“Good service, interesting building” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Dorint Hotel An der Kongresshalle Augsburg

You added Dorint Hotel An der Kongresshalle Augsburg to your Saves list
Dorint Hotel An der Kongresshalle Augsburg
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Imhofstrasse 12, 86159 Augsburg, Bavaria, Germany (Formerly Dorint Novotel Augsburg)   |
Ranked #7 of 32 Hotels in Augsburg
Heidelberg
“Good service, interesting building”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

The Dorint Augusbug has a really interesting architectural design. It was built in the 70es but has been remodeled carefully and is up to date. Parking is right next to the hotel in a parking garage (fee). You can reach the city center in about 15 minutes by foot or 5 minutes with a tram. We had a weekend arragement with a dinner. Dinner was very well and so was the breakfast. Our room was on a high floor, so we had a nice view over the city of augsburg. Everything was clwan and we even got a welcome present in our room (some christmas cookies). I would stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dorint A, Manager at Dorint Hotel An der Kongresshalle Augsburg, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Dear guest,

thank you for your nice review.
We are happy that you liked your stay in our hotel.

Your team from Dorint Hotel Augsburg

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Turkish first
Monaco-Ville, Monaco
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

I drove through Augsburg and as a collector of unusual hotel experiences (see my travelblog) thought I'd pay the Dorint Augsburg a visit, due to its quasi famous architecture. What a disappointment. The lobby was deserted. The bar dull. The restaurant dark and dead and closed at 2 pm. A big permanent sign in the lobby recommended to ask for a card to visit the viewing area on the highest floor. When I did, the receptionist turned me away rudely "I can't allow you up there. It's a conference area." Considering there was no conference that day, me being dressed smart enough, and being an Accor Platinum member, I was really surprised by the rude turn-away. When I walked around the hotel anyway, the receptionist watched me as if I was an intruder, even phoned her colleague in the restaurant to keep an eye on me. Hilarious. Made me smile. But can't give more than one point for such deadly Dorint service.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Dear guest,

thank you for your review.
We are sorry that you did not like our hotel.

We do not have a public viewing area and there isn't any sign to ask for key cards,
except for special conference/banquett attendees. But this is no excuse for the way,
how this was told you. We are sorry for that.

New Ulm, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

I stayed at the Dorint during a recent business trip in Augsburg. The hotel was very nice, the staff was superb and the food was good. Their breakfast has a bit of everything, a little expensive, but everything is for breakfast in Germany - is always the best meal of the day for me when traveling. The rooms were modern and spacious - even the bathrooms, which is sometimes rare in Germany. The hotel is easy to find, but a short ways away from the center of the beautiful city of Augsburg. Parking is available on site for 18 EU per day. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: If you get a room on the front or side of the hotel you will have a nice view. There is a park behin...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

thank you for your review.
We are happy that you enjoyed your stay and we hope to welcome you again.

Your team from dorint Hotel Augsburg
Atlanta, GA, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

There's nothing particularly wrong with this hotel, on the other hand there's nothing really right about it either. It's a sterile tower with balconies in the middle of a residential neighborhood, not particularly convenient to the center of Augsburg.

With respect to the hotel itself, it depends on what you're used to. If you're used to small, cramped 2- and 3-star hotels in Germany and in Europe, then you'll feel like you're in heaven when you're here. If you're an American and you're used to friendly, helpful service and amenities, then it'll be very much lacking. That being said, it's a lot cheaper than your average big-city 5-star hotel, so you get what you pay for. Physically, the rooms are definitely alright.

I've stayed here once with my family and once now on business. When I came with my family with no particularly expectations, it was fine. When I arrived at midnight after a 700 Km night-time drive and needing a 5:30 am wakeup call in the middle of a very hectic and stressful few days of business travel, then this was clearly not what I needed as the hotel is very much in the German mode of providing no service and telling it's guests "you must do..." whatever (as in, "you must park your car in the garage") - I don't recall anyone asking how they could help me or actually helping me.

To me the hotel did have a few advantages:

1. cheap compared to big-city, 5-star hotels;

2. internet access;

3. room service breakfast to save time in the morning;

However, the hotel also had some clear disadvantages:

1. NO valet parking, with the excuse that their insurance doesn't permit this, etc. Most hotels in Germany where I stay offer valet parking, so this doesn't cut it, and as an American I don't particularly enjoy maneuvering around cramped, underground, concrete spaces designed for subcompact rental cars in a normal sized (for Americans) vehicle; I did however succeed in getting in and out without a scratch, that being said this was a waste of my time and just a hassle and given my schedule that day, this time came out of my limited time for sleep that day;

2. No luggage assistance - I had large bags full of files, I had to maneuver them up and down by myself. Additionally, when I was packing my rental car, a lady from the front desk in seeing me doing this did come rushing out to "help", with the consequence of knocking my briefcase off the luggage cart, alas my briefcase contained electronics (computer, ipad, Blackberry, etc.) and a glass water bottle, so now I had broken glass and water sloshing around my briefcase, luckily I rescued the electronics and my papers before they got wet, that being said I still had to get the broken glass and water out of my briefcase;

