“Good option to try Nepalese in "Bear-lean"” 4 of 5 stars

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Buddha Haus
Ryke strasse 40, 10405 Berlin, Germany (Prenzlauer Berg)
030 / 44 04 14 77
Improve this listing
Ranked #3,421 of 5,941 Restaurants in Berlin
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Prenzlauer Berg
Berlin
“Good option to try Nepalese in "Bear-lean"”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

When my friends and I were in Bodhgaya, India in 2004, we used to eat in a temporary Tibetan tent restaurant that seemed to be run by several monks and had a TV often tuned to the BBC unless a soccer game was on. That is how I got to know 'Thukpa', the Nepalese version of chicken noodle soup (with or without the chicken). It was only 20 Rupees (many things seemed to be, come to think of it) and, maybe it was the experience of being in India, I ordered it every time we went. Went well with the "ketchup" whose main ingredient was pumpkin - only in India!

Fast forward to 2012 and my mom & I are looking for a new place to try in 'Prenzl Berg'. So, we settled on the inviting vibe of "Buddha Haus" on Ryke Strasse, my favourite street in the city. I had Thukpa w. chicken and my mom Veggie Momo's - I could have told her not to order those that she would not really like them but maybe I would have been wrong and my mom never listens to me anyway. The Momo's arrived, 10 pieces, kinda small for me but already too much for my mom, which meant I would get to sample them as well, not a bad thing. My Thukpa arrived in a a very hot metal bowl. I have to deduct a point as the website says you can get this with rice or glass noodles but at the resto it's "no can do", wheat noodles it has to be. Thukpa had a nice mix of Veggies in a nice enough broth, however the chicken pieces looked like they had come out of a box - pre-formed.Still, I enjoyed it. The Momo's were better for me though. You got two dipping sauces, one a spicy tomato based affair and a peanut one and what I would call an "almost salad" made up of iceberg with carrot slivers. I quite liked the different textures and flavors. My mom thought it was not fresh enough but that is perhaps asking a bit too much from such a mountain cuisine (my mom's not really up on those things and Asia in general).

The free yoghurt desert was a very nice touch. I would definitely go again. Try it - Guru Rinpoche will be there to greet you from his vantage spot on the counter.

• Visited June 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

“Nice atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2012

Good food, nice atmosphere and prices. Large menu, enough tables, good music.

Visited January 2012