“Nice place......bad personality!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 25 Fussen B&B and Inns
Bluffton, Ohio, United States
“Nice place......bad personality!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

Suzanne's B&B in Fussen is a nice location, clean and well kept! The pleasantries end at the front door!! We arrived around 7PM and made to feel as though she didn't have time for us. The next morning it was the same thing! When we asked for some help arranging a trip to Neuchswainestien she barked at us ".......you're late!". We were told we should have asked, but she had been too busy the night before and too busy with breakfast in the morning!

She struck us as a lady who wanted to be a martyr and that it's all about her, not her guests! I'm sure there are better places to stay where you can feel like a guest, not a nuisance to the hostess!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Nieuwegein, The Netherlands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

We arrived unexpectedly in Suzanne's bed and Breakfast. She had no guests at all, so we askes for 2 double bedrooms.
She looked very stressed and not very friendly, but as we had travelled whole day we decided to stay at her place.
Unfortunately she didn' like at all to have guests, in fact, it looked as if we were most UNwelcome! But she liked to have the money, as she complained abut having no guests this season as there were roadworks near her place so it was to difficult to reach.
Well, we wonder if that is the reason..........as there are so many negative comments on her, peolple are being wise not chosing her Bed and Breakfast.
It' s a pity we didn't read all these reviews.
Anyway, the place is beautiful but there are so many other charming gasthauser and gaststatte in the surroundings with much nicer staff !

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Fano, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

The house looks like that of little red riding hood grandma's with a marvelous garden in a peaceful road. Even though the railway is near, the room was very silent. The breakfast is typical and served by the landlady dressed in the bavarian tracht. Our room was not very big, but clean and comfortable. The landlords (Suzanne and her husband) were so kind to take care of our dog during our visit to the castles! This is certainly a place where we would come back. Highly recommended.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Edmonton, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

I was initially a bit hesitant to book a room at Suzanne's after reading so many negative reviews, but after being unable to find another room in Füssen, we decided to give it a shot. We found that, having prepared ourselves for a host who is slightly rough around the edges (and I would recommend similarly preparing yourself if you choose to stay here), our stay was just fine. We had originally booked the smallest room (shared bathroom on the ground floor), but Suzanne upgraded us to the attic at no extra cost, which was a pleasant surprise. Although the ceilings are very low (if you're taller than 5'5", you'll have to sit on a stool while showering), the room is nice and the beds are comfortable. The property itself is beautiful, and is conveniently located next to the train station (where you also catch the buses to see the castles). Suzanne also spent some time with us after our arrival to give us directions into town and provide a dinner recommendation.

Breakfast is very good, but is only served for an hour and fifteen minutes (8-9:15am). If you like to sleep in a bit while traveling and have a later breakfast, this is not the place to stay. Also, Suzanne charges an additional 5 euro per stay to use the internet, which is highway robbery because the computer is an antique that takes an eternity to boot and then continually freezes/locks up for the first 20 or so minutes it's in operation. Save the cash and, if necessary, use the internet cafe in town for cheaper rates and a faster connection.

If you're traveling as a pair and don't mind sharing a bathroom, the small room seems to provide the best value. The other rooms seem a bit overpriced for what you get, especially given the limited breakfast window and internet surcharge.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Avignon, France
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

After spending the day in Fuessen admiring the nearby castles and mountain scenery, I found myself at Professor Umbridge's private residence (pardon the Harry Potter reference). Suzanne treated me like an inconvenience during my entire stay, which was for only one evening, thank goodness. I did not know that she required cash-only payments, so when I arrived, and she demanded payment (in exact change, she specified), I told her that she would have to wait until the morning when I returned from the ATM. Unlike what happened to another reviewer (which I am very upset to read of this experience), she let me stay, but in the morning at the most inconvenient breakfast time, she told me to "cough up the money." I've never met such a hostile American who fancies dressing up in dirndel to pretend to be German and who treats paying customers as nothing more than "exact change" to go into her piggy bank. No wonder the property is so beautiful, there has to be something to hide her ghastly behaviour and rudeness. I highly recommend that you chose a different b&b, one where you can have a true cultural experience (i.e. with an actual German), a better quality breakfast, a polite if not humble hostess, and where you may touch the egg cooker without being yelled at.

Room Tip: If you get lucky, you won't have to pay an arm and a leg for the broom closet I slept in. Chanc...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Elgin, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

This is a beautiful B&B in a great location - 5 minute walk to downtown shops and sites in Fussen. The email correspondance was friendly and timely. The rooms are nice - it's spotless and the breakfast was your typical European fare. The only real problem I had was that it was completely impersonal. I received an email with the code to unlock the front door and our room key was in the door. Noone greeted us and noone was around for the whole stay. One employee was there for breakfast the first morning to see if we were ok and to collect the balance due. The 2nd morning she popped in to make sure all was fine and that was it. That was the only time we saw another human being here. To me a B&B is all about meeting the other people, the owners of any other B&B I've stayed in have always been around, involved, helped with information, sat and chatted or at the very least welcomed you when you arrived. You might as well stay at a big hotel chain - and even some of those have more personal service than here. Too bad - it's a nice place.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
St. Louis
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2012

We were traveling throughout Europe and staying at B&B's along the way. I have to say that while the B&B was very lovely, the host (Suzanne) was not. She asked that we let her know what time we would arrive which was a little difficult as we did not have a cell phone and the other places we were staying did not have internet. However we managed to give her a general time frame and even told her the two trains we would be taking. She gave me the information to get into the house incase it was later. We ended up making it before the time I told her, however it was during the time she told me that the "reception" area was open so I didn't think it would be a problem. When we got there she just stared at us like we were aliens and what were we doing in the house. Very gruff she said "you're early"...sorry! Anyway she showed us to the attic--which is very small and I could only stand up in the middle. We knew that the ceiling was low but was not expecting it to be as bad as it was. Plus in order to get to the bathroom you had to put the trap door down as it is on the other side of the steps.
She did give us a map and suggested a nice place for dinner. I even complimented her on giving a discount and allowing payment to be made at a bank in the US because then I didn't have to worry about having money set aside, etc. She didn't say thank you or anything. She then asked us what our plans were for the next day we told her we wanted to go to the castles in the morning and then we were heading to our next destination of Garmisch. What are you going to do with your luggage and why do you want to go there were the next things out of her mouth very rudely. Well we were going to see if we could leave it with her (we had 2 backpacks) but after that comment we put them in the lockers at the station. And then wanted to know how we were going to get to Garmisch. Does it really matter why we are going to someplace?
The next morning she served breakfast at 8:00 and not a minute sooner. We just took some bread/meat to go as we wanted to get up to the train station to drop luggage and get to the castles early since we didn't have reservations (she said we wouldn't need them). She kept a watchful eye over everyone and yelled at one other guest when he tried to help himself to making an egg--if you don't want the guests doing something then you should have a sign! Anyway, I think she is way overpriced and her attitude killed any beauty of the B&B.
I would NOT recommend staying with her.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Suzanne's? Share your experiences!