3. Internet service worked flawlessly, however I was double-billed because I logged in via the WLAN at the bar and then again via the wire from my room - according to the front desk, these are two separate service providers to this was my fault entirely, though frankly it's completely counter-intuitive (and they obviously don't inform you) that logging in downstairs for 24 hrs and then again upstairs in your room will lead to two separate 24-hr charges, that being said even with 2 double-bills for internet access, the aggregate charge was still cheaper than that in many other hotels; I objected more to the obnoxious, rude tone of the front desk clerk telling me that obviously it was my fault and I had to pay twice for 24-hr internet access, which brings me to my real point:

4. this is a German hotel with German "service", meaning that if you're German you'll likely like it as it's better than what a lot of Germans offer, however if you're American and typically stay in international hotels, then the tone of the staff, lack of service, and general sterile, unfriendly, unhelpful style will get on your nerves;

5. they did provide punctual room service breakfast, though food wasn't anything special;

6. the hotel bar where I ordered a quick dinner on my way up to my room had slow service and was full of a crew of very loud, very drunk convention attendees - I ignored them, but they didn't add to the atmosphere.

So, in sum, whether you like the place or not will depend on what you're used to, your expectations, and what services you happen to need. I do confess in writing this review that I'm generally pretty spoiled in terms of service, and so my mind set may be different from that of many of the Germans who also reviewed this hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

thank you for your review.
We are sorry that you were disappointed with many points and did not get some services,
you are used to.
We will discuss your points internal and try to improve our standards.

Lippstadt, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

I stayed at the Dorint in Augsburg for just 1 night. Someone had booked a junior suite for me, which was a little surprise upon arrival.
The suite was decorated nicely and the bath was nice and clean too. They tried to be as stylish as possible. Although trying, there was no real charm. The room had 2 balconies where you could sit outside. Unfortunately the weather was bad so I couldn't enjoy.
Since the AC didn't work well I decided to leave the windows open all night. I had a great sleep with tons of fresh air.
There is one negative thing about the room I have to mention. I don't like this in general, but I'm annoyed if they put central switches (operated with your room card) turning off all power when you leave.

Their staff was very helpful and we god an excellent recommendation for dinner from the bar tender that night. Thank you for that.

Room Tip: The view from the junior suite is great.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

thank you for your review.

We are happy that overall you enjoyed the stay, and we hope, to welcome you again
in the near future.
Sofia, Bulgaria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

I had a business trip in Augsburg for just one night, so I had to make a fast search for hotels in the area and this one was stating that is the best in Augsburg. Well, they were right. Smooth, clean, nice furnished business hotel. Everything that a man traveling for business needs its there, served with German accuracy and simplicity.

I stayed in a suite at one of the highest floors. Great view, great bed, good amenities in the room.
I had to meet some partners in Augsburg so I needed a good restaurant. The receptionist was fast and with perfect selection of restaurant for us. Good English, professional approach. Fast check-in, even faster check-out. What more can you ask...

Finally, the breakfast - tasty, good selection of foods and drinks, just great.

Always comeback there when in Augsburg.

Room Tip: HIghest floor, as the view is great.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Dorint A, Manager at Dorint Hotel An der Kongresshalle Augsburg, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Dear Guest,

thank you very much for your nice review.
We are really happy, that you enjoyed the stay in our hotel,
and we look forward to welcome you again, hopefully in near future.

With best regards

east coast
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012 via mobile

When looking for this hotel it was difficult to find amongst all the building sites and general tat, but when we finally saw it, it was a huge round tower, we were quite surprised. Don't know how we missed it! Not sure how old it is, but not very. Huge reception area with bar and seating. Very friendly check in staff. We had a very nice room on a high floor - can't remember which one, with a balcony which would have been great but the view was pretty grim. Nicely designed room, all very flash but in putting an opaque glass window between the bedroom and bathroom, the sleeping person gets woken up by bright lights when the other half goes to the bathroom. A blind or something would be a good idea. Otherwise the room was good. Secure underground parking. We were in a large group and the barman was overwhelmed. Despite this, he was doing his best but couldn't keep up good service with the numbers. We ate in but unfortunately, the carvery roast had all run out by the time we ate so we had pork chops. Nice but not the same. However, what we did have was good and the waitress friendly. Excellent breakfast. I enjoyed my night at the Dorint but would not stay there again because it it's location. Would be ideal for business/conference use.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Dorint A, Manager at Dorint Hotel An der Kongresshalle Augsburg, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
Dear Guests,

thank you very much for your time and your review.

We are happy that overall you enjoyed your stay in our hotel.

With best regards

Your team from Dorint Hotel Augsburg

Been to Dorint Hotel An der Kongresshalle Augsburg? Share your experiences!