviews however I found the hotel to be absolutely satisfactory. The staff are very professional and I liked that they kept their distance and yet were very friendly. My room was comfortable and all was taken care of in terms of towels, tolietries etc. Breakfast was good and very relaxed in the cafe and garden area downstairs. I didnt use the roof top spa/gym but had a look and it seemed pretty well organised. My only 'complaint' was being asked by a member of staff not to use the stairs after the cafe closed as this meant passing through a small part of the cafe area - this didnt make any sense to me especially as I avoid elevators that being the precise reaon I asked for a room on a lower floor. Some locals suggested the hotel was very expensive by Berlin standards and recommended other hotels in the area but I managed a good discount by shopping around online. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: I was in second floor and it was fine.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Dear JamesDerry_Ireland,
thank you very much for your detailed review here on TripAdvisor. I am very happy you enjoyed your stay with us. Please feel free to visit us again anytime you are back in Berlin. You will also be very welcome in our other hotels in Barcelona, Buenos Aires and our new one in Maspalomas / Gran Canaria. Best regards from Berlin, Christoph Michel, Front Office Manager, Axel Hotel Berlin.
Tel Aviv, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

this place as an atmosphere like no where i had ever been in...
great value for money...
wonderful staff and excellent location.
would definitely come again!!!
this place as an atmosphere like no where i had ever been in...
great value for money...
wonderful staff and excellent location.
would definitely come again!!!

Dear doVarod,
thank you so much for your review and those kind words here on TripAdvisor. I am very happy you enjoyed your stay with us. Please feel free to visit us again anytime you are back in Berlin. You will also be very welcome in our other hotels in Barcelona, Buenos Aires and our new one in Maspalomas / Gran Canaria. Best regards from Berlin, Christoph Michel, Front Office Manager, Axel Hotel Berlin.
Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

I went to Berlin for a short week-end and I chose this place close to the gay bars and clubs.
I chose a suite as I wanted to treat myself, plus the rate was cheap compared to other hotels in Asia.
Wifi is provided only to one device for free, then you pay. I find this very stupid, as the hotel does not pay extra to the phone company according to the number of devices - whatever explications provided sounded so lame and dull I didn't go further as it was offending my intelligence.
Breakfast is ok, nothing to die for, nothing to feel sick because of.
Taking a shower I had to cover the floor with towels otherwise I would have flooded it. The shower was a modern one, however the bathtub had some issues so that the water couldn't drain - I informed the receptionist but no action was taken, so I checked out and mentioned it again. Maybe it is still filled with water?
At times I felt it more to be a cruising sleeping place than a proper hotel, in a good way of course. The receptionists were at times busier chatting on Grindr than helping out the customers, which wasn't very professional.
The spa needs to be cleaned more often, sometimes it is sticky.
I think I will come back, I just hope they get more international and less tacky by asking me 5 euro for the second device - it is not about the money, but it is the principle. Maybe a tour to Asian/Japanese hospitality could teach them a few things.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Diabolik77,
thank you very much for your review here on TripAdvisor. I am sorry we have not been able to meet your expectations regarding the Wifi and I would also like to apologize for the issue with the shower. I hope edspite those facts you still have been able to enjoy your stay with us. I would be very happy to welcome you again on your next journey to Berlin in order to show you we really do care. You will also be very welcome in our other hotels in Barcelona, Buenos Aires and our new one in Maspalomas / Gran Canaria. Best regards from Berlin, Christoph Michel, Front Office Manager, Axel Hotel Berlin.

Been to Axel Hotel Berlin? Share your experiences!