“Great tour, very interesting” 5 of 5 stars
Review of SANDEMANs NEW Berlin Tours

SANDEMANs NEW Berlin Tours
Milastr 2, 10117 Berlin, Germany (Mitte)
+493051050030
Website
Improve this listing
Book ahead on Expedia
Book a Tour
Ranked #15 of 333 Activities in Berlin
More attraction details
Owner description: FREE TOURS of Berlin every day in English and Spanish. Pub Crawls and tours of Sachsenhausen, Potsdam, Third Reich Berlin, Red Berlin and more.Founded in 2003 by Yale University graduate Chris Sandeman, SANDEMANs NEW Europe thrives on a simple concept: Everyone, no matter their budget, should be able to discover Europe through the eyes of an expert. Connecting great guides with smart travelers, we believe in supporting our local communities and are commited to giving a voice to self-employed guides who have chosen Berlin as their home.By ensuring that every native English or Spanish speaking guide represents our unique style of mixing history and story-telling while maintaining their own personality and flair, we've become one of the most popular tour companies in the world. Helping superb independent guides connect with thousands of travelers a day, we provide these local freelancers the possibility to inform and entertain you, and they employ us to spread the news about this great concept.
“Great tour, very interesting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

A fantastic way to learn and see more of this interesting city. Simon was our tour guide and was extremely friendly and knowledgeable. He is from England but speaks as though Berlin is his home town. No need for any notes, he knows the history very well. The tour is a walking tour, 3 1/2 hours, and free! We and many others gave Simon a tip for a job well done. Berlin is fascinating, and of course so much history. A great way to start to get to know the city. Would recommend the tour.

• Greek first
  • Hebrew first
Linkoping, Sweden
“Perfect Walking Tour(s)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

I took the free walking tour with Leen on my first full day in Berlin. It was well worth my time and tip. I really got a feel for the city and its history in a few short hours that flew by. She has a passion for everything Berlin and the (large) group was engaged throughout the hundreds of years of history discussed. She offered her own insights on memorials and sites and is one of the best guides--if not the best--that I have ever had. I knew exactly what other sites I wanted to see in the city and how to see them thanks to this tour.

I decided to take the Alternative City Tour the next day, largely because Leen was the guide. This tour was more than fairly priced and worth every penny. She has a huge knowledge and passion for art (as an artist in her own right) and it showed during these few hours. She constantly pointed out street art and the responsible artists as we walked and provided us with an awesome immersion and feel for the culture.

Montreal, Quebec
6 attraction reviews
“A very informative and entertaining tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

This review is for the free tour of old town Edinburgh and the paid tour of the castle, both with Alan. He brought the very complicated history alive and put our previous bus tour guide to shame. I recommend him highly. We will go on a third tour tomorrow.

Vienna, Austria
“Berlin Tours - free tour was worth it.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

The free tour of Berlin was great. Lewis was very knowledgable and definitely kept the group engaged. My friends and I also did the tour of Sachsenhausen. I wouldn't recommend the tour of Sachsenhausen, but I would recommend that you go out and see it on your own. It is a quick train trip and an easy walk from the train station. Touring the memorial is easy because of the informative exhibits all around the camp. The Sandeman tour of Sachsenhausen was too long and gave little time to tour inside the buildings. It also takes much longer than they say it will, so if you decide to do it with Sandeman, budget a whole day for it. Also, when registering for the tour of Sachsenhausen after our free walking tour of Berlin, a man named Frank was doing the registration. He was extremely rude and could not answer the most basic of questions (such as where the tour would start). He also had no change, which made paying for the tour difficult (he also made it seem like it was our fault that we did not have exact change - it's called customer service, figure it out). Overall, I would say our experience with Sandeman in Berlin was decent. We have had much better experiences with Sandeman in other cities (Prague, London).

Visited May 2013
Mark Q, Guest Relations Manager at SANDEMANs NEW Berlin Tours, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Really sorry for Frank's abruptness here, there's no need for that and we've spoken to him about it.

On a more positive note, I'm glad you enjoyed the free tour and our tours in other cities, and the Sachsenhausen Memorial too although we regret that you wouldn't recommend going with us. We will ask others if they also agree there is not enough time to go inside the buildings.

Thanks for raising this point, and I hope we will get the chance to see you again in the future, in another city in our network.

Best
Mark
Austin, Texas, United States
3 attraction reviews
“best tour I've ever taken”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

Seriously, it was so so good. Amy was amazing. We learned so much history, went to so many sights, and it was funny! I haven't ever taken a tour that's so information rich, it was so in depth and now we know what to do on our short time in Berlin! The guides work on tips, and we ended up tipping way more than we thought we would because the tour was that good.