“Extremely comfortable hotel and restaurant” 5 of 5 stars

Deutsches Haus
Weinmarkt 3, 91550 Dinkelsbuhl, Bavaria, Germany   |
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Dinkelsbuhl
New York City, New York
“Extremely comfortable hotel and restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

Smack in the old center of beautiful Dinkelsbuehl we stayed one night in this historic property. We had a suite in the front of the building, overlooking the marketsquare and the old church. Our rooms were in the old style, with exposed beams and white-washed walls, but at the same time modern and very comfy beds. We also had an excellent dinner and breakfast was certainly no disappointment either. Dinkelsbuehl is one of these perfect stopover places on your way north or south.

Room Tip: get a suite (or family room) for a couple euros more, it's worth it.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

A good hotel - spacious rooms, very clean, superb duvets, and, most important: you sleep in the most beautiful house in Dinkelsbuhl. You will see tourists making pictures of your house all day long - the facade is just gorgeous.
Our room (2nd floor, front) was very spacious, and beds were good, though perhaps a bit too soft to my liking. This is a 4-star hotel, but the 4 stars mainly come from the services offered, in my view. The room in itself, while perfectly good, was perhaps a bit too expensive and just a bit too basic to really warrant 4 stars. Some of the furniture has a bit of a 90s feel, the bathroom is modern and clean, but lacks a touch of luxury, curtains did not block out the light sufficiently, breakfast service could have been more prompt. We were perfectly happy with our room, but found 129 eur a bit overpriced compared to other and similar hotels in the region. I have not stayed elsewhere in Dinkelsbuhl, but guess this is the place to be in town, judging by the customers in the restaurant, and the cars outside.
DInkelsbuhl is a small town. so it attracts a lot of people on a weekendnight for dinner etc, but at night things were quiet outside.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Bamberg, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

We stayed her for a couple of nights. Check in was very easy. We unloaded our bags not thinking they would take the car to an unknown location, We left some water in our car and they looked a little perturbed that we asked could we get to our car. So we just said forget it. The room was very large. They did not have a lift so we did have to lug two suitcases up two flights of stairs. I did find a mushroom under the couch when we sat down. The bathroom was very large as well. We had a drainage problem in the shower (which was very small). I found the room very warm and not well venilitated. Luckily...we had brought our own fan. We needed it for the bathroom. The room was on the fromt side of the hotel. I was concerned about the noise but I found the room very quiet. The bedding was ok. We slept comfortably. We only found one english TV show (CNN) which did not last the entire night. The channel changed around 2100 to a German TV show. You get one bottle of water for free. The hotel is centrally located and easy to walk through the city. We did have dinner at the restaurant next door for dinner. They had dinner in the hotel but the restaurant was very crowded. We did have breakfast the next morning. It was just ok. I have had better...I have also had worse. The coffee was very good.Ignore my rating for the pool and fitness center. The had neither. My app would not let me change it to nothing after I had pushed it. Not sure if this would be my choice again.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the front side for the best view.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Tucson, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

It doesn't get much more authentic than Deutches Haus. Beautiful woodwork, ceiling paintings, and collections of antiques. Our room was spacious with modern and clean bath. No elevators and limited parking. Navigaitng three floors of stairs as seniors was a bit of an aggravation but worth it once we got there. Dinner in the house was well prepared, tasty and authentic. Breakfast was traditional and nothing special. Dinkelsbuhl is a delightful town to walk around and explore the traditional old world timbered German construction. Nearby beer garden through the gate and across river provided relaxing resting spot and local flavor.

Room Tip: Our room was overlooking the back alley. Not very scenic but probably quieter than the front of the...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
home
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

We arrived in DInkesbuhl without a reservation and the people at the information kiosk just inside the gate directed us to Deutsche Haus and I'm glad they did. Lovely old house, formerly part of the Winemarket, nicely restored and updated. We had a very large and spacious room on the 2nd floor with a modern bath. The only neative was we could not get the wifi to work. The staff were all wonderful. Breakfast was great; we were offered eggs cooked to order in addition to the usual assortment of breads, meats, cheeses and fresh fruit, yogurt etc. We also enjoyed a wonderfull dinner there. The hotel has a great locatiom; in the heart of the old town directly across fro St Georg's.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

Very well restored building with the dining room features being of particular interest. The room was spacious and comfortable, however the street noise factor detracted very much from our stay. As the hotel was virtually empty, I am somewhat mystified as to why we would be given a room facing the street - perhaps more thought needs to be given as to room allocation. Service was efficient, food good with a very good breakfast.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Hiratsuka Japan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2011

First of all I REALLY wanted to like this place. It is a beautiful and historical building and that alone would have earned stars from me had not the “attitude” of the owner quickly destroyed any such prejudgment.

To begin with the hotel is at the exact center of town. There is no loading zone and the day I arrived no parking for many blocks away. The entire walled area of the town has a 1 hour parking limit until 2300 hrs. so I’m not sure about the previous rater’s comment about on street parking. We ended up double parking to unload, which was NOT appreciated by the heavy traffic trying to negotiate the very busy street.

Inside the owner, whom in the two days I was there never dressed in other than jeans and a casual shirt, looked up from the bar, which serves as a check-in counter where he was on his laptop and totally ignored us. After a few “entschuldigungs” a helpful young girl came out of the kitchen and checked us in and parked our car somewhere for a fee. The next morning she retrieved the car before breakfast so as to secure a parking place in front so that we could load the car to leave. This was the only remarkable service rendered that I can think of, but then it wasn't free was it?

The hotel was basically empty except for us and we were given the infamous room 15 mentioned in a previous comment. Since it is the easiest room to clean on the 2nd floor I guess it is first to be booked. Indeed the window does open onto the alley where the kitchen staff congregate to talk and smoke, but now with the no smoking laws the customers that want to smoke end up under the window as well. Consequently it IS noisy and can be smelly. Luckily it was not so hot the day we were there so the window could be closed.

For some reason the streets around this hotel are busy all night, and traffic noise was disturbing even though we were in a rear room.

The room was functional, not particularly roomy, and a bit Spartan, but everything was clean and in order.

The famous restaurant was a big disappointment, but I will detail that experience under the "restaurant" category.

Breakfast was the minimum one can expect from any German hotel. Nothing special, and very little food actually put out, probably because as best as I could figure there were only two parties staying there and they didn't want to waste anything. Hardly inviting to see a tray with 4 slices each of cheese, various cold cuts and a basket with a 1/2 dozen rolls awaiting your selection

Ok so far not so bad I guess but the own really gave me a bad impression. First the total disdain when we arrived, and then later his sitting at his private table by the front door drinking and playing some game with his personal friends while totally ignoring his imploding restaurant and unserved guests just gave me the clear impression that he doesn't care. Now I don't expect a hotel to gush all over me but come on, this guy didn't know his customers existed and didn't seem to care much until time to pay. Not a warm welcoming host, that I can say without reservation. I can excuse a lot if the staff and owner try, but this place just coasts by. Do the minimum required.

Would I stay here again..............NO.

Room Tip: Stay away from room 15 unless you like cigarette smoke and tipsy chatter
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Deutsches Haus? Share your experiences!