“Good Buffet Breakfast” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #35 of 48 Hotels in Wurzburg
Hong Kong, China
“Good Buffet Breakfast”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2010

Family run small nice hotel. Room is clean. Don't expect any service. (We have to move our luggage to 2nd floor ourselves. No elevator.) But the buffet breakfast is very good with lots of local specialties.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Brussels
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2010

It is advertised as an old local hotel, but in the end it is very basic. The room, which needed to be refurbished had two separated small beds and a shower with little pressure. The breakfast on the bright side was quite overwhelming, at least if one likes raw fish, peppers, artichoke hearts and french cheese in the morning.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
Carmichael, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2007

I made reservations for two nights based on the historical fact that it dates from 1430. It was just a plain ordinary building, although the restaurant below did have charm to it with good food and was non-smoking. When we checked in we informed them that only wanted just one night as we wanted to go to Frankfurt in preparation for a flight out the morning after. No problem was the response. When we went to check out the person on duty was bent out of shape. The historical area is just around the corner and worth visiting. We paid Euro 110 and at that price we feel it was a fair price. Our room was Room #3, one flight up the stairs and faced the street. It was a Friday night and tended to get noisey outside. Then what else is new with these narrow streets. If you can't deal with it then stay at a more modern hotel and pay more.

• Liked — Close to Historic part of town
  • Disliked — Did not really have the charm of a 1430 inn.
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Whitehouse Station, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2006

Our family has just returned from a wonderful 10 day vacation in Bavaria. My husband, both sets of grandparents and I traveled to visit our daughter who is studying in Würzburg for the year. We stayed at three hotels during our trip and enjoyed our initial three night stay here so much, we decided to change our original plans and spend one more night at the end of our trip.

After reading the earlier postings, I have to admit to being anxious regarding our accommodations. However since our visit coincided with Oktoberfest, we decided to keep our reservations and were very glad we did! We had the opportunity to stay in five different rooms during our two stays.

The hotel does not have an elevator, so anyone with difficulty with stairs should request a room on the first floor (which will require climbing one flight of stairs). Knowing that many hotels do not have elevators, my request for a room with the least amount of stairs for my parents was honored both times. While the rooms did vary in size and the rooms towards the front of hotel were a bit noisy, we did not experience any difficulties with the showers or towels as previous posters mentioned. Our showers were glass enclosed and we had sufficient towels during our stays. I would suggest requesting a room in the back to allow enjoyment of the fresh breeze from open windows while reducing the possibility of street noise.

The breakfasts were a hit with everyone, including my daughter who joined us for two. A diverse selection included meats, cheeses, fish, eggs, breads, homemade jams, yogurt, fresh fruit, and delicious cakes. Beverage selections included juices, coffee, and tea. The breakfasts were plentiful and everyone started out well nourished for a day of sightseeing.

The hotel is centrally located permitting enjoyable walks to the numerous cafes, markets, and shops.

I must comment on the wonderful staff and owners of the hotel, who graciously went out of their way to insure we had a wonderful visit (giving directions/advice on the area, helping us park our van, to flexibility with our stays). When the weather was dreary and walking too much for our parents, the staff made sure they were comfortable while resting in their rooms. I look forward to staying here again on our next visit!

• Liked — The wonderful staff and owners
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Boulder, CO
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2006

In a three week period, we stayed in 12 different hotels in 12 different towns in Germany priced from 90 euros per night to 260 euros per night. At 140 euros per night, I thought this was the most overpriced hotel of our trip. I just didn’t get a good feeling from the hotel. Our room was very plain & worn but clean. The shower holder was broken & appears to have been for some time. The ground floor area is dark & not very welcoming. Reception is in the restaurant. There is no elevator & carrying our luggage up several flights of stairs was not pleasant. (A housekeeper was offered to carry the bags, but she was much smaller than I.) Our room fronted on the street below, it was too hot to close the windows, & there was noise all night long. We resorted to earplugs at 3:30am but even they were not enough for the motor scooters at 5:30am. I agree with another reviewer about the breakfast - a disappointment unless you like cold fish. I selected it based on a review in Fodors. I don't get it. Maybe my dislike was unusual. There were newspaper articles posted everywhere & the two I could read (NY Times & a London paper) both had nice things to say. I assume the German reviews were positive also. The ladies who run the place seem nice. I just have to believe there are much better choices in Wurzburg.

• Stayed June 2006
Heidelberg, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2006

I was in Wurzburg for work, and the write up for Zur Stadt Mainz in Frommer's caught my eye. I wanted a cozy place to come back to at night, and a filling breakfast in the morning before I headed out for a long day of work. Who wouldn't want to check out the best breakfast in town? It was not cozy, it was dark and empty. The room furnishings were plain - definitely not old-fashioned Franconian. The bathroom curtains were made out of a terrycloth towel-like material that had me tempted when I found only 1 barely-decent-size towel in the bathroom.

The breakfast... a typical European breakfast, but certainly not close to the best I've seen, in Wurzburg or anywhere; generous only if you REALLY like varieties of pickled and smoked fish. A work friend raved about the breakfast at her hotel, and when I checked it out, I was bummed at what I had been missing out on all week. Lunch in the restaurant was overpriced, and definitely not what I would call excellent cuisine. Mostly just disappointed.

• Stayed May 2006, traveled on business

Been to Zur Stadt Mainz? Share your experiences!