“Horrible Service” 1 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Coffee Shop
Dusseldorf, Germany
“Horrible Service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

I normally do not like to write poor reviews, but I was so horrified at the service that we received this past weekend, that I must post about it to warn others.

I visited Rothenburg with my husband, mother-in-law, and 2 of my husband's cousins. After a day of walking around, my mother-in-law and cousins wanted to grab a quick coffee and hot chocolate. We took a seat outside, on a fairly empty patio (1 other table was occupied), and 4 of us ordered a drink, while my husband decided that he did not want anything, and would just accompany us (as we now live in Germany, and his mother was visiting). After the 4 of us order, the waiter turns to my husband and asks if he wants anything, to which my husband replies "No, thank you". He was then told that he needed to order something. Thinking the waiter was joking, he asked if the waiter was serious, and was told if he was going to sit there he needed to order something. My husband then left, noticeably upset - if we hadn't had our drinks already, we would have left as well. Not only that, when we asked for the check the waiter disappeared for what seemed like 20 minutes, we eventually had to go and track him down to pay.

I can understand the "You must order to sit here" policy, if you are by yourself and simply sitting in the patio seats, as the location is right by the main square. However, if you are with a party who order drinks or food, the policy is just terrible service.

If you are travelling with a group, save your time and money. You deserve better service for the price paid, plus there are many other coffee shops that would be happy to have your patronage.

• Visited May 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

UK
“This is one not to be missed”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2012

The coffee and cake are just divine, and very tempting.

Visited April 2012
Los Angeles, CA
“HORRIBLE service!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2011

My husband and I stopped at this coffee shop for a cup of coffee before our "Night Watchman Tour." The tour meets right across from this coffee shop and since we had 30 minutes to kill, we figured we would grab a cup of coffee and sit there for a few minutes. So, I attempted to order a cup of coffee. Before I had an opportunity to finish my sentence, the woman behind the counter (who I believe was the owner), turned to my husband and asked very rudely if he was going to order anything. My husband, totally surprised by her bad attitude, told her politely that he was only there to accompany me. She then proceeded to mumble some stuff we couldn't hear and became visibly agitated. When she handed me my drink, she basically threw it at me. I think if she wasn't afraid of breaking her own cup, she would have. In any event, we proceeded to the back of side of store and before we could sit our bottoms down on the chairs, she came by and told my husband that if he sat there he needed to order something. So, we got up and proceeded to the stools close to the register, figuring that surely these stools were intended for those who wanted to drink their coffee fast and not sit and lounge... We were wrong again. She started mumbling again. This time she was saying something to the effect of "if you are going to sit by the window, you need to order something." I had already ordered "something", so I couldn't figure out what her problem was with us being there, especially because aside from one other couple, there was no one else there!!! At this point, we asked if there was an issue, and she said that my husband needed to order something. We explained again that only I wanted to drink coffee and that he was only there to accompany me. We asked if she proposed for my husband to go outside and wait while I sat inside and drank my coffee!!!

To make a long story short, we have never been so humiliated. Save yourself the headache and humiliation, and take your $3 for a cup of coffee across the plaza, where you can sit outdoors and enjoy your drink without a pesky, rude woman bickering in your ear and treat you like a nuisance!!!

• Visited May 2011