“Hotel Karmeliten: Worth Considering” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Karmeliten

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Regensburg
Hotel Karmeliten
You added Hotel Karmeliten to your Saves list
Dachauplatz 1, 93047 Regensburg, Bavaria, Germany   |
Ranked #39 of 46 Hotels in Regensburg
Southern California
“Hotel Karmeliten: Worth Considering”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2009

Convenient 10 minute walk --part alongside beautiful park, part on a pedestrian street-- from the train station. On the edge of Regensburg's compact and easily navigable old city which is mostly pedestrian streets.

Worth a stay if only for the enormous brass room keys! Friendly and helpful desk staff. Rooms try to be brightly colored and cheery --mine had 15foot ceilings and large ensuite with tub/shower-- but it is a former monastery, after all. Upper floor rooms seem best.

Never saw other guests except at breakfast in small second floor eating rooms. At Christmas Markt season, seemed to be used by middle-aged to older German tour groups. Good buffet as described by other reviewers.

Room noise: Was on top floor so ceiling noise. No noise from adjacent rooms either. Inner rooms --like I had-- face an inside courtyard that has outdoor bar seating. Even with cold weather there was a private reception one evening. I imagine it must get very loud during warm weather. Outside rooms face street --see other reviews for bad experiences. I think it's a gamble no matter what.

Would stay again, but would also look into the many other hotels in the old city.

• Liked — Location, room size and facilities
  • Disliked — Not an eye popper
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2008

If I were to decide as to whether I would return to the hotel based on the staff, my answer is a definite yes. But if it were to be based on the room, then I might have to ponder.

First off, the various receps were exceedingly friendly, pleasant, smiley, and helpful! Even the room-cleaning ladies and the breakfast room staff were nice and polite. The setback for me was the room itself.

Was given a room on the back-facing corridor of 2nd floor which happened to be rather old and dingy, and there wasn't a decent view outta room window. I can appreciate that the hotel itself was old and full of history and character but my room was a tad too noisy - perhaps due to the ripe old age and condition of the establishment. Maybe it was the heating system or just the connecting pipes of the bathroom, I was met with noise almost throughout my 2-nite stay there. Walls were amazingly thin such that I often heard my next-door neighbor pluggin in his/her electrical gadget and/or whenever someone was making his/her way down the hallway.

Breakfast was nice and adequate, and I especially liked that they had freshly cut fruits for a nice fruit cocktail (the kiwi was a pleasant surprise!).

The readily available cnn on the TV in my room was a definite plus. Good proximity from the train station and especially from the city center as well!

• Stayed October 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Doha, Qatar
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2008

Stayed at Hotel Karmeliten for two nights with a friend. I had booked so long ago that I had forgotten why I had requested a "quiet" room. The hotel is well run, the room was very large, everything sparkled, chocolate on each pillow. We were given a voucher for a complimentary drink at the very pleasant bar near reception. We thought we had hit the jackpot.
The first night was very comfortable and the breakfast was delicious.
The second night was a different story. The noise outside was ghastly. It got worse and worse and at 6 am they were kicking beer cans up and down the street below our third floor window. It was exhausting - I did not think people could scream so loudly for such prolonged periods. Of course at about 4 am it all came back to me as to why I had requested the quiet room. I had read reviews on this site warning to request a room well away from THE BAR!!!
Warning: ask for a room the other side of the building to the bar. Keep emailing them to confirm this and when you check in, make sure you have got what you asked for.
It is such a pity that such a nice hotel has such a ghastly bar. I mentioned it at check-out, saying I had not had any sleep and that I had requested a quiet room. "Sorry" was all that was said.
I don't think I would risk staying there again. We stayed on a Tuesday and Wednesday night, so it's not just a weekend thing. I can't imagine the hotel doing anything about the noise, as this bar must be a huge money spinner for them.
Regensburg is a lovely little city and despite THE BAR, we enjoyed our stay.

• Liked — Great room, good breakfast.
  • Disliked — The dreadful noise at night
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
nottingham, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2008

I came across the Karmeliten when I first wandered into town from the station. It looked elegant and historic - classy but not pretentious. They gave me a room straight away and I stayed four days - three more than I had planned. Really super staff including the proprietor - a charming, cultured lady of the old school. The town is a gem and I enjoyed getting to know the cabin staff on the river trips. I would recommend the hotel to anyone.

• Liked — Charming atmosphere
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed June 2005, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Kingsbury, Warwickshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2007

We arrived at Regensburg with bicycles just as it was getting dark. Our previous hotel was full but they recommended the Karmeliten. We were immediately struck by the old fashioned courtesy of the staff who made us very welcome. They even had a room for the bicycles with paintings on the wall!
Our room was immaculate and the breakfasts were first class.We hope to return one day.

Stayed October 2006
Davidson, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2005

This is our second trip to the beautiful city of Regensburg, Germany but our first stay at the Karmeliten. The building is full of character and everything is always perfectly clean. We had a family room on the second floor with windows facing the street - such a beautiful view for people and snow watching (we live in the South and don't see much of the white stuff)! The staff is extremely helpful, attentive and are always available to assist guests in any way - they speak perfect English as well. Breakfast is included in your rate but it is different that we are accustomed to as there were meats and cheeses, cereals, but no eggs, ect. The pastries and breads were good and the coffee was always very good. The rooms are kept spotless and we left laundry to be done - it was returned the same day ! The bar is cozy and the sitting areas inviting. The food at the hotel restaurant (Italian)was wonderful! Parking is in the gated courtyard which a great asset as a parking spot is a hot commodity in Regensburg and you don't really need to drive. We arrived just in time for the Christmas Markets and the staff were very helpful providing information about all the festivities. The hotel is in a beautiful historic building located minutes by foot to everything, incredible shopping, food, anything you could want. There are bakeries, pastry and candy stores, and the most amazing sandwich stands just blocks from the hotel. There is a "eveything one euro" store, their version of our American Dollar stores just in case you didn't pack enough socks (they have really nice wool socks), a Woolworth's for long johns in case you didn't realize (like us) how VERY cold it is sometimes in Germany in winter especially when it snows!! There must be over one hundred stores within a 5 minute walk (including my favorite yarn store - Wool Rodel). We spent alot of time just walking and looking at the beautiful architecture. Don't miss St. Peter's Cathedral and the other historical buildings. The mall which is less than a 10 minute drive is also a great outing and you pass the Kentucky Fried Chicken and the McDonalds - just in case you are missing American food. We give the Hotel Karmeliten a "10" and look forward to going back again soon.

• Stayed November 2005
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2003

We loved it. We were treated like royalty. It's very old, but they do an excellent job of maintaining the 300-400 year old facility.
Excellent restaurants nearby-didn't try the hotel restaurant. Free continental breakfast every morning. Our 92 Euro rate didn't include the VAT of 16%.

Everyone at the front desk spoke english.

RVV bus stop across the street. Approximately 1 km from the hauptbahnhof. Two blocks from the Danube-all the tour boats were shut down for the season.

Been to Hotel Karmeliten? Share your experiences!