“Horrifically bad” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #115 of 131 Hotels in Nuremberg
Tauranga, New Zealand
“Horrifically bad”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2010

Because we heard the name “Royal” we presumed it must be an upmarket hotel. Oh how wrong we were. We were greeted at the Royal Hotel by half a jeep sticking out of the building just above the entrance. From the outside it looked like a panel beater’s workshop. Next we went into the reception area where we are greeted by an over-powering smell of cigarette smoke. We were told that our room would be on the third floor. We asked if there was a lift due to having two rather heavy suitcases. We were given a one word response - “No”. We asked if there was someone to assist us with getting the suitcases up the stairs. Again, the same response. We were then told that breakfast was between 7am and 10am and then asked what time we wanted it. When we said 9.30am the manager/receptionist noticably groaned and seemed irritated with our answer.

At breakfast we noticed they were out of knives and juice. When told about this the same manager/ receptionist said “If you want more juice, I need to go and buy it at shop.” We said that wouldn’t be a problem for us. Ten minutes later the juice arrived, but with no knives. My wife spread her toast with a spoon.

In summary, a woefully unsatisfactory experience.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Meistereck, Geschäftsführer at African Meistereck, responded to this review, August 19, 2010
Dear Sir or Madam

At first we would like to apologize for the inconveniences we have caused you.
If you smelled cigarette smoke at the Reception, we are sorry for that. We will ensure, that it never happen again.

In two star hotels is of course not always a lift. We are sorry for that.

Because of the breakfast, of course you are right. Even close to the end you should have knives and juice. We are sorry if they were out.

But please let us one thing mention too. That something went out close to the breakfast end, could happen. But instead to say "Sorry, but the juice is out", the lady went out and bought new juice just for you. That is something good isn't it?

After all you sayed nothing because of your room or the quality of breakfast. If you like you can contact us via E-mail to discuss that too.

Once again we are sorry and will do better next time.

We hope to welcome you again and prove that we can do better.

Best regards
Dennis Meistereck
Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Cape Town
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2009

Regrettably this hotel was dirty from top to bottom, the bed linen was still dirty from the previous guest ,and had NOT been changed.
I spoke with the owner and his mother who looks after the hotel, who both promised to change the bed linen and never did. with the comment we only change towels and bed linen every three days as I was told this is a Two Star Hotel albeit the charge was Euros 145 per night with NO break fast
The towels were forgotten one day there was none, another day the room was not cleaned nor the dirty bed made up.
The floor was dirty and was never cleaned, there was dust every where.
The TV was the smallest I ever saw in my life, and NO ENGLISH stations Forget the nonsense of using your computer, there was no phone in the room. There was no wardrobe and furniture was very minimal.
The shower had curtains which stopped 6" from the ground adnd the bathroom received minimal assistance in cleansing except for toilet paper.
As the sister hotel of Schweizer Hof, Nurnberg, where I was originally booked. They moved me to what was supposed to be a larger and more luxurious room. I was flabbergasted with the poor standards. No reception room. Forget about sound proofing I was wakened up by drunken guests who made the noise that only drunks can make until after Mid night.
When trying to book out after the first night, I was refused as I had paid in full to Hotel.com FOR 5 X NIGHTS which ended up being a nightmare . Dennis the owner refused to allow me to cancel the booking, when I spoke about the dirty towels and the fact one night there were NONE I was told "do you want me to listen to your complaints all night or do you want me to change the towels!!"
This rates amongst the poorest hotels in the world and certainly the dirtiest !!

• Liked — It was Central to all facilities
  • Disliked — Room was filthy as was the bed linen Dust and dirt everywhere including the floow which was filthy
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to African Meistereck? Share your experiences!