“Lives up to Wombat reputation” 5 of 5 stars

Wombat's
Alte Schoenhauserstr.2, 10119 Berlin, Germany (Mitte)   |
Ranked #11 of 323 Specialty Lodging in Berlin
Calgary, Canada
“Lives up to Wombat reputation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013 via mobile

Wombat's City Hostel in Berlin definitely lives up to the reputation. It has clean facilities, great staff, and a good location.

The rooms, bathrooms and kitchen were all in great shape. It was really nice to have an ensuite. Plus, the two of us booked a six-bed room and were placed in a four-bed room - bonus!

The breakfast was mediocre but between that and making your own it was great to have options.

The staff were helpful and the free map is really well done with recommendations for cafes, bars, clubs, and places to eat. Seriously, go to Dolores and get a burrito.

I have only one concern: each floor, room, and locker is very secure with key card entrance but the front door in the lobby is wide open all day. This is great in creatin a welcoming atmosphere but it always welcomes unwanted guests. Twice some children came in from off the streets and tried takin people's valuables ie. electronics. All it took was a firm "No!" and they were deterred from me to the next individual but it is still a concern. The lobby (and bar upstairs) is the only place the Internet works so obviously people will have phones or computers with them downstairs. I don't expect Wombat's to be held responsible for my belongings but I do expect them to hold a responsibility in my safety and, frankly, that did not make me feel safe.

Overall I had a pleasant experience and will be staying with Wombat's in Vienna. I only hope that the door to the lobby will remain closed in the future.

• Stayed April 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Hebrew first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

I stayed here in November with 5 friends and we shared a private room. Lovely big windows, good lighting, plenty of space for your stuff, very clean, comfortable etc. Location very central, close to Alexanderplatz so very good transport links, lovely and affordable Vietnamese restaurant right across the street as well.
Staff were very friendly, good cooking facilities, bar upstairs was great, we all got a free shot and a free drinks voucher when we first arrived so that was an added bonus! Really good atmosphere there, it's a big hostel so there were loads of interesting people to meet. Great party vibes, modern facilities, a brilliant place to stay in Berlin. Good value for money, I couldn't recommend it enough.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Glasgow via Aberdeen and Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

Stayed here 2 nights in April during the Berlin half marathon. As a "more mature" guest who would also need a good sleep before the event I was a bit apprehensive of staying in a backpackers but it was great. Clean quiet modern rooms (we stayed in a dorm with 3 bunk beds and an en suite shared shower/ toilet/washroom), really good value breakfast and the rooftop bar was a great place to relax. Location was great too, right next to the Rosa Luxemburg station. Staff were really friendly and it was a pleasure to meet other travellers. All in all, a success.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 214 which looked out onto the main drag but it was still pretty quiet
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

I stayed in Wombat from 1-6 April 2013. I arrived in the wintry season and the weather was cold but the staff were warm and welcoming. They are knowlegeable and ever willing to help travellers to pin point the tourist attractions on the map. They give free city maps, U/S Bahn subways which were very useful to me. It is very centrally located, close to subway - a stone throw away. Shopping centers like Galleria, Alexa and many others were close by. Most of the attractions are also within walking distance from the hostel.
There were 4 of us and we booked a 6-dorm room. The beds were very comfortable and clean. The room was big with bathroom attached. It was so cosy staying here. The toilet was big and clean too. Security was fantastic.
Best of all, they give a free welcome beer. The beer during the Happy hours cost only Eur 1 for a beer.
I would recommend to all travellers visiting Berlin. Don't miss this hostel!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

Clean; great location (few minutes walk from Rosa-Luxemburgplatz, right across from a lovely Vietnamese restaurant); friendly, helpful staff; great environment to socialize with other travelers. The bar on the 7th floor was always lively. I was backpacking for 3 weeks over Christmas and this was the first hostel that I didn't wake up in the middle of the night because I was freezing!! The only downside is that the internet does not reach the rooms! One of the best hostels I have stayed at. Highly recommended.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dammam, Saudi Arabia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

We had a really pleasant experience staying here. It is perfectly well located, very big but still has that hostel feeling of it. Staff is really friendly, they even helped us find a restaurant fitting our needs. We first booked a shared room, but we decided to upgrade to single room, and they helped us change that with no extra fee. The breakfast at the hotel is cheap and really good, I mean nothing special, but it's good quality. The only bad thing is that they only have internet in the lobby, I guess this is to make people interact, but still, I want my internet haha. Anyways, it was a really good experience, and our room had a nice balcony with a view to the TV tower.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

After travelling around Europe on our TopDeck tour, we made it Berlin and were ecstatic to arrive at Wombats. Hands down the BEST hostel we stayed in on our whole tour. Clean, comfy, modern, great breakfast, free wifi. Will definitely be staying here again upon my return to Berlin!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

Been to Wombat's? Share your experiences!