“Good hostel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 15 Specialty Lodging in Fussen
Port St. Mary, United Kingdom
“Good hostel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

We booked a family room and on arrival were offered the chance of a second bedroom at a reduced rate, much appreciated. Rooms clean, beds comfortable, private bathroom very good, décor a bit poor mans 80's chic, but its a hostel - what do you expect. It was presented with good hearted enthusiasm and you take it as it comes. Free Wi-Fi worked well in both rooms - a real bonus. Lots of parking space, a 10 minute walk into the town. Children loved it and considered it luxurious - I wouldn't go quite that far, but still worth recommending. Shared fridge on the landing worked fine. Would have been nice to have a sink to wash breakfast cups and cutlery (other than bathroom wash basin) and the free coffee tended to walk. Corner shop just across road sold all food essentials.

Room Tip: First floor family room was great for us. House is in a quiet area, so all rooms are OK for street n...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
US
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

We are a family of 4 with 2 college kids so we rented an apartment from House LA. The "apartment" has 2 disconnected rooms, Room 5 & 7. Room 5 has a double and a single bed, with a sink. Room 7 has a double bed and a sofabed. Room 7 is connected to a kitchen with dining table and a bath room. Room 5 is connected to Room 7 via a shared balcony. Therefore, to access the kitchen/bathroom from Room 5, we have to go thru Room 7. Even though we were on the top (3rd) floor w/o A/C on a hot summer day, it wasn't too hot due to adequate ventilation.

This is a hostel like apartment so don't expect 5 stars quality. Rooms are clean and everything is functional. Neuschwanstein is a short 10 mins drive away. More info can be find here: http://www.fussen-info.com.

There is no elevator, A/C, fan, window screen, shampoo/conditioner, face towel. But this is common in all the German apartments I rented so it's not a negative to this property.

We had a car so we drove over to this restaurant, Fischerhütte, in Hopfen am See for dinner:
The food was good but the view is to die for. Like a painting! Highly recommended.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Belgrade, Serbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Staff was really friendly, and the atmosphere in the hostel was great. The reception isn't open 24/7 and that is a little inconvenient in case you need something (we arrived late on our check-in day and almost missed them). WiFi signal was not so good in the rooms (but fine on stairs) and there was one computer where you can pay for Internet. Location is really great, though, and I would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Milan, Italy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

5 minute-walk to the center. Free parking. Nice and clean room with no cabinet, clean toilette and bath. Nice and helpful staff. Hardly connect to wifi. All in all, good since we only stayed here for one day.

• Stayed August 2013
Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

I stayed with my mum for 2 nights during the hottest summer high season. The private double room is quite small, there is no enough space to walk in the bed after I settled down with 2 suitcase. But well, I am paying EUR45 per night per room in the high season, I think this is indeed good enough. There are 2 shared-bathrooms, one of them is pretty small (and dark) but the other one is bright and big. Both of them are clean enough although the floor was always wet after shower. Better if the hostel put a carpet or a floor-cloth to keep the floor dry.

Location is good, within 5 mins walking you can reach the old town and supermarket, within 10 mins you reach the train and bus station.

One thing not so good is the confusing check in time. I had an early flight to Munich and arrived this hostel in Fussen at 12nn (and my time difference was 8 hours), the check in time should be 2pm indicated on their website and on the hostel wall it said check in from 1pm, on my confirmation email the host even asked me to call them if I had to arrive later than 5pm. However upon our arrival at 2pm the cleaning staff said check in started at 5pm, I saw some clean rooms there and asked if we could get a clean room now or as soon as possible because we were very tired after long flight and train etc, The staff insisted check in 5pm. I told them the website mentioned 2pm is the check in time, but the staff said they could not check us in until 5pm. So I took our 2 suitcases to the luggage storage area by walking up the stairs and then walking down the stairs....and found that the storage room was indeed accessed to the ground floor without walking any stairs, but no one told us. Another pair of guests tried to do the same with their luggage and I told them not to walk stairs (while they walked up half the stairs...) but enter thru the ground floor back-door.

So then we went back to the hostel at 4pm, saw a staff, he firstly said check in only from 5pm, we didnt care and planned to just sit down and wait...suddenly he said he could check us in and gave us a room in 5 mins, and even helped us to take our 2 heavy suitcases to the 3rd floor with walking up the stairs. Yes he was helpful and I wish their website stating the check in time clearly so I could re-arrange my travel plan.

All in all, with what I paid, I am satisfied.

Room Tip: No lifts, so if you are carrying heavy suitcases, request a lower floor.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dorset, United Kingom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

I have to give a mixed review for this hostel. I was travelling with my wife and two 18 yo children. The points I wasn't happy with: We originally booked for two nights, then contacted the hostel by email later while travelling asking if we could extend this to 5 nights, receiving a confirmation that this "was ok". On arrival I had to show the staff that email to actually get those nights as they could not find the reservation. The room had a double bed and two bunks, with no storage space for clothes, just a sofa. The sink in the room had no hot water, neither did the sink in the shower room next door. There are no kitchen facilities for guests who wish to self cater, only a room with tables and chairs which contains a small fridge freezer and a kettle. We had to ask for plates, mugs and cutlery. On arrival we should also have been asked to fill in a registration form which is required by law and have one passport copied. This was not done. My wife and I discovered that when you stay in Fussen, your landlord should provide plastic "Fussen Cards" which give the holder free travel on the local buses and trains, which includes the bus to Hohen-Schwangau and Neushwanstein Castles, about 3k distant. When we asked about theses we were given a single paper registration receipt, which we were told was the same thing. It was refused by the bus drivers.

The good parts:- We contacted the owner who was able to provide the cards the next evening and was very apologetic. The hostel is only a short distance from Fussen Old Town, the Torist info centre and the railway station and the town and surrounding area is very pretty.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

Lovely place very clean, was great to have free Wifi too.
House L.A. is in a great location for walking into town to restaurants or walking to the local supermarket.
Only complaint was that I found it a bit cold in our room on the top floor.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to House L.A.? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about House L.A.

Address: Welfenstr.39 | Wachsbleiche 2, 87629 Fussen, Bavaria, Germany
Location: Germany > Bavaria > Swabia > Fussen
Free Parking
Ranked #9 of 15 Specialty Lodging in Fussen
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Odigeo so you can book your House L.A. reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
House l.a. Hotel

If you own or manage House L.A., register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.