“Relaxing Atmosphere; Great Food” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: German
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Bamberg, Germany
“Relaxing Atmosphere; Great Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

My husband and I stopped here for lunch with our dog. Many German restaurants welcome dogs and this one is no exception. The atmosphere is traditionally German, as well is the food. The sauerkraut was very good and may be one of the best that I have had while living in this wonderful country. If you find yourself in Rothenburg then stop by this great place!

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

91% Recommend
Amelia Island, FL
“Fantastic find”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

We visited Rothenburg ob der Tauber in May, 2013. As we walked around the town, a family
who owns a vacation house next to the Alter Keller recommended this restaurant. Since we had no other plans we tried it and had a great meal. The interior is very quaint in keeping with the city's atmosphere. The food was tasty and good. We were on a spargel "kick" and were so happy to be again be able to enjoy this wonderful dish for dinner.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Sarasota, Florida
“Tasty food and a pleasant setting.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

We went here on a Rick Steves recommendation and I'm really pleased that we did. The food was delicious, and (although it was chilly) it was nice to sit outside and enjoy a quiet corner of Rothenburg o.d.T.

Visited June 2013
Frankfurt, Germany
“Traditional German Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

We live in Frankfurt, so we eat German food usually only when people visit (as we mainly eat at home). Our friend wanted some traditional German food while we were in Rothenburg and we wanted to avoid a tourist trap. This one came highly recommended on Trip Advisor.

All three meals we ordered were of the highest quality and very delicious. My portion of pork steak, spaetzle and mushroom sauce was so large I couldn't ever hope to finish it.

The location was off the market square on a narrow side street. Decorations were of the quaint traditional variety and the service was friendly and prompt.

Highly recommend.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Hamilton, Ontario
“Recommended by a local...they were right!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

On our recent visit to Rothenburg we had planned on eating at another restaurant which was a Trip Advisor favorite but it was closed for some holiday. We asked the woman working in the shop next door and she suggested the Alter Keller and gave us directions. Very easy to find, a 1 minute walk from the market square.

It was charming on the outside and the inside, decorated in a quaint German style. When we initially arrived there was a table of seven Asian tourists and only one waitress which concerned us but we decided to try anyway.

The waitress was extremely pleasant and efficient. She allowed me to sample a wine I had never tried and had no problem providing me with another choice when the first was not to my liking. I had the local sausage with sauerkraut and potatoes and my husband had the child's schnitzel with spaetzle which she substituted for the potatoes at no charge as my husband is allergic to potatoes.

All of the food was exceptionally cooked and we were very full at the end. My husband had a weissbier and our total bill came to 21.5 Euros. Great location, great food, friendly service, and great value. If you only have time for one meal while in this town you should seriously consider this restaurant.

• Visited May 2013