“Mess due to building actvities” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mercure Hotel Wuerzburg am Mainufer

You added Mercure Hotel Wuerzburg am Mainufer to your Saves list
Mercure Hotel Wuerzburg am Mainufer
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Dreikronenstrasse 27 | D-97082 Wurzburg, 97082 Wurzburg, Bavaria, Germany   |
Special Offer
Package Deal
Ranked #4 of 48 Hotels in Wurzburg
Certificate of Excellence 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

I was fortunate to travel to Wurzburg, Germany with my husband and had initially checked into another hotel. The hotel was listed as a three star but really was more like a two. I disliked everything...so...knowing the Mercure hotel chain well...we decided to move to the Mercure Hotel and were very glad we did. The hotel is located in a safe area, close to the Marienberg fortress, approximately a ten minute walk to the historic old town, with direct access to the river hiking trail. The hotel has one restaurant and one bar, Internet access, and rooms are spacious. The restaurant's menu focuses on regional cuisine and the bar has good choices of cocktails and an impressive wine list. Staff is very professional, attentive, and multilingual. If I had the opportunity to return to Wuerzburg, I would definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

Great location, friendly service. It is currently under renovation, but still work out great for us. Once it is finished, and back to normal operation, it will even better.
The room is big, comfortable, and well appointed.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
WARRINGTON
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

I travel extensively, and this is the first review I've every been motivated to write.
This hotel is truly awful.
When I turned up the place was a building site, but this was never disclosed when we booked.
I booked a non smoking double room but got a twin smoking room, which was of the sort of standard I'd expect (and have experienced) from a Latvian hostel. The staff were wholly unapologetic about this.
I knew I wasn't going to get my money back but I'd have walked away if all the other hotels in town weren't booked up.
The entire hotel was tatty, full of bad stale odours, cramped and dated. It's not in a great part of town and the car park is ludicrously small - I'm a pretty good driver but there was no way you could get anything bigger than a mondeo into the spaces. They charge you for this as well.
To top it off, the hotel had no bar, no restaurant and the mini bar was literally nailed shut.
Wurzburg is a beautiful place, but do yourself a favour and pay the extra 10 euros a night for the Novotel!

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

This hotel is UNDER CONSTRUCTION. And Mercure and the Accor Group have permanently damaged their brand in my eyes.

1) We booked directly through Mercure Wurzburg over the phone, asking for a quiet room for our little daughter. No one told us it was a full-on construction site. Very unprofessional.

2) The staff was either completely uninformed or dishonest. Upon check-in, I said if construction would start after 9am, we would stay. They promised noisy works would not begin until after 9. The next day, heavy drilling started at 7:50am with 15+ workers already in full swing.

3) For this misrepresentation, the assistant manager and I agreed on a 50% discount and free breakfast.

4) The entrance to the ground floor construction zone is a plate metal door which opens outwards towards the guest lift entrance. And as the workers were also using the guests’ lift, you must wait a long time for the lift. While my family was waiting, a worker opened the door outwards and hit my little daughter in the head with the edge of the door.

5) At this point, I was furious and refused to pay for the hotel. They accepted and charged me nothing. They are lucky my daughter suffered no serious injuries or I would have tested out the German civil court system.

So other travellers understand what they're getting into, in pictures:
- construction debris cluttering access to stairwell on 3rd floor
- spare doors filling another stairwell
- view when the lift opens onto the 2nd floor (we stayed on the 3rd)
- workers now concerned about their sharp metal door installation
- someone perhaps explaining that endangering the safety of guests' children is bad
- the hazardous door has magically disappeared 10 minutes later

Finally, although I was travelling privately, I intend to formally raise this with my company's travel division and recommend Mercure and Accor Hotels properties be excluded from our preferred hotel network. I am also in the process of changing all my upcoming planned business stays from Accor’s Sofitel to other properties.

The conclusion? Next time, just be honest. It saves everyone a lot of trouble.

Room Tip: away from the construction area - the drilling tends to vibrate through the walls
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Bristol, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

First impression of the hotel was that it was a bit run down hence why they are doing construction work. It would have been nice to be informed that this was going to be happening during our stay as waking up to drilling at 08am is never pleasant whilst you’re on holiday. Breakfast is very expensive so would recommend you eat out in the town.

The only thing good is the location.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Mercure Hotel Wuerzburg am Mainufer? Share your experiences!