“Good food and friendly service” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Bar, Grill
Good for: Romance, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Victoria, Canada
“Good food and friendly service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

For our last night in Munich we were looking for a small quiet restaurant after spending time in the noisy Hofbrauhaus the previous evening. Our choice could not have been better. From the moment we arrived to when we left, both owners were great and the service was attentive. Now, I will say that we were there on a Monday, their usual closing day. They had opened because it was a holiday and, maybe because of that, the restaurant was fairly quiet so they had time for us. The previous evening when we'd walked by it was packed. We were given our choice of a table and picked a cosy booth. Our food was good value for the price. I loved the dressing on my salad and one of my friends was delighted they accommodated her request for a small side of asparagus with her meal. While I speak enough German to get by, the owners speak very good English and joked around with us. By the end of the evening, we were having our pictures taken with them. So, for us, this restaurant was a great choice and our meal for three was under €100 including wine.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

81% Recommend
Dublin, Ireland
“Very average fondue restaurant.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

This restaurant has a nice old world feel about it but food and service were just average. We all felt it was poor value for the money. The bruschetta starter was plastered with cheese - not a proper bruschetta. Fondue was OK but nothing special. As we paid our bill the waitress came around with a bottle and let us "sniff" the schnapps on offer. We thought she was offering a drink on the house but when we asked if this was the case she promptly disappeared. Shortly afterwards when we went to leave there was no member of staff in sight to say thanks or goodbye for our Euro 500 night out. We were not impressed.

Visited April 2013
“Romantic!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

We were looking for a place that served Raclette - a French/Swiss cheese fondu sort of thing that is great in the cold. But we found more than good food, that atmosphere & service was extraordinary. It was a little pricey but on our next trip to Munich we will certainly have this on our itinerary!

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Berlin, Germany
“Traditional atmosphere, good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Weinhaus Schneider is a quaint German eatery right in the middle of Munich. The atmosphere/decor is very cozy and friendly and perfectly in line with what I would imagine as an old Bavarian restaurant. This restaurant was recommended to me by a local but upon arrival I noticed most people were actually tourists. From my experience, this is generally not a good sign, but fortunately in this case, my experience wasn't completely right. I came looking for Schweinbraten and was not disappointed. The Schweinebraten came on a very interesting old plate, with a Knoedel and some sauerkraut, and the portion was generous. The whole old-style decor and candlelit environment provided for a really nice dining experience, and I felt at times as if I was having dinner in medieval Bavaria. I was however slightly disappointed that the braten was a bit dry and not so crusty, as this is one of the features I like the most about it. Some people have told me that it's traditionally not crusty so maybe this was voluntarily like this, but I still prefer the crusty version from the Oktoberfest tents, so I can't avoid my disappointment. All in all I would have expected a bit more from the Schweinebraten, particularly considering the price paid. Aside from that service was very good. We were greeted with enthusiasm and the waiters were friendly and diligent throughout dinner. I was also pleasantly surprised to see a Portuguese menu, which was a first in Germany for me :)

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Fondue restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

What a find! Only fondue restaurant in Munich and had a range of fondues available, my companion is vegetarian so I assumed I would have to share a cheese fondue. However the manager said they do fondues for one so I had a beef, chicken and pork fondue with six very tasty home made sauces. Staff extremely helpful, very pleasant evening.

Visited March 2013