“Perfect for Date night! Or with kids.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Alex

Alex
Hauptmarkt 10, 90403 Nuremberg, Bavaria, Germany (Altstadt - St. Sebald)
0911-24469-80
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #118 of 858 Restaurants in Nuremberg
Cuisines: German, Bar, Coffee Shop, Coffee Shop
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Families with children
Neighborhood: Altstadt - St. Sebald
Ansbach, Germany
“Perfect for Date night! Or with kids.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

My husband and I went to Alex's for date night. We had never been there before and it was a last minute decision-one we are VERY thankful we made! To find it, it is in the opposite corner of the haputmarkt from the golden fountain & up at the top of the stairs. It was awesome. The service, the food, the atmosphere all awesome. My husband had a steak, it was a little pricy but delicious. I had a baked potato with amazing home made sour cream and chives, chicken medallions, sauteed onions and mushrooms and a delicious field salad with their house dressing that was quite tasty! The price was about 15Euro a plate, the drinks were a bit pricy but very well made. We will definitely be going back, it was intimate enough for date night, but we wouldn't feel bad taking our 3 year old there too. (The burgers looked amazing and HUGE though we didn't have one-maybe next time!) They also have a brunch on the weekends that we are interested in visiting!

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Pleasant Hill, California
“Great meet up place!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

It is right at the Hauptmark so it is easy to find. They have the best value on breakfast buffet. Food is very good. There is a wide variety of drinks.

Visited February 2013
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Great Sunday morning brunch - Great view of Hauptmarkt!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

We had arrived late on Saturday night, so our first experience of Nuremberg was this restaurant with our colleagues on Sunday morning.

It was a very busy restaurant and obviously very popular with both tourists and residents alike.

It offers fantastic views of the square.

The food was of really good quality and you could have hot or cold breakfast food of all sorts, as well as a range of pasta for those who were there for "lunch".

The experience was so good that myself and colleagues went back for breakfast later in the week!

• Visited May 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
New York City
“Good food in Hauptmarkt.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

Really great view of Haptmarkt. I thought it was a nice restaurant with a great selection of food. We had some lasagna, flammkuchen, and schnitzel. Lasagna was horrible, but the latter two were pretty good. Drinks were on the sour side, but I was used to it - my friends weren't. I know there are much better restaurants, but this was pretty average and not too bad for the price.

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Prague, Czech Republic
“Bad-mannered, immature staff, hostile to foreigners”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

My wife and I visited this place while on a short trip to Nuremberg from our home in Prague.

Firstly, we have found the staff in Nuremberg's bars and restaurants to be generally helpful, well-mannered and friendly.

Not so with this bar whose staff were none of the above.

Worst offender was the young man who was working the door and had apparently appointed himself as the house comedian, amusing his colleagues at the expense of the customers.

When a chunk of ice flew six feet across the bar and hit me on the elbow, I expected an apology. Instead, the barmen giggled and pointed at each other without even the slightest expression of regret.

If that wasn't a sufficiently remarkable way to behave towards a customer, sitting with his wife, the barman mentioned earlier said in German (which he obviously presumed I didn't understand), “It's because you're English.”

This was greeted by peals of laughter from his colleagues, leading me to wonder if the ice had been thrown deliberately. For the record, neither me nor my wife are English but think that a poor response to something that was, frankly, insulting behaviour.

At the end of the night, we chose to leave a small tip (through the ridiculous embarrassment that causes us to tip bad service) – 85c from a 21.12 Euro bill (though the barman who had served us hadn't put all the change down and we simply tired of the “long counting” charade”). We felt it was more than they deserved.

On leaving, the smart-alec barman stood over the coins we had left on the bar and shouted: “Whoooo!”

When he saw me looking at him, he simply pointed at a colleague, with a stupid expression on his face.

As for the fare, the beer was poorly kept and the cocktails were poor.

• Visited July 2012