“Did the trick.” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 24 Fussen B&B and Inns
Edmonton, Canada
“Did the trick.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

I was initially a bit hesitant to book a room at Suzanne's after reading so many negative reviews, but after being unable to find another room in Füssen, we decided to give it a shot. We found that, having prepared ourselves for a host who is slightly rough around the edges (and I would recommend similarly preparing yourself if you choose to stay here), our stay was just fine. We had originally booked the smallest room (shared bathroom on the ground floor), but Suzanne upgraded us to the attic at no extra cost, which was a pleasant surprise. Although the ceilings are very low (if you're taller than 5'5", you'll have to sit on a stool while showering), the room is nice and the beds are comfortable. The property itself is beautiful, and is conveniently located next to the train station (where you also catch the buses to see the castles). Suzanne also spent some time with us after our arrival to give us directions into town and provide a dinner recommendation.

Breakfast is very good, but is only served for an hour and fifteen minutes (8-9:15am). If you like to sleep in a bit while traveling and have a later breakfast, this is not the place to stay. Also, Suzanne charges an additional 5 euro per stay to use the internet, which is highway robbery because the computer is an antique that takes an eternity to boot and then continually freezes/locks up for the first 20 or so minutes it's in operation. Save the cash and, if necessary, use the internet cafe in town for cheaper rates and a faster connection.

If you're traveling as a pair and don't mind sharing a bathroom, the small room seems to provide the best value. The other rooms seem a bit overpriced for what you get, especially given the limited breakfast window and internet surcharge.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Avignon, France
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

After spending the day in Fuessen admiring the nearby castles and mountain scenery, I found myself at Professor Umbridge's private residence (pardon the Harry Potter reference). Suzanne treated me like an inconvenience during my entire stay, which was for only one evening, thank goodness. I did not know that she required cash-only payments, so when I arrived, and she demanded payment (in exact change, she specified), I told her that she would have to wait until the morning when I returned from the ATM. Unlike what happened to another reviewer (which I am very upset to read of this experience), she let me stay, but in the morning at the most inconvenient breakfast time, she told me to "cough up the money." I've never met such a hostile American who fancies dressing up in dirndel to pretend to be German and who treats paying customers as nothing more than "exact change" to go into her piggy bank. No wonder the property is so beautiful, there has to be something to hide her ghastly behaviour and rudeness. I highly recommend that you chose a different b&b, one where you can have a true cultural experience (i.e. with an actual German), a better quality breakfast, a polite if not humble hostess, and where you may touch the egg cooker without being yelled at.

Room Tip: If you get lucky, you won't have to pay an arm and a leg for the broom closet I slept in. Chanc...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Elgin, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

This is a beautiful B&B in a great location - 5 minute walk to downtown shops and sites in Fussen. The email correspondance was friendly and timely. The rooms are nice - it's spotless and the breakfast was your typical European fare. The only real problem I had was that it was completely impersonal. I received an email with the code to unlock the front door and our room key was in the door. Noone greeted us and noone was around for the whole stay. One employee was there for breakfast the first morning to see if we were ok and to collect the balance due. The 2nd morning she popped in to make sure all was fine and that was it. That was the only time we saw another human being here. To me a B&B is all about meeting the other people, the owners of any other B&B I've stayed in have always been around, involved, helped with information, sat and chatted or at the very least welcomed you when you arrived. You might as well stay at a big hotel chain - and even some of those have more personal service than here. Too bad - it's a nice place.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
St. Louis
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2012

We were traveling throughout Europe and staying at B&B's along the way. I have to say that while the B&B was very lovely, the host (Suzanne) was not. She asked that we let her know what time we would arrive which was a little difficult as we did not have a cell phone and the other places we were staying did not have internet. However we managed to give her a general time frame and even told her the two trains we would be taking. She gave me the information to get into the house incase it was later. We ended up making it before the time I told her, however it was during the time she told me that the "reception" area was open so I didn't think it would be a problem. When we got there she just stared at us like we were aliens and what were we doing in the house. Very gruff she said "you're early"...sorry! Anyway she showed us to the attic--which is very small and I could only stand up in the middle. We knew that the ceiling was low but was not expecting it to be as bad as it was. Plus in order to get to the bathroom you had to put the trap door down as it is on the other side of the steps.
She did give us a map and suggested a nice place for dinner. I even complimented her on giving a discount and allowing payment to be made at a bank in the US because then I didn't have to worry about having money set aside, etc. She didn't say thank you or anything. She then asked us what our plans were for the next day we told her we wanted to go to the castles in the morning and then we were heading to our next destination of Garmisch. What are you going to do with your luggage and why do you want to go there were the next things out of her mouth very rudely. Well we were going to see if we could leave it with her (we had 2 backpacks) but after that comment we put them in the lockers at the station. And then wanted to know how we were going to get to Garmisch. Does it really matter why we are going to someplace?
The next morning she served breakfast at 8:00 and not a minute sooner. We just took some bread/meat to go as we wanted to get up to the train station to drop luggage and get to the castles early since we didn't have reservations (she said we wouldn't need them). She kept a watchful eye over everyone and yelled at one other guest when he tried to help himself to making an egg--if you don't want the guests doing something then you should have a sign! Anyway, I think she is way overpriced and her attitude killed any beauty of the B&B.
I would NOT recommend staying with her.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2011

This B&B is so quaint from the outside, pine clad with a nativity scene in the garden and balconies appreciating views to the Austrian mountains. Unfortunately this all falls by the wayside when you are greeted by the owner and manager of this B & B. Suzanne was so rude to us from the moment we stepped foot inside. Despite her having no other guests we were made to feel like we were inconveniancing her! She didn't providfe any fresh towels or make our beds in the two nights we stayed there. Breakfast was extremely basic and I got my head bitten off for taking the lid off the coffee as I would make it cold for everyone else! She promised to give us bathing towels and a bus timetable and neitehr appeared. We asked why our rooms had not been made up and she said she wasn't able to get in our rooms (she has a key), she promised to make the beds when we went out for supper but she didn't step foot in the room and offered no apology or excuse. The only time she smiled was when she took our money for the room but the rest of the time she was just ghastly, frosty, cold, rude and not someone who should work in the service industry. If she let someone else meet and greet and clean the rooms and prepare the breakfasts this could be a lovely little guest house as the rooms are nice and the shower rooms are clean. Expensive (90 euros for a twin room per night) for a basic breakfast and dreadful service. Too far out of town and next to a trainline - which can be heard from the rooms.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Encinitas, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2011

We were warned by a travel guide book that the hostess was a bit rough, but that was an understatement. We chose to stay there anyway because they had a large room that would fit our family of 5. From the moment we arrived she treated our family like we were a disease. My husband went to town early one morning and brought a cup of coffee back for me and she said that she would not allow him to bring it up to the room. She finally relented but let him know very gruffly that if there was any spill that we would be charged for it.....and God forbid that you accidentally walked beyond the entryway with your shoes on!
The room was clean, large and very comfortable. The breakfast was fine, although Suzanne stood on watch over the diningroom which seemed to put a damper on any friendly conversation between the guests. We would not recommend this establishment.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

Suzanne was a lovely host who gave great recommendations for sightseeing as well as places to eat! The breakfast fair was typical European continental. Suzanne grew up in the states and speaks English which helps those challenged with their German.

Beautiful garden and quaint mountain decor.

Room Tip: She does not take credit cards
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

Been to Suzanne's? Share your experiences!