“Eat here” 5 of 5 stars

49-9861/6068
Improve this listing
Ranked #31 of 99 Restaurants in Rothenburg
Cuisines: German
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Entertaining clients, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Woodinville, Washington, United States
“Eat here”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

My wife and I, having grown up in german families, were looking forward to great spaetzle in Germany. We had found some at a few places in Munich and Garmisch, but it was nothing to write home (or in TripAdvisor) about -- at one place it was more like bad fettucini than spaetzle. Then we went to Spaetzle-Schwob. My wife, daughter and I each had a different plate that featured their Spaetzle. It was wonderful. Plump, tender, bite-size pieces of perfectly cooked spaetzle in very nice sauces -- my daughter had a cheeze sauce (german macaroni and cheeze), my wife had mushroom, and I had the rindsroulade.

But, the beyond the great food, here's the amazing thing...
We left the restaurant and walked around the town. About a half hour later, the waitress/proprietor found us walking in the market square. She handed my wife her purse (with our passports and other important items) that my wife had unknowingly left at the restaurant. Although it's a small town, she must have been walking all over the town to try to find us. We were so appreciative.

So go their for the great Spaetzle and be sure to thank the waitress for us.

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

United States
“Really Nice Rooms”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

Very nice rooms and a very good breakfast. Extremely reasonable considering its location in the heart of Rothenburg.

Visited July 2012
San Jose, California
“Traditional food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

This was somewhat out of our kids usual fare but we all loved it - particularly the Pfannenkuche (sp?). We sat outside on a beautiful sunny evening and had the local beer and wine to go with our meal. Very good value and nice for a change from the "heavier" german fare.

Visited June 2012
Toronto
“A warning I wish I'd received.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

Service was okay, but food was very bad. After having a delicious meal at another restaurant, I was looking forward to the spaetzle at this establishment. It was one of the few places open on a Sunday night. Food didn't taste fresh, schnitzel was tough, gravy was salty and clearly from a package. The spaetzle, which should have been excellent was very bland, now I realize that it's supposed to be a base for other ingredients, but it was cold and tasteless. Just do yourself a favour, remember this review and go elsewhere, lest this meal detract from your visit of this wonderful town.

Visited June 2012
“Excellent Gasthaus”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

According to my son, they had the best spaetzle he ate during our recent trip. Excellent service with a great atmosphere.