“Eating with our fingers was great fun!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Bejte Ethiopian Restaurant

Bejte Ethiopian Restaurant
Zietenstrasse 8, 10783 Berlin, Germany (Schöneberg)
030 / 262 59 33
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #44 of 5,667 restaurants in Berlin
Cuisines: Ethiopian
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: Schöneberg
Tring, United Kingdom
“Eating with our fingers was great fun!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

We had a sharing plate for 4 which was brilliant. We've no idea what it was .... but it was great! Friendly staff and a really buzz. 70E for 4 people.

Visited May 2013

95% Recommend
Berlin, Berlin, Germany
“Great food, atmosphere, staff and prices.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

I've eaten in a few ethiopian restaurants before. Both here in Berlin and in Sweden. This was by far the best one, the food is great and you get a really big portion for 10€ each if you choose the mixed plate. The staff was very nice and spoke English very well.

Concerning the man mentioning the prostitutes on a street nearby I can not see why that would be something that somehow makes for a bad review of this restaurant. The restaurant is cozy with a great atmosphere.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Hamburg, Germany
“I Expected More After Reading the Reviews on Here!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

I've eaten Ethiopian in a few east coast U.S. cities and always enjoyed it so, when I saw all the rave reviews on here I figured I had to go. We took the U-Bahn to Nollendorfplatz and started walking over to the restaurant. I was surprised to see a prostitute already on the corner gearing up for a cold evening. We entered the restaurant and were asked if we had a reservation. We didn't and they said they would try and find space for us since they were almost completely booked. It was about half full at 7pm on a Saturday night so this struck me as a little odd. Even though later there weren't many open tables it never reached the point where we needed to be told almost dismissively that we could eat there.

We were led to the farthest back corner to small wooden benches with wicker tables in front of them. I have to say that these benches were probably the most uncomfortable thing I've ever sat on in a bar or restaurant. The cushion on the back of the bench was a piece of cloth covering some wood that jutted forward. I could go on at length at how uncomfortable it was. We were left alone with our menu for a long time. When we ordered the waiter (who I also think is the owner) suggested that we get a platter. He said he would make half meat dishes for me and half vegetarian for my wife. We figured we should follow his suggestion. I had an Ethiopian beer, St. George, that was alright and my wife had milk with honey which she enjoyed.

We were surprised that it took an hour for our food to arrive. It seemed like an excessively long wait since almost everyone who was there was already eating. We were told that if we needed more of the flat pancakes (Injera?) that we just would should just ask. We didn't see the waiter again until we were done so that wouldn't have been easy to do. My food was okay but not as good as other times I've had Ethiopian. My wife's dishes were surprisingly bland and boring. I couldn't have been much more disappointed. We were given some popcorn at the end of the meal which was decent.

The service was worse than usual for Germany in the sense that it was slow and inattentive. I almost felt forgotten. We were there for over two and a half hours and saw our waiter five times. I noticed he spent lots of time with people who I assume might have been regulars. There were a few times I wanted something but couldn't get his attention and didn't want to go walking across the restaurant to get him. I am shocked that this place is currently the 20th ranked restaurant in Berlin. I thought about asking one of the many ladies of the night we passed on our way back to the train if they liked the food there but decided it probably wasn't a good idea.

• Visited January 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“such a delicious food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Eating with the hands is indeed fun! The food was tasty, spicy, interesting, with meat, veggies and linsen. One of the best places for eating in Berlin. The personal was very kind. The honey wine is good and the coffee ceremony ist very beautiful. Getting somehow near to Etiopia in Berlin!

• Visited February 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Leeds, United Kingdom
“An experience to remember...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

My review comes a bit late but the memory is still vivid as I was thinking of my best food experiences. Bejte is not for the weak hearted and Ethiopian food is delicious but very different. We had a huge platter with a variety of flavors we got to eat using our hands and a wonderful -not baked- pie. We also had Etiopian beers! Brilliant. The service was also unbelievably friendly and the whole place was not overly decorated but authentic and modest. Great value, also. We left Bejte happy and we will definitely visit it again during our next trip to Berlin.

• Visited February 2012