“Fabulous food in lovely surroundings” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #38 of 2,696 restaurants in Munich
Cuisines: German
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Enjoy the historic atmosphere of medieval Munich in one of the most beautiful locations in the historic city centre. In the lovingly restored vaults of the dukes mill dating back to 1573 we are offering upscale Bavarian cuisine and fine Franconian wines alongside famed and freshly brewed Ayinger draft beer from the families brewery. In the Pfistermuhle there are four vaults with more altogether 95 seats. Thirty additional seats are available in the beer garden in Summer.
Staffordshire
“Fabulous food in lovely surroundings”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013 via mobile

Lovely small restaurant in a delightful old building. Superb service and amazing menu and outstanding food of exceptional quality. We had a thoroughly enjoyable evening and would definitely return, only gripe would be a rather pricey wine list.

88% Recommend
  • Turkish first
“Quiet and romantic.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Loved the vaulted ceilings and candle light. Service was excellent and food done perfectly. Lots of game so if you don't eat deer, rabbit or duck you can still get a beautiful piece of lamb. The pumpkin risotto was a perfect vegetarian dish. My one thought is that it is pricey but you really do get what you pay for. Perfect for a special evening. Enjoy!

Visited December 2012
“German Gem!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012 via mobile

A quiet, romantic, quality German restaurant in the heart of old town. Entrees from 20-40 euros, but food and service make the price well worth it. Extensive wine list, good selection of Ayinger beers.
The copper pot meal included soup, vegetables, potatoes and melt in your mouth roast beef. Bone marrow and brown bread to finish for something different. An excellent veal dish as well. All dishes were authentic German prepared with a modern flair. English menu and at least two of the wait staff spoke excellent English and were very helpful. Reservations highly recommended. A truly amazing meal and a must do in Munich!

Collierville, Tennessee, United States
“Very tasty traditional fare and less expensive than expected.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

My wife and I visited based on online reviews and were not disappointed. We started with terrine of goose liver and lobster bisque, had venison and boar for entrees, and finished with a generous cheese plate. The meal was excellent and the dry German red we enjoyed was surprisingly excellent.

We found the wait staff very attentive and in very good humor. As others have mentioned this seems to be a popular place for business meetings. We were seated next to a group of four businessmen but the restaurant was mostly couples and families. The atmosphere was busy but not noisy or unpleasant.

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
The Hague, The Netherlands
“Bavarian kitchen with a twist”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

I have been walking past this restaurant so many times and never went inside.
During my last trip a local colleague advised it as very good. So why not try it?
Although I didn't make a reservation, it was no problem to be seated.
The menu had lots of game on it and traditional Bavarian dishes.
I wanted to have a starter and a main dish of the a-la-carte section of the menu and the soup of the set menu. To my surprise this was no problem at all.
The lobster as a starter was delicious and nicely presented. The pumpkin soup was a little surprise but was lovely too and had what I think was a little Bavarian touch.
As main course I had saddle of dear calf. the meat was super tender and tasted very good.
I enjoyed the wines I ordered very much. The only remark I can make is that I had to ask to fill my glass with wine after I finished my champagne.
I must admit the advice of my colleague was right. It is a very nice restaurant in a typical Bavarian setting. Price and quality is absolutely in balance.
A place I for sure will go back to when I'm in Munich again.

• Visited December 2012