“'Alice in Wonderland' house - great” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Raidel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Rothenburg
Hotel Raidel
You added Hotel Raidel to your Saves list
Wenggasse 3, 91541 Rothenburg, Bavaria, Germany   |
Ranked #24 of 47 Hotels in Rothenburg
Galway, Ireland
“'Alice in Wonderland' house - great”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2011

Stayed overnight in Rothenburg while travelling across Germany with our son. Rothenburg itself is very interesting but gets crowded in daytime with tourists on day trips. However by staying overnight you really get a feel for the place, a real trip back in time to a fairly genuine survival of a medieval German townscape. Some 60% of the town in fact is genuinely medieval or good restoration from 'long ago' whereas the rest was sadly destroyed in the last war. the centre of town, with all the important buildings survived intact (and the Wst side). You'd never know today which bits were destroyed as everything destroyed was rebuilt soon afterwards really well.
Back to the Hotel...the hotel survived - and wow! what a survival. It's a small townhouse very close to the centre of town on 4 floors. It would immediately remind you of a dolls house - but even more like something from 'Alice in Wonderland' because it's tiny but amazingly got loads of space. All the rooms have low ceilings, have antique funiture and paintings (but not antique beds and facilities - these are bang up to date and great.) The first floor is even more 'Alice' with a sort of lounge area again full of antiques, the full width of the house with an ancient wooden floor that slopes to the centre (and beamed floor above). Herr Raidel is a quiet spoken courteous man with a fine moustache; a tuba player (or similar) in a local band, he is a fine host - seemingly running the place single handedly. Lovely views of the mediavel roofs from our room. My sons single room up in the attic similarly had great views and supposedly a single room - seemed big enough for two! Plenty of hot water, towels (and soap!) provided. My wife wasn't too happy that the shower attachment was broken - so that the shower head wasn't fixed to the wall - you had to hold it while showering; but I didn't mind - shower was good and strong (and hot!)
Plenty for breakfast.
In summary - quaint place with bags of genuine character. Good service. Good value. I stayed one night - I told Herr Raidel I'd be back & I meant it. Back both for Rothenburg which has much more to offer than the 'touristy' image might suggest - and back for this great hotel

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2011

This is a pension, wrongly named here, enuff said.
Location is good. Like what an earlier reviewer had said, you have Rothenburg to yourself in the early morning and late evening when all the day trippers had gone. Alot of christmas decorations shops here. There is a quaint restuarant on the main street which had a reasonable set meal. About 5 minutes walk to the town central which is the meeting place of the night watchmen tours.
Owner is a gruff looking man but he is friendly. I asked for directions, tips to eat and location for free parking and he was helpful.
Breakfast was filling. Its a small buffet spread and the owner served the tea or coffee in pots to you.
Rooms was clean and no frills. Everything was working. However, my friends and I, didnt have much sleep in the room. A friend and myself, had some dreams which disrupted our sleep. Another friend claimed to sense something. I really do not know why the 3 of us didnt manage to get much sleep at the same time. Maybe its just a one off as other reviewers dont seem to have any similar issues.
Finally, give the owner some credit as hes rather talented. The furniture and stuff like the furnace, that you see there, he created it singled handedly with dedication and time. He even painted a picture of his father which is hanging in the lobby. Previously he was running a business in a different industry.
If you do stay there, please tell him that his singaporean guest says hi.
I have photos of all stays in Germany, feel free to message me if you wish to view them.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2010

My wife and I enjoyed our stay at the Hotel Raidel.
I thought it was a very cool historical home with nice unique owner. It does lack luxury, but if you are looking for a inexpensive, clean, and hospitable place to stay, this is it.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Stewiacke, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2010

We had a room with bath for 59 euro including breakfast. The room was clean, the bed comfy and the bathroom fine. I loved crawling under the duvet at night. The hotel is in an old historic building and the common rooms are beautifully furnished with antiques and paintings. The location was great, inside the wall of Rothenburg. The owner was friendly and soft spoken. Ate at Der Gasthof Goldener Greifen at the recommendation of our host and it was a wonderful meal with very pleasant waitress. We enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2010

We stayed here for 2 nights on our trip along the Romantic Road in Bavaria, Germany. We stayed in 2 ensuite rooms as we were travelling with extended family. The bathrooms were serviceble but basic. The furntiture in the rooms was also basic. Some of the furniture looked to be antique, some of it just old. Everything, including bathrooms were as clean as you could hope for a building of its age (600 years I believe).

The gentleman who ran this hotel was a little gruff in our opinion. He spoke enough English but unfortunately we didn't speak good German, so perhaps this is why he came across this way. We just thought that for someone in the hopsitality business, he could have been more cheerful. He did explain to us how to get around the city walls when we asked for assistance.

The breakfast was by far the most basic of all our hotel stays in the 9 days that we were in Germany, but to be fair, it was plentiful and satsifactory. The breakfast area was very nice, with wooden booths to sit in.

Parking is not available directly next to the hotel, but the owner did direct us to nearby parking inside the city walls. We were able to unload and then drive off to park the car.

We ate in a nearby restaurant (Glocke) which was very good and reasonable value for money in a touristy town.

The hotel is very close to the Plonlein. It is a short walk to the centre of town and also to access the city walls. It is also on the main shopping street. The location is excellent.

Overall I was a bit disappointed with this hotel. I was hoping for more and it didn't live up to expectation for me. I would describe it more as a pension than a hotel.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Naples, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2010

This was a recommendation from the Rick Steves' guidebook. I'm glad I found it! The pension is very close to the main attractions in beautiful Rothenburg. Our room was spacious and looked out on the street, but even with the windows open it was quiet at night. We were on the top floor, so we had to climb a handful of steps to get there (didn't mind, we do that at home anyway). Our room didn't have a private bathroom, but there was a toilet on the same floor. The shower was a floor down (I hated the shower. Very tight, loose shower head, mildewed curtain). The owner Herr Raidel seemed to be a quiet, maybe slightly gruff man. But, once we asked him a few questions and he found out that my husband was a musician (Herr Raidel plays too), he opened up. He seems to run the establishment himself. Breakfast was the best we had in Germany - meat, cheese, bread, coffee, and soft-boiled egg! The only negative thing was the shower.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Shanghai, China
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2010

I saw so many good comments about this hotel and so I selected that one. However, it turned out to be a bit disappointment.

The hotel owner Norry Raidel is not friendly at all. The guesthouse did not provide me with a soap. When I asked him whether you have a soap, because I assume each hotel or guest room will provide guest with a basic soap. But He responded to me in one sentence and said "you do not have soap" and then walked away. This is pretty weird and also a bit creep me out.

The only conversation I had with him is that your room is *** and breakfast is here at 8 am. I need to explore by myself to find the shared bathroom, which is pretty bad equipped.

In the morning I planed to check out around 7:30am. I found no one around reception and had to sit there by myself and tried to make some noise in hope of he would hear it. Then he suddenly showed up from nowhere. Finally I checked out.

Anyways, I do not mean to be negative. This is just what I had there. If you want to go there, remember you need to bring your own soap.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Raidel? Share your experiences!