“Pleasant Surprise” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
New York City, New York
“Pleasant Surprise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

My wife and I spent 3 nights at the Grand Hotel last week. We spent most of our time shopping at the Christmas Market which is only a short walk away. The Hotels locations is ideal across from the Train Station and metro, the staff is helpful and the rooms are clean and very well appointed but (small). In the evening we spent time at the Bar...again (small) but the staff was very friendly and welcoming.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

Stopped over in Nuremeburg at this hotel for one night. Great place with enormous rooms and architecture and art to marvel at. Service was excellent and helpful....and although "highbrow" clientele you can still watch football in the bar. Excellent. Full of history...I believe this was where the world's press stayed when covering the trials..they always choose the best.
Great location for train station.

Room Tip: Probably choose one at the back away for Rail station, views not good but quiet.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Köln, Deutschland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

No space to park the car in front of the hotel upon arrival, because everything was blocked by other cars. Given the fact, that this is a highly frequented road, where you cannot really stop.
Very small rooms had to get an upgrade to get a normal sized room with enough space for 2 people.
Had to work in the room one morning, because a meeting was cancelled. The cleaning staff talked extra loud and hit the vacuum cleaner against the door - probably in the hope that I will leave the room soon.
No shower cap available in the bathroom. Had to call front desk to get one brought up to my room.
Very nice staff at reception and in the restaurant. Good food in the restaurant.

Room Tip: If you need more space, book at least a superior room.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dominik R, Manager at Le Meridien Grand Hotel Nurnberg, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Dear Dido,

Thank you very much for your positive comment about our reception and restaurant staff.

It is correct that because of the very good location of the hotel in the heart of Nuremberg the parking space in front of the hotel is limited, especially if more cars arrive at the same time.

We sincerely apologize for the noise caused by housekeeping while cleaning the floors. Please believe me that our housekeeping really put no pressure on our guests to leave the hotel room earlier.

It would be great to welcome you back upon your next trip to Nuremberg.

Best regards,

Dominik Ritz
Operations Manager

Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

This is a lovely historic building with beautiful, stately features inside. We had a standard room on the 4th floor with a view of the Old Town. The room was very nice, well appointed, no in-room amenities like coffee or free wi-fi however, which I always like, but lovely none the less. The only real detraction was the level of noise at night from the street below. Our room did not have double panes, so even with earplugs I woke at every rousing group of shouting men or emergency vehicle screaming by. The breakfast buffet was outstanding and the staff handled the large crowds very well. The spa / fitness center is not anything special. The Sheraton on Eligutstrasse near the Bahnhof has a FABULOUS spa which is why I wanted to go back there on this trip, but it was sold out. The convenience of this hotel just across the street from the Bahnhof and the entrance to Old Town is also a bonus.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
HK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

I stayed there for one night for business. The location is just right next to the Nurnberg station. Easy to walk around and there are many local pastry/chocolate shops and department store. Lots of good local restaurants nearby. However, my room is on the 2nd floor and right nextby the big street and it is a bit noisy. The room is nice and clean but small and the bathroom is also quite small. Service is prompt and friendly. No free wifi though. Good breakfast.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room, the one NOT nextby the big street, if you don't want to hear the cars on t...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
J_rgen_S187310, Manager at Le Meridien Grand Hotel Nurnberg, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
Dear P T
thank you for your review. It is nice to read that you like the location of the hotel with the near by shopping facilities and the great variety of restaurants and the comments about the associates and the breakfast. Once you come back, I am sure we are able to give you abigger room. My team and I wish you a festive season and all the best for 2013.
OC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

We checked into Le Meridian for 4 days after our one week cruise with Viking. Check-in went smoothly, although the room wasn't available until after 3pm, but since the front desk associate was friendly and accommodating, we were able to over looked the delay on the room.

One major mishap occurred soon after we got into the room was, my mom's hair styler(110v) was not compatible with the hotel's 110v wall plugged-in. So, the house keeper brought us one of hotel's converter, but as soon as my my plugged her hair styler in, we saw electrical sparks and the entire room went dark. Needless to say, the hair styler was broken, and 3(my mom, the house keeper and I) of us were in shock, but luckily no one was hurt and my mom wasn't electrocuted. The duty manger(Doris) was called up, upon entering the room, she never once asked us if we were okay, instead, she started to accuse us of bring faulty electronic devices, and forbid us to use any of our electronics which we brought from the U.S. She then called us again from the phone, and told us to walk across the street and buy a new hair styler ourselves, if we need to fix our hair. Needless to say, I was furious, I filed a complaint to another duty manager(Frank) the next morning, he promised he'll get back to me the next day, but never did. I had to follow up at the front desk for the next 2 days.

Finally, Dominique the Operational Manager reached out to me on the last day of our stay, and was very apologetic of the incident, he did his best to provide us with utmost custom care, and some compensation which we were grateful for. But at the same time, it felt to me like it's too little too late, since we had to endure 3 days of stress and inconvenience, and this was suppose to be a special get away for my mother's birthday.

Despite of what we had to endure, I think the hotel is situated in a great historical town, with many shops, department stores, restaurants and train station near by. And I sincerely hope the hotel management would look into these issues and make necessary changes and updates to make the hotel a better one for all future customers.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
J_rgen_S187310, Manager at Le Meridien Grand Hotel Nurnberg, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Dear wowwu
you are absolutely right, we did not manage this situation very well and my sincere apologies for that. Your incident made us think twice and all staff at the reception have been retrained to ask the right questions when a converter is requested. Fortunately nothing happened to you and your mom. Finally, thank you for your positive comments about our city, the location and the good shopping facilities.
Camden, Maine
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

We stayed for 2 nights to visit the Christmas Market and found this hotel not up to Starwood standards. The staff were friendly and helpful but the rooms were a disappointment. Ours was small and the entry area was raised about 2" so that you had to go down a step into the bathroom and up a step to get from the bedroom to the bathroom. These small changes in levels present a hazzard. I asked to be shown rooms without this feature but it seems that this is the case in many of the rooms. The bedroom looked dated and the bathroom was as small as it could be.

There is one elevator from the lobby and the door from it opens into the lobby making it difficult to manage moving suitcases while opening the door to get in our out. The music in the elevator is awful and could be dispensed with.

Our breakfast was included and was good.

Room Tip: Ask for one that has no steps. Our room looked across at the railroad station which was a good view...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
J_rgen_S187310, Manager at Le Meridien Grand Hotel Nurnberg, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Dear susan40550
thank you very much for your constructive feedack and I would like to inform you about a few changes which will happen shortly. In Januayr we will get a new lift cabin and the doors will then open automatically. We are working on the raised levels in the rooms and this refurbishment programme should also be finished within the next few months. As you may know, the hotel was built in 1896 and those days you had various sizes and shapes which we cannot change, but be rest assured that all rooms were refurbished in 2009. As a general good note we appreciate that you praise our associates.
We still hope that you will return one day adn remain.
Jürgen Sziegoleit

Been to Le Meridien Grand Hotel Nurnberg? Share your experiences!